Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
trigger

Best I can tell from an aerial view of the springs the rock border around the source pool puts you at about a 100 feet. Doesn’t seem too bad.
trigger

Ya I’ve seen people allow their dogs in and we said something to them. I’ve heard from others they’ve seen dogs in the pools frequently as well. It’s the people who are there for the first time and definitely not regulars. In regards to the parking I’m thinking of the folks who are moving the rocks and parking by the pools. I’ve seen this a couple times now. They moved after a few nasty comments by us. Sometimes being polite to an idiot is not the way to go. If your that stupid to remove the rocks and drive in then you deserve to be yelled at! I’m thinking a 100 feet away would still only put you parking only slightly further from the pools than people who are stopping by for the day park now. They usually park right at the rocks. No biggy to me but I think it’s important to have something listed advising of a distance in feet from the pools. If you’ve got a disability nobody is gonna mind if you park by the rocks. No one is gonna bust out a tape measure either but it’s just nice to have a guidline for people to follow.
Rick

On 3, May I suggest you simple say

"Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs."

I worry that people may be less likely to shower before entering if you leave them separated.
Salt Peter

I did have to inform a moto group one time when they started to set up just west of Wizard on that hard flat section that it was not a camping area. They obliged and went to a regular camping area.
encore889

Thanks for the suggestions... I will try to keep it updated short and sweet. [comp]

I don't want it to become long paragraphs that people lose interest reading.  Everyone wants instant gratification... Attention is so meager nowadays.  [rolleyes]

Yeah I've always seen people park for a soak and then leave. Camping that close to the pools or sources is not ok.
rabbit

I parked near the pools when I was soaking, but I camped far out on the fringe, since some of us can't walk long distances, please do not restrict parking if using the pools. Handicap parking spots would be great, no handicap sticker--no parking.
Salt Peter

Have there been dogs in the pools?
People park near the pools for a soak and then move on. Not sure that's really a problem if they are out of the way.
trigger

Another suggestion would be to remove 1 or 2 of the 7-10 rules and add no glass at the tubs/pools. Also adding after rule 3 no dogs in the pools.
trigger

I’m only suggesting “pools” thinking the people who are not familiar with the springs more easily understand what is being referred to. Adding “park” is a must though.
trigger

1. Do not camp or park within 100FT of pools.
Salt Peter

Looks good and great idea. Glad you/Sam inspired this thread instead of everything being in the "Hygiene" thread.

In addition to a rules what are peoples thoughts on a suggestions/advice section too?
Seems dogs and noise have been primary causes of concern in addition to hygiene. I don't know how to incorporate it but dog crap should be addressed somehow. Barking too. I copied your list and hyphenated a couple things.

1.  Do not camp within 100ft of the springs.
2.  Pack it in. Pack it out.  Do not leave any garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3.  Take a shower before entering into hot spring.  Foot bath is a must.
4.  Keep dogs on leash at all times.  Coyotes will attack small dogs.
     -Pick up after your dog. Dog feces can spread disease.
5.  Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp.  Burros, coyotes, crows will eat your food.
6.  Quiet time at 9pm.  Noise travels in the desert.  This is NOT burning man!
     -Uncontrolled dog barking carries for long distances.
7.  Do not paint, draw or graffiti on rocks or structures.
8.  Do not feed the wild animals.  Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
9.  Do not drive off the main roads.  This means no donuts, or showing off.
10. If you are unsure about any rules, ask! 
     -NPS park rules are also posted at both the lower and Palm springs
encore889

For a while now there has been lots of discussions about new people, dogs running wild, dog poop, rock graffiti, bathroom upkeep, internet marketing, trash, diapers, foot bath, showers, animals stealing food, etc.

I'd like to get a top 10 list of rules to send to moderators online so they can share with their members or sticky.  Of course myself and many people here would love to shut them all down, but that is unlikely, so second best thing is to make everyone aware of the rules so we can try to protect the beauty of saline, before it becomes trashed like other hot springs (deep creek!)  I've looked for any kind of rules on various sites but have not seen any.

I know this can get kinda onerous as everyone has different opinions, so lets be civil and hopefully we can quickly come to a consensus to send out before pres weekend.

Updated 2/10
I'll start:
1.  Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources.
2.  Pack it in. Pack it out.  Do not leave garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3.  Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs.
4.  Do not bring glass anywhere near the pools.
5.  Keep dogs on leash at all times and pick up after your dog.  No dogs in pools!  Beware - Coyotes will attack and eat small dogs.
6.  Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp.  Burros, coyotes, crows will eat your food!
7.  Quiet time at 9pm.  Noise travels in the desert.  This is NOT burning man!
8.  Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures.
9.  Do not feed the wild animals.  Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
10. Do not drive off the main roads.  This means no donuts, or showing off.  Slow down to keep the dust down.

If you are unsure about any rules, ask!

Thanks everyone for their input.  I will keep updating the list as needed but I'd like to get it out there before pres weekend.  I know many of you are members of various FB, meetup, social media sites, so please link to this page, or share it.  Better yet if you know the moderators, let's try to get them to sticky the list.  This will be one of my contributions to protecting Saline this year!  Cheers!

[biggrin][tongue][wink]

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!