Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gael

Humanities Majors Kill Perfectly Good Young People.
Salt Peter

Yep. I found the turn off on my own the first time in.
"Breeders" LOL I use that term all the time.
encore889

This is gonna happen more often as people learn about the springs.  I don't understand you old timers, that give out directions willy nilly.  (referring to another post) Just because people ask, doesn't mean you have to give them gps coordinates!  They could be the breeders that leave diapers in the bushes or leave their trash for other people to pick up, or poo on the floor of the bathroom!  enough ppl already know about saline.  We don't need more jackholes, thinking their graffiti is "art"

It's been a long time since I was at the Springs...last time I was there there was only 1 painted rock that I remember...the yellow rock that marked to turn to go up to the Springs...

Defacing petroglyphs is a CRIME, and is morally reprehensible...

I have an incredible picture of the original BAT ROCK that went missing years ago. That painted rock was a welcome sight when you were driving at night. And wonderful when a girl was standing by it hitchhiking to the spring. I picked up my wife there.
sunny okanogan

you got that right, Dusty , Sunny 

Dusty Trails

No need to share on the forum.  It contributes to negative publicity.  Quietly roll the rock over and move on.  
Salt Peter

I did what I could to cover up the graffiti. Forgot to turn the rock down on the dirt before I left.

Attached Images
jpeg 2017-03-22_22.25.11.jpeg (807.44 KB, 95 views)

Sam D.

Last weekend few folks at the springs made a long hike to the area of Turtle Lake to check out petroglyphs. Well, there was swastika there on wall. Idiots are everywhere. Years ago volunteers collected money and cans to purchase 50 native trees for shade to replace the ones "killed" by hammocks by the pools at another hot springs I frequent. We planted, fertilized, wire shielded and watered the trees. All of them were chopped down for firewood in the winter. There is no limit to human stupidity.
SunMan

Graffiti, plain and simple. Not to mention hypocritical.
Salt Peter

This is the second time I've come across painted rocks at the springs. This one was larger and I'm sure it took quite a bit of time. The sad irony is that the message "Man Kills Sacred Land" is put out for all to view. To me the message is contradictory to what I've come to know about Saline. The rock art was in a special place in a national park. Saline has been in jeopardy since 1994 and its inclusion in the park and I know SPA is working on behalf of protecting the springs. There are many aspects of Saline that support an artistic outlook. Rock sculptures and the bat pole come to mind. The rock sculptures can easily be put back to a more natural condition by just scattering them about. The bat pole has acquired more things hanging from it over the years. I don't know the history behind the pole but sometimes less is more. I liked it with just a couple things on it. Pretty soon the NPS may say enough is enough with the Bat Pole too. I hope not.

Painting rocks lasts a long time depending on the media used. The rock in question here reminds me of the Creepytings vandal who defaced several national parks in a short period of time. Whether or not she has resurfaced and not naming her acts or has inspired others to follow in her footsteps, one thing is certain, the springs does not need negative attention from the park service. I would like to know what others think about this type of behavior. I see it in a similar light as the recent events at The Racetrack and Badwater with people deciding driving on those areas is more important to their egos than leaving an area in a pristine state.

Attached Images
jpeg 2017-03-22_22.24.11.jpeg (929.22 KB, 131 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!