Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
simonlang2001

Well the mud is such that if is rains. (Really rains), an inch or more, you do not want to start your vehicle engine as you will sink down to the axels, ( I have been told) when you start your engine, the vibrations act to liquify the mud, which is very slick, and will tend to clump onto your boots, in 2 to 3 inch layers, if you have been to burning man and been on the playa when it gets wet, it is similar in many/most areas, this is depending on where you camp, there are areas of cobbles it will not be so bad, but if you camp on the white ground it is very prone to being very slick, sticky mud.

I have been there while it rained for about 6 to 8 hours over night but it was a very gentile rain, the big rains tend to come during the summer, and they come as thunder storms with large amounts of water in very short time, several inches in an hour, this creates wash outs, During the fall there is still a chance of thunder shower it tends to be more of a gentile rain the bigger problem will be snow on the passes, what ever, it is worth bringing chains, two sets for both wheels,  if you come with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. 

If camping bring extra tarps to cover your tent and ropes to help tie it down and rubber boots can help, but out of the several times I have been there, (15 times), I have got wet 2 or 3 times apart from the hot springs.

All The best simon 

bgibgi

Hi Gene! Considering I am completely prepared and carry 3 months supply of food and beer and carry enough gas for round the world trip and have 8 spare tires....
when it's raining at the springs is it muddy? Can you step on the ground? Do people go into the pools? etc

Please let me know your experiences.

Gene

@bgibgi, I've been going for almost 30 years, several times a year. I pay no attention to the weather. I simply go, prepared for whatever may come. The distances are great so you could have a storm or washout along the road to the north or south, while basking in sunshine at the springs. Anything and everything can happen. Just come prepared, meaning chains for front and rear tires, all the fuel you need in case you need to take Lippincott or Steele Pass to get out. Basically, if you are relying on good weather to get in and out, you better stay on pavement.

Hi! Based on the forecast there might be some rain on Sun or Mon.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.81199218415889&lon=-117.76836204808205&site=vef&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Based on your experience, what does it feel like at the springs? Is there going to be a lot of mud at the springs? Will the passes close and for how long? I know it's hard to predict but can somebody share the experiences please.

Thank you in advance

Opel Cadet
Is 4th of July at the springs = suicide? Is Lee gonna be there? I got another hose, this time in green color, to give him.
Rusty Scout

Windy Weather on the way.Nothing like a fresh breeze.... Seems to be the edge of this Alaskan Storm as it swings east through Nevada. Per NWS Las Vegas: 
STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS  MUCH OF THE REGION TOMORROW AFTERNOON AS THE LEADING EDGE OF THE 
TROUGH MOVES INTO NORTHWEST NEVADA. STRONG WINDS PERPENDICULAR TO
THE SOUTHERN SIERRA COMBINED WITH A STABLE LAYER ALOFT AND NEGATIVE
TO NEUTRAL WIND SHEAR WILL LIKELY RESULT IN A STRONG DOWNSLOPE WIND
EVENT EARLY TOMORROW MORNING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. A HIGH
WIND WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED AS WIND GUSTS ALONG THE EASTERN SLOPES
COULD REACH AS A HIGH AS 80 MPH.

Dusty

yep thats the one I use also, It's close + or - 5* but not perfect
Patrick McNeil

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=vef&smap=1&textField1=36.817083333333&textField2=-117.76875

This is the one I use, hope it works for you.
Pat
bgibgi

What's the best link to get weather forecast for the springs?
XPBC

Last Holloween we left for Saline on Monday and ducked out of the weather in Lone Pine and Bishop for two days until the weather calmed down.  We have even left the Springs for Bishop during a big blow and came back after the storm.  I check the weather out there every day anyway.  Especially days befor a trip.

muttmaster

For those who plan to visit Saline hot springs over the Easter week. Be aware of the potent storm brewing in the Pacific. Be prepared for winds of 60 mph in the valley, and snow at the passes. If you don't have good tents and other shelter and  equipment, you may think about delaying your trip. You may need eye protection and face mask. Watch the weather and be prepared, then again, last time I was in the valley, the weather reports said winds of 5-7 mph and we had 40 mph. No much fun eating sand in your dinner.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!