Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
webboy52

Mr. Moderator... I totally agree with you concerning your opinion of Miller's Towing Service.  They will go where nobody else where nobody else will go, and they have the expertise to get the job done right.

Back in 2005 I get stuck in the Inyo Mountains, in Bee Springs Canyon.  This was't just a "stuck," it was a STUCK FROM HELL.  I called up the homeboys, and they responded with Jeeps and winches and couldn't budge my truck.  So I called Miller's and they came out the next day, and got me out.  Sure, it cost $1200.00, but it was my own damn fault that I got stuck, and I was glad they got me out of it.

I have nothing but good things to say about Miller's Towing.

$900 tow plus $400 for tires.
Russkies in the DV via google translate:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.drive2.ru/b/2268820/&usg=ALkJrhiBiqwRBGbCB-dzEeBJ4dm-ULs6Fg
ridingonfumes

I haven't tested this on that particular county road but I have had roadside assistance in Mono County come out to me on the maintained dirt county road west of siphon Hot Springs to bring Me gas
I wasn't out of gas there was still 10 gallons in the thing but whoever designed it was a moron......
It had two tanks and unlike most 2 tank vehicles the two tanks were connected with a single fuel pump.
all together they could hold 40 gallons of gasoline,,,, but when I got down to a quarter tank which was still 10 gallons if I found myself at the wrong angle it would stop taking gas up because it would all be in the other tank not the tank with the pump.....
So I ran out going up the Long Hill still a few miles from the asphalt road.

And I'm in a class a Motorhome a small class A (20 ft) but still a class A .
This was the roadside assistance plan I already get through my Progessive motorhome insurance,, but I had another incident on a similar long dirt road back down in Kern county a few years before in another Motorhome I had bent the rim by hitting the edge of it against a small boulder I drove past, I thought for sure my roadside assistance at the time Allstate Motor Club would not be covering it because I was not on asphalt but I called them anyway and they told me that because it was a maintained county road they would have someone there within a couple hours : )
So I can totally believe this and after hearing that someone called the company to confirm, I think I'm going to sign up with Good Sam as a secondary roadside assistance I've still got the one through progressive,,,, but I recently signed up for the Good Sam Camping World membership club mostly because it paid for itself in Propane by filling up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when they give members the extra discount..
But they also sent me a bunch of stuff about the Good Sam roadside assistance and apparently because I'm a member of the Good Sam Camping World Club I get the roadside assistance for like $60 a year so yeah after reading this I think I'm going to be signing up : ).
paul belanger

Agreed.  Miller's is way too pricy.  I suggest using these guys.
James Sel

The photo explains why towing company insurance is so expensive
Big Jeff

Now there's a strap on for ya [tongue]
trigger

TEETS just completed it's first successful extraction and tow out of Saline. I would just like to thank everyone for their support. I will be adding a long bed truck to the fleet soon.

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpg (98.70 KB, 75 views)

LittlePossum

I never said Miller was expensive at all. 2-3 grand for a tow out of the middle of SV seems like a fair deal. What's the alternative? One LA tow owner said the "rotator" wrecker could approach $1 mil; he owned 2 smaller wreckers that were $600k each new, but he pulls semi trucks out of bad places. I just wanted to clarify that OFF road didn't mean off concrete or off asphalt (standardized by rental agencies and vehicle clubs with tow perks). Over the years, since about 1974 for me, I've noticed fewer poorly prepared people and inappropriate vehicles going into the Saline, despite the published reports in the media. Whenever I've been in recently, I envy the rigs and equipment I see around Palm Spring.
paul belanger

Are you freaking kidding me?  If you think Miller's is expensive, then don't go down into the Saline Valley.  Have any of you ever looked closely at the rigs parked in front of Miller's in Lone Pine?  What do you think they cost? 
LittlePossum

Thanks, Sam D. I'd like to hear from anyone who actually tested Good Sam's policy. Or any policy from a roadside assistance (towing) program. They all appear to be standardized and all appear to agree---car rental companies included---on what off road means. It does NOT mean off concrete or off asphalt. There are so many "legal" hard-packed gravel roads in America and Nevada (where I live). We all hear about the "graders" on the Saline Valley Road; that's more evidence that the road is, of course, Inyo County maintained, hard surface and NOT off road, hence serviceable by tow companies (and allowable by rental agencies) when open by the County (see the NPS Morning Report). Again, the difference is the Saline Valley Road (yes) compared to the road to the Springs (no). But others could be right on: Make that call and you might very well hear: "Hell no." If so, pay Miller's and get reimbursed (eventually).

I've never found a 4Runner to rent in Las Vegas in my rental days (but again, I don't rent vehicles any more for the Saline for the good reasons I mentioned), but few think about Reno, only 3 hours north of Big Pine, and so close to the North Pass). The huge Toyota dealer in Reno rents Toyotas of all types: https://www.dolanrenotoyota.com/rental-cars.htm Cost looks reasonable to me. They only sell 4WD 4Runners, hence I presume the same for rentals.

There is something about flats in Saline that shred tires beyond belief. I've never been able to save a tire by plugging it. I'm usually horrified by how it got so shredded so quickly.

Sam D.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/brochure/index.cfm?id=3081115

Vehicles NOT COVERED by this program include
but are not limited to:

• Stolen, vandalized, or impounded vehicles.
• Utility trailers of any type being used for non-recreational
purposes, animal trailers and vehicles used to transport
show animals.
• Vehicles located outside the United States, Canada, Puerto
Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Mexico.
• Vehicles in a repair facility, off-road area*, sand beach
area, or any unattended, unlicensed, or abandoned
vehicles.
* An off-road area is defined as an area OFF of any of the following: hard-packed
or graded dirt public road, paved street, driveway, parking lot, highway,
freeway, expressway or adjacent shoulder.
trigger

Send them pictures of south and north pass after a good storm and wait for the their high level meeting response. I envision 4 people sitting around a table with coffee laughing saying, "where the f&@$ is Saline Valley???" "Dear mr so and so thank you for your inquiry but after reviewing your photos we have determined that there is no way in hell we will cover you."
Sam D.

Please keep in mind that the aforementioned communication with Good Sam took place in 2011.
Will somebody please email them again and check. Things could've changed.
Also, I was told that the road must not have any Road Closed signs.
I think I should download the Morning Report every time I visit to have some sort of an evidence that
the road was open when I went in.
James Sel

I get reception from the ghetto across from Lee's abode. Among other random spots. If I were to get three flats on one trip I would have used the air compressor and three plugs. But should have a holes too large for a plug I'd put on the spare and fill the other tire(s) with sand and continue rolling. LT tires are worthless out there get AT tires.
LittlePossum

No flats in about 5 years. But I drive slower than anyone. I'm talking 6 hours from springs to pavement South Pass on October 14. Sometimes the speed of a jogger it seems. Very high clearance but 2WD. I fear 3 flats all at once and a tow!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!