Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Dpsmedic

Here is an interesting historical resource.

Death Valley National Monument, Historic Resource Study, A History of Mining

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/deva/

slash2

Ah, I see now, the mine isn't at the buildings in the draw, it's way the heck up on the hill above, where the trestle bridge is! Never mind. I'm up for some hiking but probably not that much given in the shape I'm in these days...

Thanks for the info trigger!
trigger

Bunker Hill won’t disappoint. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy it. Lotta hill climbin.
slash2

Hey Silver Bob, what about the Bunker Hill mine and the diggings up Little Hunter Canyon? do those offer any underground exploring.
I might be headed out that way this coming week, so I can check for myself, but I'd like to get some early feedback if possible.

Thanks,
Mr.T

Good ideas for next trip, thanks! [smile]
Dpsmedic

Yes, as of two years ago when we were there you could, but as with any mine there are multiple different ways you can get hurt, or die. Collapses and poison gases maybe present. I have no idea as to safety if you enter. We camped overnight at the lower entrance. Watch out for nails, they were everywhere. Luckily we did not have any flats. PM sent to you.
slash2

Thanks Dpsmedic, that looks interesting. Can you go in the mine?

My wife is interested in minerals that fluoresce under UV light. We go in the mine and then turn off all the lights and then turn on special black lights. It's amazing how many minerals glow under UV light, kind of like how scorpions glow green under black light. Some of the mines we went to in the Dawin Hills were a little like the scene in the movie Avatar where they douse the torches at night and whole forest lights up with "glow in the dark" plants. Not quite that trippy, but it's pretty cool.
Dpsmedic

We found this one just NE of Eureka Dunes interesting. Great view from the ridge line above it down into the valley. 37°14'35"N 117°41'19"W Lower entrance is here. 37°14'34"N 117°41'13"W
slash2

Yes, I noticed someone had capped off the shaft near that cabin down the wash from Jack Ass Canyon. Must have been the Park Service.

At the time I wasn't interested in poking my head into crumbly old mine shafts, so I didn't pay much attention to the diggings at Marble Canyon or the ones down the Inyos in the Valley, so I didn't know if they had explorable shafts or not. Now that I've had little taste of it, I thought I'd check them out if there was anything to see.

SilverBob

You'd better hurry!  The NPS has had contractors closing all the mines in the park for over 5 years, now.  I know they were working in Marble Canyon (North Pass Road) a couple years ago.  I haven't checked all of them, but I assume they got at least most of them covered.

If I were you, I'd check the mines on the BLM side of the valley.  Waucoba Mine, Gray Eagle Talc Mine, or the mines in Daisy Canyon might be good places to start.

Good Luck!
slash2

Do any of the abandoned mines in and near the Saline Valley have have open shafts and tunnels that can be explored?

I spent last weekend in the Darwin Hills and Argos Mtns exploring some of the many abandoned mines in the area and I was amazed at how large and extensive some of the excavations were. It got me wondering if any of the mines in the Saline Valley, Opel Canyon and Jackass Flats had open shafts that can still be entered and explored. I plan on checking them out a little closer next time I visit but I wanted to get some further insights before loading up with a bunch of extra gear that I may not need.

Thanks,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution