Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
encore889

Sell your bambi to me. And buy a basecamp...

"You said it should be ok to take the trailer down that road... but I guess we all make mistakes, and this is the first one you've made in our twenty years of marriage."

I tried something like that before and judging from the results she didn't buy into it. I will keep trying it until I get some success.
zardac

Okay. 
I'm fine with adding that caveat to the very optimistically imagined statement from my wife regarding the hypothetical situation.

You said it should be ok to take the trailer down that road... but- since we're not jeopardizing others traveling via a specific route because of a stuck vehicle- I guess we all make mistakes, and this is the first one you've made in our twenty years of marriage.

Salt Peter

Being an optimist is great but jeopardizing others traveling via a specific route because of a stuck vehicle isn't good.
zardac

"You said it should be ok to take the trailer down that road. You can fill the rest"

"You said it should be ok to take the trailer down that road... but I guess we all make mistakes, and this is the first one you've made in our twenty years of marriage."

I try to be an optimist.
James Sel

WTF^ he already said he would not
chrishaynesusa

Airstream Trailer is a BAD idea in Saline valley. BAD,BAD,BAD...
paul belanger

If you bring the Airstream into the Saline Valley? You're a raving idiot. Do. Not. Do. It.
douginreno

Yeah it's a Bambi and despite working on a lift kit and better tires but I have come to grips with the fact that it's not built to 4x4. We will enjoy the tent and keep the Bambi on more manageable roads for now.
tbone ribeye

16' airstream?  Would that be a Bambi or Basecamp?  Bambi, no.  Basecamp is the real deal with good tires and some clearance.  I would bring a Basecamp in if I could afford one. 
mlmorrison

As we say..."when in doubt go for it...because that is how you learn". Kidding...no way you take that trailer with your family.
douginreno

Thank you for the honest feedback. Dust doesn't bother me we take our trailer sans kids to burning man every year. Parts falling off is another story and getting stuck is a whole other issue. We had a wheel sheer off in Carson city one time which was a serious drag. I have taken the trailer down some roads I shouldn't have and would rather not repeat the experience.
Thanks again.
Sparky of SoCal

I would cover my ass if I was you. Having the trailer to sleep, cook and clean up in would be sweet. You tell your wife you read on a forum it could or can be done. You have a very nice trailer that could get filled with dust. Maybe cut a tire and tear up the side of the trailer. Maybe some of the plumbing underneath rattles apart and is found later laying along the side of the road. What are you going to hear? That lovely wife, the mother of your beautiful children is going to look you right in the eye and say what? I'll tell ya. Almost word for word she is going to fire off with....You said it should be ok to take the trailer down that road. You can fill the rest. I could be wrong but what do think?
Salt Peter

Welcome to SPA.

I wouldn't recommend it either. While conditions have improved since New Years, you do not want to end up like the guys who got stuck in South Pass with their Airstream. The cost for recovery is usually 1-3k.

BigDaddyJEH

I have seen several trailers at the springs, but I is extremely hard on them!  The road has extreme wash boards, so the vibration just eats up trailers.  You can do it, but I would not recommend it!  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!