Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Major Tom

We do not, Tule. That might be an interesting set of documents to come by, perhaps under the Freedom of Information Act?
Sam D.

Perhaps we can ask The Fork Art Society of America to declare the springs as a national folk art installation.
As you may or may not know, Leonard Knight, the founder of Salvation Mountain near Niland passed away recently.
Here's what our Senator Barbara Boxer entered into congressional record:

http://www.salvationmountain.us/record_L2.html#c_record

Perhaps these folks cannot save the springs but they can definitely save the sign.
http://www.folkart.org/

... just a thought...
Tule

Does SPA have a compendium or archive of studies/papers prepared by DVNP regarding the springs? 
SYNCRO

Does what happened to Camp 4 in Yosemite have any bearing for us?
Taffy3

I know a little bit about this and have been discussing this - I'm a Landscape Architect by training (if not practice at the moment) with a buddy who introduced me to SV who is an Architect. There is a thing called the Historic American Landscape Survey (HALS). The criteria for what can be included in the HALS is deliberately broad -  I've done a survey for an abandoned Nike missile base out side San Francisco - so that the widest range of Landscapes that have cultural significance can be recorded. 

There is a set format for the survey which is managed by the Library of Congress. Once the survey had been completed and accepted it becomes part of the Library of Congress.

I should point out that this is not like having a building on the National Registry - it dosen't automatically afford any protection. What it will do is allow a story to be told by the community , captured , formatted and given some gravitas by having a Federal Govt stamp - Library of Congress on it 

More info - http://www.asla.org/hals.aspx
Jukebox Mark

I have spent almost a decade now trying to preserve old mining cabins in the desert, and have learned quite a few things in that context that seem appropriate here.
Perhaps you would find a comparison useful.

In the cabin context the word "historic" has specific legal consequences, as does "cultural significance" as does 'dwelling'. The cabins are only referred to by officials as 'structures' incidental to mining use, to remind everyone that they have no 'legal' basis separate from the mining activity performed at the site. This was and still is the basis on which many irreplaceable links to our past have been destroyed.

To obtain separate legal status, they would have to be declared 'historic' to the federal standards of the Antiquities Act or of 'cultural value' to the standards of the State Historic Preservation statutes. I started investigating both of these statutes with the aim of helping protect a specific cabin that is 'near and dear' to me. What I learned was that a. Historic requires something be 100 years old, and b. the criteria for cultural significance are nowhere near as broad as a layman would think.

Most importantly, I soon realized that the application process itself becomes a double-edged sword. If you submit an application and it is denied, the denial could conceivably be all the government needs to immediately remove the item. A SHPO denial came one week (possibly less) before a contractor was hired to level the Sheep Springs cabin in the Barstow Resource area of the BLM.

Now I am not saying that the Springs cannot qualify for 'cultural significance' by SHPO standards. Nor am I saying that the NPS has no latitude in acknowledging cultural resources at some other level. What I am saying is that there are potentials here that have to be acknowledged going thru the front door on this. Spend a little time reviewing SHPO standards. Familiarize yourself with their lingo. See if there are strong points that meet their criteria. Ask me questions if you like.

The board of SPA is familiar with my qualifications.

Another topic I discussed at length with Kathy Billings and her staff member, Lucy, during the Ridgecrest meeting of February 6th was the cultural significance of the Saline Valley Warm Springs.

I pointed out that per the 5 level management plan, the Bat Pole slated was to be preserved, in all iterations except the most drastic.  Assuming this is due to it's cultural significance, then the "peace sign" must also have cultural significance.  Indigenous persons dwelling in the Saline Valley carved the peace sign into the hill during the Vietnam War, in protest of our government's actions in Southeast Asia.  This seems to be taken as truth by the NPS.

So if the Bat Pole and the peace sign are both culturally significant, how on earth can the springs themselves, AS THEY ARE, not be also considered as such? 

Both Kathy and Lucy brought up the fact that it might be helpful to our cause to have the springs designated as an "historical place of interest."  (Not sure if I have the vernacular correct, but you get the idea.)  High Desert Warrior has mentioned this more than once.  If the springs could be designated in this manner, major changes to facilities at the springs would be forbidden.

Who knows about this?  And what can the average concerned SPA member do to further this agenda?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!