Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
SilverBob

The difficulty is that the water is so shallow, and there's soft mud under it.  You can walk out 40 yards or so and still only be in 6" of water, but you're more than ankle deep in salty mud under the water. 

The deepest part of the lake is near the old salt tram workings.  When the lake is dry, lots of folks like to walk out onto the salt to explore.  That would probably be your best bet for finding a suitable launching place.  I'd still be surprised if you found water more than a foot deep anywhere out there.

Of course, I haven't tried this in a long time.  I guess I need to look through my photos and find the dates we were there, but I believe it was around 2013 or so.  Maybe things have changed since then.

Good luck!
Just Bill

Bills camp brought in 2 kayaks 3 years ago in anticipation of doing something that I had never heard of: kayaking in Saline Valley. The approach at the tram ruins is impossible. There are areas of hardened salt build ups to walk out on ....but to no avail. Very thick and MESSY mud that’s hard to dispose of on boots and clothes.
I was wondering about launching at the north end of the lake where it is very visable from the road. Went to check it out Presidents weekend but the entry road was to muddy to get through because of rain soak!
Good luck whomever is 1st on the water with picture proof!!
sanpanza

Hi Silver Bob, can you tell me what the approach was like? Was it deep mud for a long way before the water. What was difficult about the approach?
SilverBob

We thought about doing that a few years ago too.  We soon learned that the lake bed is incredibly flat.  That means that you have to go a long way from shore to be in water deep enough to float even a kayak.  We poked around the shore from the tram site to the old Wildlife Preserve and couldn't find a suitable spot to launch.

Maybe you'll have better luck than we did.  If so, take lots of pictures!  It should be quite a memorable experience.
sanpanza

Hi Speakeasy, I am considering the viability of taking kayaks on the lake in April if the water continues. Nothing competitive; just some guys doing something unusual.

Thanks for the link but I could find no reference to Inyo spending money on stocking a normally dry lake with fish.

speakeasy

The lake is not deep enough for a yacht but deep enough for the Department of Fishery and Wildlife to plant some salt resistant variety of carp to fight off potential mosquitoes. You can check the planting schedule at this link:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/fishplants/

I would not be surprised if the cash strapped Inyo Co in tandem with the feds organizes a fish derby tournament or two.
Please post your trip report here.

May I inquire why you are interested? I heard there was a canoo race there years ago? It would be cool to have it again

sanpanza

Doe anyone know if Saline Dry Lake received enough water to fill up this year. It happened in 2004 but that was extraordinary year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution