Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Sam D.

LOL.
Is your question legit or a joke?
If legit, my answer is no, do not come without a spare or two.
slash2

I'm thinking about coming in next week with my new rig, people won't laugh cuz I'm driving a Prius will they? The weather's looking pretty good though and I hear the roads have been recently graded. Unfortunately I don't have a full size spare but I do have a hand pump and a patch kit, do you think I'll have any problems as long as I keep my speed down?

Image result for lifted prius c
Salt Peter

It is definitely karma. My buddy and I helped out a family from Canada once. They were up on Hunter Mountain and tranny fluid or coolant was draining out of their rig. Think it was tranny fluid. Can't remember exactly. We drove the guy down to the Napa Auto Parts and he took it from there. The day was late and the guy from Napa was gonna drive him back to his rig with a bunch of fluid. He posted up here thanking the two guys who helped him out. We all need help at some time or another. Saline, for the most part, has a great community. There are always a few bent wrenches in the mix. I don't suggest anyone drive a 2wd to Saline but people do it all the time with various results. Good karma is something to be paid forward because when it is your turn you will want it coming back to you.
peneumbra

I've been coming out to the Springs for something like 36 years (with time off for good behavior), and the one facet that really stands out is the sense of community (Followed closely by free beer).

And so community includes meeting other people and learning about their experiences and, yes, helping people who are newcomers or who are a little bit… dense, I guess you might say. I've required assistance on more than one occasion, and I'm sure most everyone else has as well. All of us had to have a first adventure, the first drive out; some were lucky enough to come out with people who had already been here, but for many, that first trip was a real Adventure.

We can laugh at the newcomers, who show up in two-wheel-drive cars, who don't bring supplies, who try to make tire chains out of rope… but we don't let them "suffer" because they are ignorant of the way things are. To do that would be an insult to our sense of community.

mlmorrison

Yeah...Karma is a funny (or not so funny) thing... . Decades ago I learned about 2 spares and LT tires on the Saline Valley Road. I have shared that with probably 100s of newbees in many encounters all over the place for a long time now. So far Lady Karma has been good to me but I try to never piss Her off...
peneumbra

Let them suffer, huh? Great attitude.

People are people, be they a bit on the dull side or Smart Like You.

If you feel better by judging them, go right ahead. Just be advised...
DIG

Came out south pass yesterday no snow or sign of it road clear
Salt Peter

Apparently the snow that was near Mazourka Peak has melted but there is coverage to the south. Even Cerro Gordo is covered. So if a storm cell went through that portion of the Inyos South Pass may have some good coverage. Hopefully someone will have first hand info soon.
encore889

I like helping people who come prepared.  For people that come in a prius, camry, kia, etc... without a full size spare, tire plugs, tire guage, air pump, extra fuel, tools... let them suffer!

Salt Peter I think you nailed it. 
Salt Peter

The Eastern Sierra got some snow to lower levels on par with normal weather (wx) in the area. The Inyo crest got a dusting and the Whites got some good coverage. So It would be safe to say there is now snow on North Pass but not in any significant amount. I bet it is nice and crisp up there...snow and sage. Missing it!
bobhuckaby

for what it's worth, I watch the forecast every couple of days and log it for Mammoth, north pass, saline and south pass in order to see snow accumulation (or not) and make my own trend for farther out anticipations
unless something radical happens the passes should be passable for presidents, Tahoe is bare and so is north pass, unlike last year
bob from tahoe
slash2

Come on guys, cut me a little slack, I was expressing my inner Boy Scout by doing my one good deed for the day and James sucked me in.  I know there's no such thing as a precise forecast, especially for some place as remote and diverse as SV, but ya gotta admit that the .gov weather map is kinda cool and a lot better than nothing. You click on the valley and it's raining, you click on north and south pass and they show snow, you click on Steel pass and you get rain but no snow. My advice, prepare for rain and snow and tell us how much rain and snow there was when you get back.

Half the fun of SV is that it is remote, it can be rough at times and you need to be prepared for it. The fact that it can even be a bit dangerous just adds to the excitement. Just recently there was a rollover on the valley floor (no injuries thank goodness) and a couple broke down on Steel pass and were stuck up there for day. Both experienced backcountry travellers that just got into trouble. The cool thing was that good people down at the springs got word of the plight of the folks on the pass, gathered tools and parts and went up there and got them back on the road and safely down to the springs. Others rolled the Landcruiser back up on its wheels and even towed them out saving them a huge bill from Millers. Some jerk did steel their high lift jack from the wreck site, so even the 50 mile bull sh*t filters won't keep all the ass hats out.

Point is, it's a special and unique place but it can be hazardous, even to the occasional old salt or two and especially to the unprepared, and if someone on the forum asks what may or may not be a stupid question, Boy Scouts like me are likely to err on the side of caution and chime in. James won the stupid question award and I get to start the new year by winning the stupid response award. I hope that's the dumbest thing I do this year, especially in SV!

In the meantime I can't wait to get back out there, I wonder how Presidents day weather might be shaping up.....

/2
mdskier

It's usually the passes you have to worry about for snow. North Pass is about 6000 ft & South is about 5000 ft.
Carry chains.

Lake Tahoe reports show a lot of rain and high elevation (8000ft or higher.) snow dropping to 7000ft on ending  One model show instability with
much of today/Tuesdays  storm heading toward SoCal (Mono County), & Bishop.
Salt Peter

Slash that "pinpoint" weather isn't actually true to the location you click on. If the location is remote, NOAA will do their best to give a true forecast. But a forecast is just that a forecast and not truth. Weather is kinda funny that way. It can do what it wants. Yes we have years of data upon which to build better forecasts than in the past but it isn't 100% for remote areas. So try for the location you want, then use at least two, preferably three, other locations which have weather monitoring equipment.

It's kinda like the people who blindly follow GPS and get lost and/or dead. Using more than one source of info greatly helps your odds of attaining a true answer. YMMV.

Presidents Day is gonna have insane winds. So much so the game will be called due to weather. A first in the Saline Baseball League.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.