Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment  
Sam D.

I've seen some posts on the facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/salinevalleywarmsprings/

ford

Any pictures of the party? Estimate of how many attended? We didn't go but we still want to know!
minierf

"The gap between your expectations and reality is your suffering."
-John St. Augustine
ford

We had a ball at Tecopa Hot Springs as our alternative to Saline, glad we didn't try driving in with the bad weather out there. Why do people push the odds driving into Saline with the wrong equipment and few provisions? I have sound equipment and experience but what is the point of making everyone else suffer for my bad decisions should I make any? 
peneumbra

That white muck is actually leftover turkey gravy...
bobhuckaby

the NWS forecast has both rain and SNOW in the saline valley from Tuesday night through Saturday, significant rain in the valley Wednesday with snow in both passes and down in the Owens valley
actually the hardest part of rain at saline is the clean up afterwards, that white muck does not want to wash off and the shoes are so thick with muck it is easier to just throw them away
thanks again to the guys who rescued my EZup this spring in that big rain storm, it cleaned up though the camp stove did not survive
all things considered, the rest of you are invited to Tahoe for my smoked turkey and roasted vegetables (if they get around to plowing the foot of snow we are supposed to get at home)
I hope to go in for a long Christmas week and see some of you then to tell me what I missed
bob from tahoe
ford

Due to the storms coming this week we will not be driving into Saline. We will try again next year.

For all that do make it in, Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

peneumbra

Firewood is always a good thing to bring to Thanksgiving. And one year, we brought about 40 gallons of mashed potatoes.

Some of which was left over - it was eventually used as mortar to hold some rocks together at the Crystal Pool...
AlaskaIsCold

I was actually thinking about heading down for thanksgiving as well. I was going to stock up on supplies the springs needed, I was wanting to bring either my large cast iron skillet or my dutch oven, and do some wood-fire pizza or some one pot stroganoff. It could also be fun to do some astrophotography while im up there...
bonneaudickson

There has always been plenty of room around the springs at Thanksgiving.  

During the planning process, the National Park Service was concerned that a thousand people or even thousands of people would descend upon the springs.  I think that this probably was based on their experience of Yosemite and Death Valley being so overloaded that a reservation is required to go there.  

For over a decade, we have been counting the number of cars/people camping and the number of people attending the potluck Thanksgiving dinner.  The maximum number of people has hovered around 300.

So you will easily find a place to camp.  

The standard protocol and etiquette is to act like you have good sense and to practice common courtesy. :-)

Bring some nice contribution to the potluck dinner and come help set the dinner up.  
Bret

Is there a plan afoot for Thanksgiving this year? I've never come to SV for this giant party but I'm curious to do it. Any tips for the best way to camp around there when things get that busy? Any protocols or etiquette that help manage the load on the springs?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution