Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
florida

No one wants to ban anyone, as I said before. All we want is to know where the flying sh-t is coming from. Have an opinion? Own it.
Big Jeff

The powers that be made the change, that's great, thanks Florida for taking the time on this issue.  Also welcome our newest member "Un No Ban". Sounds like they must be from North Korea.  I wonder how long it will take for their "Friends" to register.
florida

So step up.
florida

The forum rules have been changed. "Un" is still free to post and annoy people, but not as an anonymous user.
florida

I only want to know if there is an actual reason that the forum is set up so that unregistered people can post. I sent a PM to Major Tom (as instructed) a month ago which must have missed him since there has been no reply. I sent another today. It is just a question, not a criticism or challenge.
Big Jeff

Once again Silver Bob to the rescue. Actually the Mods and Ads are generally prompt at removing Spam.  You must remember they are not paid to patrol the forum 24/7.  The thought did cross my mind that they might be out enjoying life as we all cherish, they might even be at the Springs.  As for the posting by unregistered users we should recall the process of  resolving the road reports congestion, as far as I know it worked out to most members satisfaction.  Good results take time
SilverBob

As hard as it might be for some to believe, none of us moderators live for this forum.  We actually have lives which sometimes keep us from promptly deleting the spam that comes in on a very regular basis.  I promise you that we'll take care of it as soon as humanly possible.  Meanwhile, may I suggest that you guys just relax and ignore all the nonsense until one of us gets to it?  I'm currently in Quartzsite, AZ. enjoying a brief vacation.  I promise I'll be more prompt when I get home.  [rolleyes]
florida

I was told to contact Major Tom, which I did by PM. He has not gotten back to me yet. For all we know, the spam could be coming from our old Un friend just as harassment. That is the problem. We don't know.
Commando Paul

In any case, now we are getting some real spam about the frickin World Cup, so let's do this right away.
Commando Paul

Now we're getting down to it...
florida

I would like to hear from SPA on why this forum is left open to unregistered users. Is there a reason?
winks

"Looks unanimous to me." [redface] [sneaky] [biggrin]
florida

I don't suggest that we ban anyone. I only propose that everyone be required to be identifiable and thus accountable for their posts. As it is now, a coward with a personal grudge can sling around lies and call people names with impunity as they are anonymous.
Sam D.

Banning an IP address is not very effective as one can switch to another proxy in a couple of minutes whereas banning an email would require Unsky-Trollsky to create another email address which nowadays requires a phone number. So, let's require a login before a post can be made.
Big Jeff

Absolutely, and hit them up for a donation too
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!