Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
SilverBob

Propane laptop, eh?  That's too cutting edge for me.  Mine runs on steam.  But I can generate steam by burning wood pellets, so it's all good! [thumb]
peneumbra

Since my laptop runs on propane, I've put a "wye" on the gas line so that I can run a stove and go online simultaneously, which is almost like doing both at the same time...
Sparky of SoCal

My lovely bride and I were out with some folks a while back and were able to have a conventional fire. I pulled out Bob's fire in a can and set it up behind her chair and I was a hero. That don't happen very often.
SilverBob

It gives plenty of heat for 4 people to sit around on a pretty cold evening.  The fire is only about 11" in diameter but it puts out lots of flame.  It'll make you back up unless it's really cold out.  On a milder evening, 6 or 8 can be comfortable around it, probably much like a small campfire without all the smoke.
djp1990

Bob, how much warmth do these provide. Would you say it's more fer lookin at or is it comparable to a campfire. Thanks!
Sam D.

Bob, you need to include "bricks and patio are not included" for legal reasons [wink]
SilverBob

If you're interested in owning your own Hot-Pot, here's your chance to save a few bucks. 

I'll be arriving at the Springs on Friday, the 17th.  I have room in the Land Cruiser for a few complete Hot-Pot kits.  If you go to http://www.Hot-Pots.US and select the "customer pickup" option under Shipping, you can save the $12.50 postage and I can deliver your kit to the Springs.  That includes 10 lbs. of pellets and a bottle of starter fluid that I can't include when I have to ship them via USPS. 

We've sold over 50 Hot-Pots so far, and everybody seems to really like them.  Once you get used to burning pellets, it's hard to even sit near a smoky old wood fire anymore!  The best part is that when the fire is done and the Hot-Pot cools down, you just put it back in the box and take it home.  There is no ash, unburned coals, or anything to show that you'd been there!  It's "Leave No Trace" camping at it's finest!

If you want one, please place your order by Thursday, the 16th.  I will only bring enough to fill the advance orders.  I will NOT be selling these in the Park.  That is illegal, so don't even ask.

6723.jpeg 

Sparky of SoCal

One thing I noticed with pellets verse firewood and it has nothing to do with the DV area is at 10,000' the pellets took away less cocktail time to maintain a smokeless and comfortable fire.
SilverBob

I was hoping that someone who has already bought a Hot-Pot would chime in and answer your questions since I'm probably a bit biased, but here goes.

10 pounds of pellets give 2 hours of flame, then another 2-3 hours of heat as the embers continue to burn.  Wood pellets come in a 40 pound bag that's roughly 24"x14"x8".  That's much more compact than a comparable amount of cord wood.  It's also much cleaner if you're carrying it inside your SUV or car.  I don't know where you live, but if you're coming in to California from another state, like we do, you always get asked at the Ag Inspection Stations if you're carrying firewood.  Apparently they can seize your firewood at the border if they think it might have some kind of invasive insects or something in it.  You'll never have that problem with wood pellets.

If I can answer any other questions, just send me a PM from this forum or via our web site.
Salt Peter

I think I need one of these after this last trip. It was pretty chilly. How many pounds of pellets for an evenings fire? Would it end up being the same as bringing enough wood for a few nights? Thanks.
peneumbra

In my experience the best soup cans to use are Hearty Beef, with Cream of Potato a close second.
bikerjosh

Discovered this just days before my trip, and they actually dropped it off at the post office on their way out of town so I would have it before my trip.

Another proud owner of the Hot-Pots. Worked flawlessly, loaded with  10lbs +/- (didn't have a scale) of pellets, add a little lighter fluid, and good to go. 
Put out a consistent 2hrs of visual big fire, after the flame subsides the mass will continue to give off heat for the next 2 hours. Next morning the ash = about 1/2 to one cup. Very happy with the unit. 
Have used it twice since I have been home, wife loves it for sitting outside at night. 

One piece of advice; once fire burns down, my buddy poured in a bunch of pellets and essentially smothering the flame. I don't think he realized the hot-pot continues to give off heat due to the mass of coals when the main fire subsides. 

Thanks Josh
TheyWander

I witnessed the hot pot in action this weekend. Worked flawlessly for 2 hours. We'll done.
badtux

Clicked thru the link. Nice. In stainless steel, no less.

I once created something similar with aluminum flashing before when I was in my "experiment with weird and whacky camp stoves" phase (nowadays I just use a standard canister stove, or a bigger two-burner Coleman propane stove if I'm going to be doing real cooking), but it was much smaller (sized for boiling coffee) and it didn't have a bottom, just crossed stainless steel wire and stainless steel window screen, it required sitting it down on dirt for the bottom.  The top had a "grate" made of stainless wire for holding the coffee pot. Aside from wood pellets you could burn twigs or put one of those pressurized alcohol stoves in there or Esbit tablets (though they made a mess on the bottom of the coffee pot).

But I don't think my approach would scale the way your stainless steel approach scales, plus, you have a real bottom (though I guess I could have made a real bottom for mine pretty easily if I'd bothered to do so). So kudos!

bikerjosh

Mine is on the way, for my nov 3-6 trip. Full review coming
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!