Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
wayne

Dear Saline friends....We are still fans of the valley....hope these current and recent storms haven't goofed the roads up....hope to make an annual trip in with pickup and trailer in April - North Pass. Best Wishes....Wayne & Carol Montgomery, Helena, Montana.....camart94102@yahoo.com
James Sel

It may rain on that snow come Monday.
lobo

Will look at mid-April just to be on the dry side, thanks bunches.

SilverBob

This year, probably LATE March!
FVP

March.
lobo

Hi yall
I want to drive into the area but not in snow, when will it be snow free on a wild guess? 

MaxQ

Hello All,

I just wanted to introduce myself, after quite a while of lurking. Since discovering them, Ive been to the Springs three times over the last year- once shortly after the plane that crashed on landing - once shortly after the plane that was destroyed by the crazy storm that took power out in death valley proper, (met the pilots and drove them back into town!) and once way back in April. I was lucky enough to see Emilia the burro nearly ready to pop, and then a month later her beautiful newborn we named Elmer after that second plane. If anyone is aware of the baby's "official" name Id love to know it. I hope the little guy andh is brother ghost are still doing well. I eagerly await my next trip out there, potentially for new years!

I want to express my heartfelt love of Saline valley and the springs, and to everyone that had a hand in making or keeping the place what it is!

Max
tbone ribeye

Thank you for sharing your history of this legendary place.  I could sit and read your stories all day. 
Salt Peter

Greys welcome to SPA. Your glimpse into some wonderful history it great. I know most of us here would enjoy any and all you wish to share.
GreysCreek

Hi Tom-We spoke just once on the phone a few years ago. My Dad owned Saline Valley Ranch. His rock pond was featured in Bill Mann's "Guide To The Remote And Mysterious Saline Valley" on p. 36. I tried to contact Bill to tell him my Dad built that pond back in the 60's, but Bill had just passed away. I have so many letters, documents, photos(of Saline and the warm springs in their natural state) as well as all the eqpt. in Hunter and the water wheel there built by Alice and Fred(some of a few of Hunter's part time residents. The tram was still in tact and my brother and cousin had fun climbing to the top. The evaporation ponds were in good shape in the 50's and 60's also. When we tractored in a bulldozer to help clear the land for building our rock pond, the dozer started to sink in the mud. Had to get it out of there. I enjoyed hugging my burro buddies as they roamed about our place and at other places around the valley. No one visited Saline(not like today) in the 50's and 60's. You were on your own. One time my Dad was at our little make shift cabin and a couple guys started shooting ducks on our fresh water lake. Dad told him they were on private property, but they were not very nice folks and he figured it was best not to make them mad so he just let them shoot. Dad's old letters from Sam Wasson(miner and friend of Dad's who sold Dad the 40 and 160 acres of land)are so great! Sam walked into the valley and worked for the salt guys and then bought the land which my Dad named Saline Valley Ranch. I've got thousands of surveys, maps, photos, etc. that I'm sure people would enjoy seeing and I'm getting them organized to put into book form(there's so much stuff). Thanks for letting me know that Corbett lived in AK. now. Corbett and his brother Jay stopped by our homestead up there to visit and we had a ball talking about Saline and sharing photos and memories.
SilverBob

Hi Margi,  

It's great to hear from you!  I hope you've been well.  

I'm so glad you found the forum, but Michelle and I had nothing to do with creating it.  The credit belongs to Major Tom and the SPA Board.  It's become a resource for a lot of people, many of whom you probably remember.  We hope to see you back in the Valley one of these days!
MargiLadywolf

Hi Family!

Margi here (Ladywolf has been gone for five years now and is dearly missed)! Jeeze, how the heck IS everyone? I was so glad to find this Forum just now, today--thank you Bob and Michelle for putting this together for the benefit of all of us. My dear friend Remo needed current road conditions, and here they are!

I have been stuck in Oracle, Arizona for almost twelve years now. Have not even been back to CA, much less to Saline, but I still live for my memories of both the Springs and my term as caretaker at Willow Creek...

Much Love to All and hope to see you soon--
Margi Wainio

aaliyahgorge

Sound good......good to see you here.....i just read the forum instruction before starting!!

Just read the forum rules and enjoy the knowledge of world.....any way welcome!!

Hey Tom -- Great job on the web site!  And thanks to you and the Board for continuing communications with the Park Service.  This will benefit us all.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!