Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
paul belanger

Leave the key in the rig?

There are only so many ways out of Saline. 

And my rig has 3 different satellite trackers.  One of which I don't even know where it is on the rig.

If you did drive off in it, you'd get caught.

peneumbra

Paul:

The "square" bodied Ford F-350 4x4 is a very desirable truck - Dana 60s, solid frame, good power plants. Over the years I've seen hundreds of them at the Springs.

Just waiting for somebody to leave the key to one in the ignition...
paul belanger

Thought I had subscribed this thread, didn’t see these responses till just now...

I personally would not likely take it up Steel/Dedeckera Pass, but I haven’t been up there in quite awhile. I would think you’d likely be okay. It’s LONG for sure, not any wider than a standard full size pickup. Steel Pass maybe. Lippincott? No.

I had never owned a slide in style camper before. The complaint I had often heard is there is no storage space for tools and gear. This setup has the “garage” stuff...tools, recovery gear, et cetera in the bins. Clothing, bedding, food....”house” stuff in the camper.

It’s a bone stock ‘93 Ford F-350 4x4 crew cab long bed. It seems to have all the ground clearance one would need. Drivetrain is 460 gas w/5 speed manual tranny. Crank windows, no frills. Less to eff up in the desert.

Truth is, we’ve been building it for Saline Valley for 3 years, but haven’t taken it out yet. Severely ran out of money, just got it finished recently. My work situation has also greatly changed. Getting away for even 3-4 days has not been feasible lately. Come end of summer, we’ll be ready.

Hope to see you all again then!
hughman

I've always appreciated those utility beds with camper, seems such a logical choice. But can you take it up Dedeckara canyon?
paul belanger

Since you asked.....

Attached Images
jpeg 1525634790777227035000.jpg (4.66 MB, 21 views)

minierf

I wish, but seriously: DSC_1987 copy.jpg 
Provan Tiger CX 4x4 on a Chevy Silverado 2500HD chassis, stand up (6ft) sit down, sleep, cook, eat, drink, poop... etc. Self contained unit w/ 30gal of water, propane heat, frig... everything I'll ever need and have needed for the past 7 years! I've been taking it into the springs about 3-4 times a year and never had a flat, got stuck or broken down (knock on wood). Only problem I ever had was a broken engine mount, which I did not notice until I was clear on the other side of the state. I may not set speed records bringing it in, but it'll keep me comfortable while I'm there (usually at least a week).

minierf

20292694_1674800129205156_8012441074610186234_n.jpg 
Lew H

Haven't been out in a couple of years, but we used to be regulars. I've driven out there in several different vehicles, all 4X4 SUVs. I towed my small camper out there once, nearly shook it to pieces. Haven't tried an RTT but a lot of other options. I've had Suburbans for the last several years. My wife made some 4 inch foam pads for the back, and we slept comfortably on them many nights in many places. But you do have to move things around everytime you need to make up the bed. The last few times out, we used a tent with good quality air matreses. Only problem is the wind. but we only had one time when it filled us up with dust and sand. Sleeping in back of the 'burban is a better option when the wind is blowing. What ever you take (everything is a trade off) be sure to take extra everything, gas, oil, belt, water, food, and check the site to see what is needed. I broke down once on the road and several people stopped to help. That's the way it works out there. Prepare for everything you can think of, then go for it. Your second trip, you'll be better prepared.
bmxmtbman

144 wb Sprinter 4x4. I can stand up in it and really love it. 4x4 is good enough for Saline and Baja which is all I really care about. I did the conversion, and it has all the amenities I ever need. 
starryeyedwonder

"...just get a Zetros 3643 6x6 and be done with it!"

I saw something like this last time I was in the springs.  It looked like an apocalyptic off-the-grid armored survival vehicle. The solid flat grey panels really stood out. Then I saw him again, several days later, driving up 395 doing about 40 MPH in the slow lane. To each his own I guess.

Does anyone drive a rig in, which they can walk around in, and really love it???
trigger

Lol! Exactly!!
peneumbra

There's at least one of those - Zetros - somewhere in CO. Might be cool to have in case the Oshkosh 1070 tank transporter is down for service.

"Up, up and away
In my beautiful
My beautiful
BAAABOOON"

trigger

Ahhh hell, just get a Zetros 3643 6x6 and be done with it!

Attached Images
png 70306B39-52E6-4C07-86E7-8BC7CFAE35BB.png (8.27 MB, 12 views)

hughman

@Rabbit how much room do you need for sleeping? My RTT is approximately a queen size bed and cost $1200 and deploys in a couple minutes holds all my sleeping gear in transit and takes approximately 10 minutes to secure. Alu_Cab makes a hard shell RTT deploys in a minute and is secured in 2 but it runs $4500.

@peneumbra It is a well known fact that Saline Valley drunk baboons much prefer ground tents to roof top tents. Like water they find the path of least resistance, that being your tent.

hughman
Trailrider

Leave my kids out of this!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution