Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

You do realize the previous post is already a few months old? From the weather reports I'm seeing it is beginning to warm up in the valley.
matmiss

Wed a.m.  Snow on Sierra down to 5000 ft.  Snow on South Pass.  Chains required still on Hwy 168 all the way from Big Pine out to NV - so snow on North Pass.  (It snowed IN Big Pine last night!).  Be prepared! 
Soaker

I'm planning to enter the valley on Christmas with 4x4 dodge and cabover camper. Anybody have a very current road report?
Salt Peter

Great info.
Thank you for posting it up.
matmiss

Road report 1 a.m. 12/23 says chains are now required on Hwy 168 east = there is now snow on North Pass!  And another storm, larger, due in Christmas eve.  And another one Wed. next week, and maybe Friday.  
Also - it's COLD in Saline at night, and not warm during the day, as in 50's, and freezing at night.   It's winter. !!  
North Pass is over 8000 ft.  South Pass gets to 7000 ft. but the road is currently awful - as in 4x4 and lifted at best.  
Gene

I always bring chains no matter what I think the weather may be. When the passes snow/ice up, a 2wd with chains will get you farther than a 4wd without. A 4wd with chains (you put them on the front if you would like to be able to steer) is the best yet.

Just Talked to a friend that went in the north on the 21st. Light dusting of snow, no drifts. The road same condition as last month.
matmiss

It's COLD there.  !!  It's been freezing every night in Death Valley.  cold air sinks!
Salt Peter

Indeed it is the right way. At least you're sensible enough to ask first. Too many people head out without doing homework. Sadly some find their end in DV.
I bet you will be ok. If something happens stay with your vehicle. Give us a report of your impression of Saline and the trip. Would be great to hear about it.
Thanks.
paul belanger

Vehicle clearance and tires are as important as 4WD.  If you have a fairly high clearance vehicle, LT series tires, snow chains.....I would say it's worth a try.  All of the above and 4WD is clearly the right way. 
Spider

Not a silly question at all.

We will be heading out on the weekend, and all I can say is to be prepared for possible snow in the pass and rough road conditions. Use common sense and turn around if you feel like that you or your vehicle might not be up for the task. Give yourself plenty of travel time during daylight hours in case you run into trouble.
SoCal got hit with a good storm, so I am pretty sure there is snow in the North Pass.

What pass are you thinking about taking?

James Sel

Noway the snow will stop you and even without any You are asking a very SMART question.
Laurenrose

I have never been to saline valley and I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice about travel. Do you think I can make it with out four wheel drive next week? or is that a silly question?
Thank you,
Lauren
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution