Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Thunder58

Terawanderer We drive a Ford F150 4x4. Probably any 4x4 should be able to drag. We have pulled the tires and the metal drags. As long as your vehicle has a tow package you should be fine. 

Sam D. Yes the small tub next to the shower. I believe it is posted as a no soak only bathing type of tub so we clean off and get out but s few were using it as a private soaking tub. 
Sam D.

Thunder58, which bath tub are you referring to? The one next to the shower at the Lower Springs? I've always known that tub as the original soaking tub? It takes 1.5-2 hrs to refill so if you bathe instead of showering ...
I will renew the No Soap sign on the pipe that feeds the Bat pool that kinda faded away the next time I go.

Thank you for the drag.
Terawanderer

Hi Thunder 58.  You did a great job on the road......it was much better going out Saturday than it was going in on Friday.  What do you drive or how much power is needed to pull the drag ??  What is the minimum vehicle needed ?
encore889

Thanks everyone for their input.  I will keep updating the list as needed but I'd like to get it out there before pres weekend.  I know many of you are members of various FB, meetup, social media sites, so please link to this page, or share it.  Better yet if you know the moderators, let's try to get them to sticky the list.  This will be one of my contributions to protecting Saline this year!  Cheers!

[biggrin][tongue][wink]

We were there this weekend. We saw many people with dogs. I was very happy to see that they were mostly leashed. One woman had 2 German Shepards by the upper pools that were not on leashes and we had one dog just walk straight through our camp! So frustrating when people think they don't have to follow the rules. I also see people get in the pools all the time without showering. They just strip right there by the pools and jump in.

I was frustrated also with the number of people who treat the bath tub as a soaking pool! I personally like to bathe before I get into the pools and twice there were people just hanging out. 

If anyone decides to add more fencing to keep cars out of the pool area, and I mean like the branches around the grass, or want to add more rocks please let me know what weekend and my husband and I will be glad to come help!

We have also made it a habit to grab a drag whenever we come into or go out of the camp to the main road. There are usually a few at both ends and we just hook up and go!
trigger

Best I can tell from an aerial view of the springs the rock border around the source pool puts you at about a 100 feet. Doesn’t seem too bad.
trigger

Ya I’ve seen people allow their dogs in and we said something to them. I’ve heard from others they’ve seen dogs in the pools frequently as well. It’s the people who are there for the first time and definitely not regulars. In regards to the parking I’m thinking of the folks who are moving the rocks and parking by the pools. I’ve seen this a couple times now. They moved after a few nasty comments by us. Sometimes being polite to an idiot is not the way to go. If your that stupid to remove the rocks and drive in then you deserve to be yelled at! I’m thinking a 100 feet away would still only put you parking only slightly further from the pools than people who are stopping by for the day park now. They usually park right at the rocks. No biggy to me but I think it’s important to have something listed advising of a distance in feet from the pools. If you’ve got a disability nobody is gonna mind if you park by the rocks. No one is gonna bust out a tape measure either but it’s just nice to have a guidline for people to follow.
Rick

On 3, May I suggest you simple say

"Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs."

I worry that people may be less likely to shower before entering if you leave them separated.
Salt Peter

I did have to inform a moto group one time when they started to set up just west of Wizard on that hard flat section that it was not a camping area. They obliged and went to a regular camping area.
encore889

Thanks for the suggestions... I will try to keep it updated short and sweet. [comp]

I don't want it to become long paragraphs that people lose interest reading.  Everyone wants instant gratification... Attention is so meager nowadays.  [rolleyes]

Yeah I've always seen people park for a soak and then leave. Camping that close to the pools or sources is not ok.
Salt Peter

Have there been dogs in the pools?
People park near the pools for a soak and then move on. Not sure that's really a problem if they are out of the way.
trigger

Another suggestion would be to remove 1 or 2 of the 7-10 rules and add no glass at the tubs/pools. Also adding after rule 3 no dogs in the pools.
trigger

I’m only suggesting “pools” thinking the people who are not familiar with the springs more easily understand what is being referred to. Adding “park” is a must though.
trigger

1. Do not camp or park within 100FT of pools.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.