Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
shortyharris

Just got back from a great visit to the springs and wanted to let anyone who hasn't been out there yet that this list of rules is printed for visitors to take at the NPS sign and also laminated and hung in the bathroom. Stayed far away from spring breaking families at the upper springs but the lower springs were nice and clean and I dont think I ever saw an unleashed dog in the lawn/pool area.

BLawyered

I second Gene and BfT. Positivity goes a long way, imho.
Thunder58

Community influence is the only way to enforce the rules. We must not be afraid to point them out, educate and in some instances shame if needed to get compliance. 

bobhuckaby

rabbit:  the idea is to inspire doing the right thing by teaching the good things
this world is way too full of the government telling everyone what to do ==> wrong answer
we use this resource because it is wonderful, inspiring and healing, and that's what we need to teach
(then the people who don't get it can be annihilated)
bob from tahoe
peneumbra

Back in the Old Days, we had the Death Ray Machine.

You hooked it up to a 12 volt battery, pointed it at the offending party, and---

ZZZAAPP!!

Of course, this was in the BLM days, when rules were a lot looser...
peneumbra

In the line regarding "Share Your Resources," please put Beer first...
genocache

I like Bob's idea. Instead of posting a list of what not to do, how about a list of what to do and not do. Something like;

If you like coming here, please;

Have fun and don't camp within 100 feet of the pools or source.
Share your resources, firewood, beer, food and keep your pets under control and out of the pools.
The pools need cleaning daily and you can help by learning how and taking a shower or footbath before entering.
etc....

gene
bobhuckaby

how about some positive things, like
make new friends
share the beer
pass it forward
relax and enjoy
find a cool handle
take care of what you love

Salt Peter

Looks good to me.
encore889

Thanks Thunder!

Thanks for visiting Saline Valley Hot Springs.

For all visitors new and old, please respect and follow the rules below to keep Saline pristine.

1.  Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources.
2.  Pack it in. Pack it out.  Do not leave garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3.  Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs.
4.  Do not bring glass anywhere near the pools.
5.  Keep dogs on leash at all times and pick up after your dog.  No dogs in pools!  Beware - Coyotes will attack and eat small dogs.
6.  Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp.  Burros, coyotes, and crows will eat your food!
7.  Quiet time is at 9pm.  Noise travels in the desert.  This is NOT burning man!
8.  Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures.
9.  Do not feed the wild animals.  Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
10. Do not drive off the main roads.  This means no donuts, or showing off.  Slow down to keep the dust down.

If you are unsure about any rules, please ask!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your visit!

encore889 I can laminate copies for you. Just post the finished list and I will make copies
encore889

Thanks!  I appreciate that!  If anyone wants to print it out to distribute or share, please feel free to copy and paste in a word file!  We need to get the information to as many people as possible, especially newcomers...cheers!

You are doing God's work, encore.
encore889

1.  Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources. Are people moving rocks to park or camp next to pools?
During xmas some douchebag in a black tacoma drove right over the rocks and tried to park right next to volcano tub!!  major tom was flashing his light and a bunch of us told him to get the fk out!  he played stupid like he didn't know... but I think he was just trying to impress his gf... which backfired big time.  he ended up leaving.  we would have all harassed him if he stayed.  total idiot.

8.  Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures. This should be a given.  Maybe replace with camp only in designated areas?

I remember someone posted a couple months ago seeing drawn faces on rocks. PPL are stupid. unless it's written as a rule they will think it's okay.

10. Do not drive off the main roads.  This means no donuts, or showing off.  Slow down to keep the dust down. Would start this out with Drive SLOW.  In all the years I have never seen a donut at the springs but I always see people driving too fast.

Last pres day, someone got really stuck driving near the bench where you watch the view... above the cold spring.  Way offroad... not sure what he was doing. 

Post it in the shitter, in large print, so people have some reading material. Also post on message board.
I already mentioned this a few times in another post.  If I have time I will print the list and get it laminated.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution