Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
genocache

slash, I think they are the same thing. Donald never wears pants.......
slash2

Not surprised it's been posted before, it's the first one that popped up when I googled "lifted Prius". What could be more ridiculous than a lifted Prius on Saline Valley Road! Hopefully it was outrageous enough that no one would take it seriously and actually think someone would be driving that thing out to the springs! Just seemed funny at time.
/2

Hey encore889, last time I was out there I heard the term "shirtcocking" funny as hell! What's "donald ducking"?
James Sel

Seen that Prius posted her before....spent pic
slash2

I've got the original spare but it might be too small now. Do you know if there are any charging stations in the area?

Just joking around! I am looking forward to getting back out there soon though.

/2
Sam D.

LOL.
Is your question legit or a joke?
If legit, my answer is no, do not come without a spare or two.
slash2

I'm thinking about coming in next week with my new rig, people won't laugh cuz I'm driving a Prius will they? The weather's looking pretty good though and I hear the roads have been recently graded. Unfortunately I don't have a full size spare but I do have a hand pump and a patch kit, do you think I'll have any problems as long as I keep my speed down?

Image result for lifted prius c
Salt Peter

It is definitely karma. My buddy and I helped out a family from Canada once. They were up on Hunter Mountain and tranny fluid or coolant was draining out of their rig. Think it was tranny fluid. Can't remember exactly. We drove the guy down to the Napa Auto Parts and he took it from there. The day was late and the guy from Napa was gonna drive him back to his rig with a bunch of fluid. He posted up here thanking the two guys who helped him out. We all need help at some time or another. Saline, for the most part, has a great community. There are always a few bent wrenches in the mix. I don't suggest anyone drive a 2wd to Saline but people do it all the time with various results. Good karma is something to be paid forward because when it is your turn you will want it coming back to you.
peneumbra

I've been coming out to the Springs for something like 36 years (with time off for good behavior), and the one facet that really stands out is the sense of community (Followed closely by free beer).

And so community includes meeting other people and learning about their experiences and, yes, helping people who are newcomers or who are a little bit… dense, I guess you might say. I've required assistance on more than one occasion, and I'm sure most everyone else has as well. All of us had to have a first adventure, the first drive out; some were lucky enough to come out with people who had already been here, but for many, that first trip was a real Adventure.

We can laugh at the newcomers, who show up in two-wheel-drive cars, who don't bring supplies, who try to make tire chains out of rope… but we don't let them "suffer" because they are ignorant of the way things are. To do that would be an insult to our sense of community.

mlmorrison

Yeah...Karma is a funny (or not so funny) thing... . Decades ago I learned about 2 spares and LT tires on the Saline Valley Road. I have shared that with probably 100s of newbees in many encounters all over the place for a long time now. So far Lady Karma has been good to me but I try to never piss Her off...
peneumbra

Let them suffer, huh? Great attitude.

People are people, be they a bit on the dull side or Smart Like You.

If you feel better by judging them, go right ahead. Just be advised...
DIG

Came out south pass yesterday no snow or sign of it road clear
Salt Peter

Apparently the snow that was near Mazourka Peak has melted but there is coverage to the south. Even Cerro Gordo is covered. So if a storm cell went through that portion of the Inyos South Pass may have some good coverage. Hopefully someone will have first hand info soon.
encore889

I like helping people who come prepared.  For people that come in a prius, camry, kia, etc... without a full size spare, tire plugs, tire guage, air pump, extra fuel, tools... let them suffer!

Salt Peter I think you nailed it. 
Salt Peter

The Eastern Sierra got some snow to lower levels on par with normal weather (wx) in the area. The Inyo crest got a dusting and the Whites got some good coverage. So It would be safe to say there is now snow on North Pass but not in any significant amount. I bet it is nice and crisp up there...snow and sage. Missing it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!