Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
Sam D.

By the way, this campendium site allows only positive reviews of the SVHS. I posted an objective review which did not pass the site's moderators.
SilverBob

Otherwise, there could be no "Secret Handshakes". [thumb]
Thunder58

Well there are Secret Societies that consist of many people so more than one can know the secret. lol
Glidergeek

Definition- Secret- Not known or seen or not meant to be known or seen by others.

Once more than one person knows (the secret) it's not a secret anymore.
Thunder58

We also fell in love with what we found at the end of Bat Road! We have made many trips back since in the last 4 years of knowing about it. Learning that the road is self maintained we learned how to hitch the drags to the truck and on our rockhounding trips would drag the road coming and going to the Springs. We have always left our camp site better than we found it. Last time we were there I helped Lee with raking and dumping the Burro poop. lol We also brought a bunch of fish in however it seems the next time we went only a few had made it. I am always amazed by those that care about the springs enough to bring toilet paper, soap, cleaning items and actually clean the bathrooms. SO it deeply saddened me to see he destruction of some of the rock art in the area. It was obvious that people have ruined them and simply tossed the rocks around. This place is so amazing. It is hard for me to fathom why people choose to destroy it. I wish it were a secret and that we had magically stumbled upon it. But with the internet it will only get worse I am afraid. We will continue to try and repair the damage done each time we go there but I fear it will be a losing battle.

slash2

For me it was just noticing Warm Springs on a map. 

The year before I first visited the springs my wife and I visited the racetrack via Lippincott Road. Unfortunately the Lippencott scared the crap out of her, she didn't say a word the entire time but apparently my strategy of hugging the hillside at the washouts didn't reassure her that I was avoiding the edge of the road, it only succeeded in tilting the jeep up enough to give her a much better view of the steep plunge to death just inches away. I was clueless until a couple of weeks later when I overheard her telling a friend that she had never been so scared in her life and that she was never going 4 wheeling again.

Bummer, cuz I had fallen in love with Death Valley.

I was especially intrigued with the Saline Valley after having viewed it from afar on the trip to the Race Track. The deep gorges in the Inyos, the long expanse of what looked like nothing through the valley. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to keep going down there after the butt numbing rock cobble drive down from the South pass to the Lippencott turn off.

So I started Google Earthing it, checking out the slot canyons, the salt flats, the mines, but it still looked like a long way to go just for that, then I noticed that there were warm springs up that one valley. Cool, I like warm springs.

So I planned a trip, alone, to visit the Eureka Dunes then drive over Steel Pass and see what was up with warm springs out in the middle of nowhere. Dedeckera Canyon was fun the first time, and the folks in the Land Rovers that I encountered coming down Steel Pass thought I was nuts to be out there by myself (probably right but I've done it many times since) but nothing had prepared me for what I would find at the springs.

Imagine coming upon that special place totally unaware.

Thunder58

Actually it was Google that told me all I needed to know about the springs. I had not even heard of that FB page till last year.
Sam D.

I encourage everyone to register and rate the camp.

But if you'd like to know which site has done the most damage due to cross-linking and absence rules/etiquette look no further than this facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/salinevalleywarmsprings/
slash2

Campendium's Top Campgrounds of the Week

https://mailchi.mp/campendium/top-campgrounds-this-week-122618?e=d16ed9a4e8

now everybody is gonna know...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution