Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Farmer_Fred

Upper will benefit from Palm Trees.   Can keep it to 3 only for shade and wind protection.   How many are there at Furnace Creek?
Major Tom

Yes, I am referring to the springs above Palm Springs. Most people call Palm Springs by the name of Upper Springs now, which is actually erroneous. On maps, the middle springs are called Palm Springs, and the upper springs are called Upper Warm Springs.

dezrtdave

I visited Upper Warm Spring in October 2011 while the fence at the entrance was still down. It looked like someone had torn down enough of the fence to be able to drive in a camper or RV.

In spite of being completely open to burros, I saw no burro droppings. The pools were clean and in good shape. Someone had been taking care of them. Also, absolutely no human garbage in that area.

That made me wonder whether or not the original fence had been necessary to protect the pools. Perhaps yes when the valley was overrun with several herds of burros. But now that there are only a dozen or so burros in the Saline Vally camping areas, a fence to keep them out of Upper Warm Springs may be a solution to a problem that does not exist.

What is the rationale for keeping people out of Upper Warm Springs?  I think that perhaps the proponents of fencing out everyone are projecting the negative impacts on natural resources of the much larger number of tourists that come to Death Valley.

Unless the NPS decides to pave the road to Saline Valley, it is unlikely that the remote Warm Springs area will attract the hordes of littering tourists that come to the Death Valley area.

Keep in mind that over the past 40 years or so, it has been the campers in Saline Valley who have kept ALL camping areas around the springs clean and free of litter. The cleanliness of the Saline camping areas are in stark contrast to the litter-strewn official campgrounds in Death Valley.

Perhaps DVNP should adopt the Warm Springs approach for all its camping areas.

tronaborn

Tom, just to be clear, you are talking about the upper spring, where someone recently pulled out some of the existing cyclone fence, correct?  This would be the one that is more or less undeveloped, except for the cyclone fence, which has been in place for decades.  Some people may misunderstand which one you are referring to. 
XPBC

Somehow I don't see what or who would benifet from keeping burros and humans out.  I sure hope these officials can explain this to me if that really does happen.  I will be at the meeting in Bishop June 12.  I'm gonna recomend they build a fence to keep the rattlesnakes and officials out. 

Major Tom

A conversation I had with a park official reveals that the DVNP is considering completely fencing off the Upper Warm Springs from burros and people alike.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!