Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Unregistered
I love those critters and feed them carrots and potato chips. I just hope they don't start wearing patchouli.
luckypabst

They're native to north Africa or some such... The wild burros in the park are leftovers from the mining days, either set free or escapees, and like all good non-native species, they've thrived in their new environment.

There's a good 200 head of burro living in Olancha, most all of which came from the park, under an agreement that NPS stop shooting them and leaving the carcasses to rot...

Chris

tiffhens

To some I suppose the burros can be obnoxious, but it's part of what I love about Saline. They're part of the deal. As long as you don't leave food out (just like you'd do any camping trip), you should be good. Most of them are quite friendly.

On a side note, how did they end up in Saline? Miners? Does anyone know their story? I've always been curious.

Thanks! Hopefully North pass will be open by my birthday next month! I have a Subaru that we take out there, so the snow at the high point is always a concern..

Unregistered

Hey Opal Cadet, I've been wandering deserts and mountains for decades and, sorry fella, but if you see human needs and desires to be more important than the creatures who actually live there (we are the visitors) then you need to stay home.  Yea, the burros have annoyed the hell out of me.  They can be really indignant that you are in their way and loud about expressing their displeasure.  Urban enclaves are for humans, but out here we all just try to get along.

Opel Cadet
"You shouldn't visit the home of wild animals and expect them to abandon one"  -  well, the burros are not native to the scene and if you pick up a free AAA map you can see there are plenty of other water holes in the desert. Lee, as much as I love the guy, has been petting and feeding them especially since his dog died. The last time I was at the springs, I saw donkey manure 2 feet from the source. I do care about wild animals but put human interests first. Why doesn't anybody speak up about human interests here?

JoltinJim

especially the rocks on the golf course...............
inyo

can some one do something about all those rocks?
RoguePhotonic

You shouldn't visit the home of wild animals and expect them to abandon one of the only decent water and food supplies for miles around!

Major Tom

Can you feel the love?

BigMc

Aww!   Springtime at the Springs.  
bgibgi

Spent another wonderful weekend at the springs. The burrows are getting very aggresive. I got waken up again by the damn thing trying to open my cooler.
The wire fence by the lawn had to be raised as the burrows learned to jump over it.
They are making noises at all hours of the day/night. I also observed some males fighting each other.

bgibgi

I got waken up numerous times by the burros this weekend. One came to my truck and tried to open the cooler I kept outside. A shovel on top of the cooler felt scaring the burro. It came back later but I turned the lights on and the lights kept it out.
I've never seen them so aggressive.

Dusty

LOL ...Ok Ok

And I just finished reading Death Valley in '49 about Manly and Rogers Escape from Death Valley. and the Broken down one eyed Mule that basically saved the rescue effort.. ok I got a little tear in my eye.. burros can stay'' just don't feed em ..... Dusty

http://digital-desert.com/death-valley-history/dvin49/contents.html
JoltinJim

Dusty, i think that is a "No" to the burro roast; although one medium burro would feed the whole upper springs over presidents day weekend 2011..........just a thought Tom
Major Tom

The burros have always been a part of the springs, and it isn't that anyone is feeding them. The springs are essentially a big salad bar to these feral creatures. When I was camp host, they were the bane of my efforts, coming in to chomp on plants and poop on the lawn, but what can you do? I would start every day going around with a wheel barrow and pick up the night deposits. It's not particularly nasty sh*t, as sh*t goes. It got me out and about, visiting people, picking up easy hero points, and when you start off your day shoveling sh*t, you know things are gonna just get better from there! (The hint here is: if sh*t offends thee, remove it, and move it to the burn pile out in the road (if we are speaking of the Lower Springs)).

It is that time of year when love is in the air, and Burros Gone Wild is the order of the night. Just a seasonal thing that has been going on for a long time, and will likely continue. I will say there are far fewer burros than the herds that used to rule when I was camp host back in the 80's.

And yes, burros will get into your food if you leave it out. Just as coyotes, ravens, and loose camp dogs will. Best to be a responsible camper and keep a tidy camp. I have never ever heard of a person being bitten or kicked. Dogs yes, but dogs chase burros and annoy them. So my suggestion is, don't annoy the burros and avoid those nasty scars.

They are just part of the scenery, as are the jets and the people who come to visit the springs. We are not native to the area either. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution