Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sawjim

Gad I Have landed and taken off on the Hoop De Do strip and the Chicken strip so many times I can't count um. How in heck unless ur a bad pilot ya can crash out there. Flown 150's 172's Piper J4 and Super cub's and A few Citabrie out there. A snap. I spell that right? Thoes days I kept ave gas in Riches Chicken coup only to need it and he gave it to some jerk that came in the valley with no gas. Yep, those were the days when we didn't have the stinking government official in a air conditioned office some hundred miles away out there to tell us what to do. They have a way of screwing up everything they touch.

Saw Jim
RiverRat
I have mentioned this story before, seems like I am the only one to remember it (Major Tom?)

RiverRat
Salt Peter

Thanks for the reply and great history. He sounds like a real aviator (sarcasm). I'm sure the engine had to be overhauled. Anytime there is a prop strike it is a requirement from what I know. Funny he would threaten lawsuits. I would have been over there snapping away. Not to get him in trouble but the fact that I like aviation and it would have been good history to have documented of life at the springs. One day I shall fly to the Chicken Strip. Then hike to the springs. [tongue]
RiverRat
The old strip was too short, uneven ground, and directly pointed into a bank and camping area off the E end. 

One of the thrills I received at the hot springs was (1987? 1988?) spring break.  We were camped at the base of the bluff, off the E end of the old strip.  Some moron flew in with 3 friends, scouted the old strip with a couple flyovers, then tried to land, from W to E.  Too fast or too long.  He tried to abort, flew over our heads, hit the bank with his landing wheels, collapsed a (shock? strut?), circled the salt pan for half an hour while his friends, I guess, stuck their heads out to see what the problem with the landing gear was, then came and landed at the Chicken Strip.  They had a beer cooler that took all of them to pack around, rude, loud, oggled the women, then loaded the remaining beer and ice and tried a takeoff after a leisurely morning and the air was warmed up. 

It was amazing, to hear the plane throttle up, start down the Chicken Strip, then an abrupt "WHUMP" and silence, an echoing silence.  The takeoff attempt ran out the runway, the pilot, if I may call him that, pulled up too hard (I assume, there are probably technical words for what he did), stalled (again, I assume), came down in the wash, trimmed the cresote brush, caught a wingtip, and spun the plane 270 degrees into the gravel bank, probably bouncing back and forth a couple times in the process.  Grabbed first aid and ran, along with everyone else at the Springs.  The 4 of them climbed out, an amazing color of white and green on their faces.  As far as I could tell, the plane was junk.  The frame (bent? kinked? looked like a broken back), prop twisted, wing and tail tattered, etc.  No blood, but not for lack of trying.

Pilot was threatening lawsuits if we took pictures or said it was his fault, his friends weren't having anything to do with him, understand the plane was a rental, imagine there was a lot of explaination over that.  The engine was probably salvagable if it wasn't tweaked by twisting the prop into the gravel bank.  I have photos somewhere, still wonder what the upshot of that was, or if that was why the old strip was closed.  Wonder who hauled the wreck out (Millers?).

RiverRat
Salt Peter

So I was looking on google earth and finally see where the old landing strip is. Why was it closed down and the new location chosen? Seems the old one was in a much better area for access to the springs. Must have been some grand times flying in during the old days.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!