Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
paul belanger

"Why do you think they invented trailers?  [thumb] "

I've been hauling a trailer to Saline for years.  So I could fill up the bed of the truck with ice chests full of beer/BBQ meat and boxes of firewood.  Need the trailer for all the wife and kids' stuff.  My new rig is an F-350 4x4, 4 door....planning to strap an FWC camper on the back.  Still think I'll need the trailer to carry all the essentials for an extended Saline run. 

And I will have 2 sets of chains for the thing if I go in winter.  But, I hate the cold weather and don't like going in winter.

bmxmtbman

This is funny discussion. I have driven through 4 feet of snow in my little old subaru, and turned around by 4 inches in my tacoma with burly tires... How many words Eskimos have for snow? Amount can be irrelevant. 
DBCooper

Back when I was 18 I put chains on my Galaxy 500. After they self clearance I easily went through twice as much snow on far worse roads. In Northern Michigan all we had was 2 tracks. I found out later your not Supposed to do that.

And the 500 held a lot of beer.
SilverBob

"...The main reason I could never own a Jeep is how the hell can one carry enough beer in the thing to make a Saline run feasible? "

Why do you think they invented trailers?  [thumb]
paul belanger

"Or they were from so-cal and forgot..."

Some just can't pass up a chance to bash LA, can they?

Well I resemble that remark. The main reason I could never own a Jeep is how the hell can one carry enough beer in the thing to make a Saline run feasible?
James Sel

I haven carried the chains in years. When I switched to 33's they didn't fit anymore. I should check if they fit the 31's I have now. It would be nice to have a couple ready to go it needed. But when I get stuck in the snow it's cause of high centering or I'm turtled. I figure putting on the chains would help me get stuck worse as drive more confidently in deep snow. If the is snow to be tackled best not travel alone. 
bobhuckaby

think about all the jeepers that come to the springs and park next to the shitter to talk and not even soak!!!
it probably didn't mean enough to them to push through, or they were from so-cal and forgot what chains are (takes up room they need for beer)
Commando Paul

Just because they are in a Jeep Club, doesn't mean they have Jeeps!  As Turtle would say when someone asked if their rig would make it over such and such a road: "I dunno, I never seen ya drive."

The old 'yota is fine in 18-24" as long as it's not too stale.
paul belanger

I thought that "Jeep club getting turned around in 12" of snow" anecdote smelled a little funny myself. What band of marauding Jeeps.... out and about in Saline Valley this time of year..... DOESN'T have sets of chains for all four tires of all their rigs?

Hell, I live in the city, and even I know better than that.
Hi Desert Warrior

To error, is human.  Or something like that.
SilverBob

It's been reported on the “Road Conditions” page that the North Pass is impassable due to snow.  Allegedly, a Jeep Club tried the North Pass on March 1st, and was turned back by 10-12 inches of fresh snow.  While we know it won't last long, it is proving to be an inconvenience to at least some people. 

I've been at this long enough to have been “saved” at least a dozen times by a good set of tire chains.  I've been in and out both passes in the snow and ice many times, both with a trailer and without.  I've only really been “stopped” twice.  Once was over 20 years ago, when I was pushing fresh snow deeper than the headlights on my '71 Bronco, trying to get out the North.  The other was more recent.  On the first trip in our stock Jeep Wrangler, we couldn't even get 100 yards off the pavement before getting high centered on old, icy, crusty snow.  Both those years were exceptionally good (or bad, depending on your perspective) snow years that closed the North Pass for well over a month.  I'm willing to bet that the folks in the Jeep Club that couldn't get through 10-12 inches of fresh snow didn't have chains.

So here's the question that's been buggin' me for some time.  Why would otherwise normal people rather endure root-canal surgery than use tire chains?  I don't know how many times I've recommended chains to people, both on this forum and in person, only to have them look at me like I'd just pissed in their Corn Flakes.  Good tire chains are the greatest portable traction enhancing devices ever invented.  They work in snow and ice, as well as mud and deep soft sand, yet the vast majority of people refuse to carry them, let alone use them.  

Could someone please explain this?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!