Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Biotech Dave

GEICO offers a no-deductible "Emergency Road Service" as an option.  Each 6 months costs me $9.50 for my van and $7.30 for my Jeep.  CHEAP!!! 
XPBC

Get the bird in hand better than two in a bush.

Sam D.

Good info, Biotech Dave!

I saved 15% with Geico, but do not have the tow option. What kind of 
tow should I get from Geico? 
Biotech Dave

Some years ago, I researched the same question, as GEICO Road Service will cover me on ANY "Maintained" County road.

In a call with the INYO County Road Dept, their staffer proudly declared that "yes indeed, the entire Saline Valley Road is a Maintained County Road".

When I probed GEICO further on the specifics of Saline Valley Rd., such as only Miller will go there for thousands of dollars, I was informed that if a GEICO Contract Tower was not available that I might need to pay up front, but would be fully reimbursed (even for multi-thousand dollar tows) for a tow to the nearest authorized DEALER of my model vehicle, no mileage limit.  That's a LONG Tow!

GEICO also said they covered roads within parks.  So, based on that, I think that Batrock and even Steel Pass/Eureka would fall within their coverage.

After my research I switched from AAA to GEICO tow coverage, which is cheaper, but unfortunately I don't get to fulfill my AAA map lust anymore.  I hate paying for maps!

Last year, GEICO also covered the replacement of the Front Differential on my Jeep Liberty ($4800) when I tore it from the mounts doing the Black Diamond Five Fingers Hill Climb in Hollister Hills (although the Jeep ran fine for weeks afterwards even with the Front Diff ripped open, just a little noisy, and was driven into the dealer for another issue).  I'll never forget the call from the service manager at Jeep asking me if I had looked under at the front diff, as he was "standing there with his hand inside of it".  This did cost me an "at fault accident" on my insurance for my encounter of "Me vs Earth Rocks", but that beat an out of pocket repair.  They didn't seem to care where it happened, just that it was an impact with an object on the trail, and that its my job to avoid objects therefore it was my fault.
Sam D.

Hi! Are N. and S. Passes county-graded roads? 

Here's the bridge version of my email communication with Good Sam:

Good Sam's response to my inquiry:
Thank you for your e-mail. Good Sam RV ERS does not cover you in
off-road areas, as outlined on page 9 or the current Good Sam RV
Emergency Road Service Member Benefit Brochure, which may be accessed
at: http://www.goodsamclub.com/ers/non_member_brochure.pdf.  An off-road
area is defined as an area OFF of any of the following: hard-packed or
graded dirt public road, paved street, driveway, parking lot, highway,
freeway, expressway or adjacent shoulder. 

My reply:
Thank you for getting back to me. The link in your email points to a dead page (The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable)
My question was whether you cover county graded roads. Based on the language you quoted, county graded roads are indeed covered.

Please let me know,

Good Sam's reply:
Yes, they are covered.
appletreasures

Glad to hear that it was a quick easy fix. It's always hard to know whose help to accept. Since you didn't accept my offer beyond the wood, we'll never know if I could have solved the trouble. It was probably best for me that you declined. As it was I did not get home until about 1:00 am and I had to be at work at 7:30 am. If I had stayed and investigated trouble I would likely been driving out in dark and arrived home much later. A good thing to have along as well as tools is a cheap multimeter. I'd recommend the old analog type (indicator needle) rather than digital. The reason is if the battery goes dead in digital meter it does not work at all. Analog meter will continue to work for all functions except ohmmeter. You can get either at Radio Shack or Harbor Freight for around $10.00.

Oobleck

Yep, that was me. After about 20 people had looked at the truck and confirmed that it was the starter and that there was no way we were going to get it off without special tools, a guy named Ty said, while we were soaking in Sunrise, "Hell, I can get that off, or maybe we can fix it in place." He chased out all the electrics leading to the starter and we (he) discovered that there is a solenoid to the solenoid. That's right, there are 2 of them. The one on the firewall had a connection that had jostled loose on the nasty north pass road. We reconnected it and, wala! Twenty minutes later we were soaking in Sunrise again. Amazing.

(Thanks for the wood).

appletreasures

Oobleck, I think I spoke with you.
Did you have a pickup with a big slide in camper?
You thought you had a bad starter.
I gave you two pieces of wood (4x4).
What was the actual cause of your trouble?
How did you fix it?
PolishDeva

Years ago my I abandoned my SUV on the South Pass in snowy conditions.  Miller's towed my vehicle out a few days later to the tune of $1,200 and change.  I submitted the invoice to RVRoadhelp and was reimbursed for every cent, no questions asked.  RVRoadhelp is a service of Allstate but you must own a rig, (camper, RV, 5th wheel).  $109.95 per year.  If I would have stayed another night at the hotel RVRoadhelp would have reimbursed that fee too.  I can't say enough about their tow service.

SunMan

I personally don't think I would accept any money BUT I would consider anyone who did not at least offer some sort of compensation to be uncouth.

JoltinJim

a guy named tim was in on presidents day weekend and made it out steele pass despite getting 2 flats. his solution? one spare and a couple of cans of fix a flat......and they take up less room.

ill toss this out for discussion: given the outrageous bill for a tow truck to come in from Olancha etc........if you towed someone out is it wrong to think there should be some kind of monetary exchange?  wear and tear on engine, transmission, rear end etc. plus the extra gear bought to be able to accomplish this........
id appreciate some opinions...........

LocoPete

Last I heard (a year ago) Good Sam would not use Miller's account someone up in Bishop was cheaper for them.
Rusty Scout

2 Real Spares  would be a nice addition to your off road kit.
Oobleck

Sadly, Miller may benefit from Good Sam's decision, as they are probably the guys Good Sam will use. Regardless, I don't think Miller will bemoan the loss. They hate coming into Saline, despite the outrageous charges. They say that half the time they come the car has been started already and they come for nothing. Still, $75 to just look for a tire?!?
bgibgi

Good to know, Oobleck. Please keep us informed on any new development. I wish there was a service other than Miller. I just came from SVHS. Lost a tire on the way there. Lee was out of town with nobody who could operate his tire-changing thingy. Many people tried to help but no luck. I ended up driving on a donut tire back home.
Miller wanted $75 just to check if they had my tire + "whatever the cost of the tire". Having an alternative will certainly change Miller's attitude.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.