Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

I'd suggest picking up a copy of Digonnet's book about hiking western DV. That will give you more than you can handle as far as history and hikes/travels in the area.
umpqua

Hi Bob, it's Rodney. The photo looks like a bunch of homeless people under the Morrison Bridge in Portland. I should fit in.

I do love the Umpqua....it's prob my favorite river (or one of them) in Oregon and I've been on a lot. Yes, Umpqua hot spring is a cool place. I've been there several times. I camped out near Denio, NV 3 times with my GF (coming on the trip) over Christmas and NY and the 5 gallon water jug we carried became a block of ice. Had to put it in the hot spring to thaw it out. We were either in bed or in the hot spring the entire trip. Even ate in the spring. Really fun times, an adventure but cold as hell.....like 10 below. Hoping for a little warmer and "sunny" weather in DV but we will prepare for anything.

It would be nice to meet you while we are there. I will be in an older grey Land Cruiser wagon with a couple of dogs.

Florida, yeah I do have that thing called "work" that I have to return to. The plan will be to allow an extra day or two to drive back to Portland. I think I counted the days but it looks like we will have a total of 7 days to spend in Saline Valley. If anyone knows of any side trips or things that we should see while we are there I'm all ears. I've never been to DV and am looking forward to a new adventure and meeting some nice folks.

Rodney
florida

Ice on the road is the biggest problem. And it is usually more difficult to get out than to get in, so keep that in mind if you have obligations, like Work, to return to.
bobhuckaby

see you there in my white Dodge with white shell, I have some nice pix of Umpqua hot springs
last new year I was there got up to make coffee in the morning and the water jug wouldn't pour, and had to get up and give my lady friend another blanket in the middle of the night even though she had a sleeping bag inside another sleeping bag
here is pix of new year grog
saline_NYcampfire.jpg 

umpqua

No, this will be my first visit to Saline. Of course I plan to enjoy the hot springs but I would appreciate any other drive around and look at intel. Certainly not averse to a hike either. I should be there for 4-5 days.

I checked the what is needed posting and will make sure to look at that again a week or so before coming. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of room in my Land Cruiser....the room has been taken up by a refrig, drawers and a couple of dogs. I do have a friend that has said he is joining and will be driving a pickup. If he comes, I'll be sure to bring a load of firewood. Anything else, just let me know.

Thanks for the welcome.
Salt Peter

Sounds like you know what you're doing.
Have you been to Saline before? If not, welcome and welcome to SPA.
We do have a thread of needed supplies that is updated fairly regularly.
umpqua

Thanks Salt. Let's hope for snow then.

I don't have chains but I should probably add them to the arsenal. Old Land Cruiser wagon that I've driven for years.....hopefully know what it can and can't do. Good tires. Winch. Traction boards. I know....just get stuck worse.

I'm happy to bring some communal supplies if something is needed. I will leave whatever firewood I don't burn......Any tips are appreciated.
Salt Peter

It gets cold at that time but that is one reason the numbers of campers are fewer.
When the passes are snowed in it isn't a "little" snow. It can be somewhat deep. Add in icing in shady areas and it can be a bit hairy at times. Bring chains just in case.
umpqua

Thank you for the response. I've never driven that way and will be coming from Portland. I have what I think is a fairly capable 4wd so maybe a little snow might not be a bad thing.

8 vehicles? Is that an average crowd or more than usual?
Terawanderer

Good luck....If the passes are snowed in ...there will be no crowds.   If the passes are in excellent shape...it is 50/50.  I usually go the first weekend in January and there are about 8 vehicles average.
umpqua

Greetings-

Planning a visit to the spring a few days after Christmas and into the New Year. Any idea as to the crowd we might expect at that time of the year?

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to the trip.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!