For a while now there has been lots of discussions about new people, dogs running wild, dog poop, rock graffiti, bathroom upkeep, internet marketing, trash, diapers, foot bath, showers, animals stealing food, etc.
I'd like to get a top 10 list of rules to send to moderators online so they can share with their members or sticky. Of course myself and many people here would love to shut them all down, but that is unlikely, so second best thing is to make everyone aware of the rules so we can try to protect the beauty of saline, before it becomes trashed like other hot springs (deep creek!) I've looked for any kind of rules on various sites but have not seen any.
I know this can get kinda onerous as everyone has different opinions, so lets be civil and hopefully we can quickly come to a consensus to send out before pres weekend.
1. Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources.
2. Pack it in. Pack it out. Do not leave garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3. Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs.
4. Do not bring glass anywhere near the pools.
5. Keep dogs on leash at all times and pick up after your dog. No dogs in pools! Beware - Coyotes will attack and eat small dogs.
6. Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp. Burros, coyotes, crows will eat your food!
7. Quiet time at 9pm. Noise travels in the desert. This is NOT burning man!
8. Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures.
9. Do not feed the wild animals. Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
10. Do not drive off the main roads. This means no donuts, or showing off. Slow down to keep the dust down.
If you are unsure about any rules, ask!
Thanks everyone for their input. I will keep updating the list as needed but I'd like to get it out there before pres weekend. I know many of you are members of various FB, meetup, social media sites, so please link to this page, or share it. Better yet if you know the moderators, let's try to get them to sticky the list. This will be one of my contributions to protecting Saline this year! Cheers!