Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
florida

Tule, I agree.. This is, like it or not, a National Park and belongs to everyone, even if they don't have an offroad capable 4x4. I think that the level of maintainance on the roads is just about right. Most people can get in sooner or later if the weather is right, the creek hasn't risen, and they are willing to prepare and to put up with some aggravation. The time to have the Springs declared a roadless wilderness passed long ago. Sorry, but that is so. I haven't had any trouble finding times to go when I am all but alone at Palm Springs, even when the road is in perfect condition.
Tule

I am not looking to get into a wizzing contest here but......First off, Saline Valley Rd--North and South Pass included--belongs to Inyo County.  The road is not there for the sole purpose of providing access to the springs.  To suggest the County not maintain the road (and the passes), so as to limit access to the springs, is to take up the same elitist attitude the NPS has about who gets to go where, when and how on public lands.  Over the past 20 years I have seen occasions when there were too many people there to my liking, but that's rare.  I avoid high use times like Thanksgiving just for that reason.  I have a very capable off-road rig (see my avatar), but I'm not willing to shut-out those who don't because even if the road is in what we on this forum would call "good shape", it's still no walk in the park.
Salt Peter

Not sure how many stock subies make Lippencott. The one guy I met had beefy tires and armor underneath.
Food4more
Mandatory 40 mile hike in from any paved road would keep it wild. But then we would need to start a new thread: Trail Conditions
chmura

I agree. They should stop repairing the roads or repair them to a level that you need a real high clearance 4x4 vehicle to get through.

Half of the adventure is making it challenging to get to the destination, I.e. the springs. When I see the "high clearance 4x4 lippincott only" road sign and than see stock subaru's making it I shake my head as this sign is pointless.
trigger

Maybe everyone can just stop repairing the roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can then post one road report for north and south pass "long, rough, rocky". No need to ever delete old post.
PahrumpGeorge

Tom:
Thanks. I probably did not do sufficient review. Can I chalk it off to old age and lazyness?

As I am sure you noticed, I have tried to start a thread for historical items; This site could be the only one to preserve these events and the unique people which have frequented the springs.
You probably have as much history recall as anyone.
Geo.
Major Tom

George, I think I posted it elsewhere: the road department hopes to have the road fixed to the turn-off (aka Bat Rock Road) by January 15). I have witnessed that folks seem to want to look at the latest post, and not review too far back, which causes things to get lost in the mix, which is why I would like to turn this whole thing upside down, shake the "stuff" out, and start over. Many have asked to keep the old road reports in an historic archive, and I will do what I can toward that end.

Dusty, I hear you loud and clear and have mixed feelings about it myself. We have lost some of the adventure. Having shared this misgiving with many, I can say the majority opinion is that folks are glad for the information. We are not loving it to death, as visitor numbers are NOT increasing.
bmxmtbman

Dusty Trails. 

Thanks for the post. I think this type of discussion is healthy, and much needed. The current national park administration (and really since its conception) wants people to experience parks from their automobiles. Paving of roads, new roads, and other concessions to "accessibility" are removing the wild from what should stay adventurous and difficult. Regular road reports, personal locater beacons, and satellite weather forecasts all remove portions of this wildness. While I think that no national park should have a road that is wide enough to accommodate four-wheeled vehicles, open to public access, I recognize that this is not a realistic goal. 

As far as the springs go, the 'love it to death' comment is probably more accurate than we would like to believe. It is anybody's guess how long the springs can exist in their historical state before the parks decide to pave the road, fill in the source, or sell the whole shebang to a concessionaire for the highest dollar. The higher the profile that  the springs have online, as well as elsewhere, the more likely this is. I do not have any (reasonable) solutions, but I think that the more conversation this topic gets, the more equipped the community will be to deal with the problems that will become inevitable with increased traffic to the springs.    
knockknock

AMEN to that!  TRK
Salt Peter

Ethan there are thousands of square miles of desert solitude other than Saline. Yes Saline is special for other reasons than the springs. But if you haven't gazed at the heavens while soaking during the night with the wind blowing through the palms well IMHO you haven't lived.

Even with the rock's mysterious disappearance we still need the "Death Valley" metal bat back up on the pole. I never saw the rock in person but always love seeing the bat as we get closer to the springs on Bat Rock Road.

[thumb]
James Sel

as wild as can be would mean removing all roads....WOW! that's just a wild idea
EthanT
Hi, first time poster here, occasional lurker

I would like to see Saline Valley as wild as can be myself too.  Unlike many visitors, I go out of my way to avoid the springs, in order to avoid the one place where one might see other people.

However, as others have said, the genie is out of the bottle.

I take solace in the fact that Saline has something that will always protect it to a certain extent from too many crowds ---- 40 miles of washboard from any direction  ;-)

That will always help maintain some level of solitude and remoteness to the area.

PahrumpGeorge

James: Thanks.
I believe this photo was taken after the rock was painted white; thus destroying all of the earlier ARTWORK, and not too long before its sudden disappearance.
James Sel

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200103396742534&set=oa.10152592395926091&type=1&theater

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!