Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
SilverBob

We're leaving for SV tomorrow morning, about 09:00.  Any orders received after that time will not be processed until we get home on Tuesday, Nov. 1st.

Happy Nevada Day, everybody!

Sparky of SoCal

I helped you support your off road habits.[biggrin]
SilverBob

It puts out plenty of heat for 4 people to sit around on a cold night or 6 people on a cool night.  At about 10" across, it's not a very big fire but since it doesn't smoke or shoot sparks it's easy to sit up real close to it.  

We've never tried to cook over it, but then we don't cook over any other campfires, either.  I figure that's why they invented the camp stove!  However, many people have asked that question, so I guess I'll have to  make some sort of rack and try it out.  Stay tuned!

It behaves just like any other campfire when the "W" thing is around.  It burns the fuel much faster, the flame becomes erratic and most of the heat is wasted.  Just set it up in a sheltered location and you'll be fine.
Salt Peter

Looks very interesting. How much heat does it put out? Does it keep you warm on the cold nights in paradise?
Can you cook over it?
What happens when the "W" thing is around?
SilverBob

Yep, I saw the Flame Genie a couple months ago.  It looks like a quality product, but I think it's better for a more permanent installation.  According to their web page, it burns 8 pounds of pellets in 45 minutes.  I wanted a fire that lasts longer than that.  The Hot-Pot is lighter, can't rust and has a solid bottom that keeps the ash and residue contained.  My idea was to make something portable, that didn't take up much space in the back of the SUV.  At 4 1/2 pounds, I think I succeeded. 

There are several videos on YouTube that describe how to make wood-gas stoves.  I hope that anyone with the ability to make one for himself does so.   I realize that not everyone has the ability/equipment to work with stainless steel.  I'm offering this as an alternative to those folks.  

My goal is to build a larger unit that will hold a full 40 pound sack of pellets and burn at least 6 hours.  Hopefully I'll have one done by Presidents' Day.

Stay tuned!
SilverBob

Remember all the discussion last winter about the shortage of firewood at the springs? Among all the complaining, blaming and general hand-wringing, someone jokingly suggested dumping 10 pounds of wood pellets in a hubcap and making your campfire out of that. Well, I can tell you, that doesn't work. I know because I tried it. Wood pellets in a pile don't burn with an active flame, they just smolder and make lots of smoke. Too bad, because it's so much easier and cleaner to haul a sack of pellets than a bunch of firewood.

Then I remembered a little device that we made when I was in the Boy Scouts, about 50 years ago (yes, I'm really that old!) It's called a wood-gas stove. We made them out of an old soup can and tomato can with a bunch of holes punched in them. It would burn pine cones, needles, dried cow-patties or whatever you could fit into it. I decided to make one of them that could hold 10 pounds of wood pellets and see how it worked. The result has frankly exceeded my expectations.

You dump the pellets in, squirt some charcoal starter on it and light it. Without doing anything else, you get to enjoy about 2 hours of bright dancing flames without worrying about sparks, smoke or having to clean up the next morning.

[hot-pot%20flame_zpsucohopa9]   

Those of you who were at the springs last Presidents' Day may have seen the first prototype burning next to the campfire at the Lower Soaks, or during the post-game pot-luck at Palm Spring. It got a lot of attention and many people expressed interest in buying one. Since then, I've made several improvements and developed a process to manufacture them in quantity. I call the device the “Hot-Pot”, and details can be found at...

http://www.Hot-Pots.US

If you're interested in buying one, you can save the shipping cost by meeting us at the springs or somewhere else and picking it up in person. Otherwise, shipping costs $12.50. We'll be at the springs for Halloween for sure, so we can deliver some at that time. We may also be back for Veterans' Day, but I'm not certain. I'll post when we're sure. Hot-Pots delivered in person also come with a bottle of starter fluid and 10 pounds of pellets. We can't ship flammable liquids, and the USPS wants more to ship 10 pounds of pellets than it costs to buy a whole 40 pound bag!

NOTE: I will NOT have Hot-Pots for sale in the Valley! Don't even ask! Engaging in commerce in a National Park is illegal, and I have no intentions of violating any laws. I will only deliver units to those folks that have pre-paid via the web site or by phone.

We've already sold over 30 of these things, and everybody really likes them. Check them out for yourself, and let us know.

See you at Halloween!

SilverBob and Michelle

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!