Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

Looking at the webcams for Owens Valley those of you who are fortunate to be at the springs today woke up with the Inyos dusted by snow.
bobhuckaby

It was a beautiful feast
Bob from Tahoe
Flipper

Happy Thanksgiving all. I will wait until after the big crowd has come and gone. Planning on a visit to the springs, Sunday after the holiday. Want to be able to actually soak. Haven't soaked since the maintenance on the Wizard was done. Look forward to seeing anyone that is staying after the Thanksgiving celebration. 
bobhuckaby

Lots of families for thanksgiving, here is picture in 2013
remember to bring veggies for soup day after SalineThanksgiving2013.jpg 

OakieEd

Hi Jesse (aka MapLicker),
My now 8 year old son has been in SV the last few Thanksgivings and loves it. Usually plenty of kids to play with.  We'll be in a Lexus LX470 with a Yakina Rocket Box on the roof. Probably camping upper springs. Look for us and Eddie and your 7yo daughter can meet up....Ed
Sam D.

The earlier you arrive the better your choice of camping will be.
You can come on the day of Thanksgiving and still find the spot. Just come during the daylight. If you drive around in the middle of the night waking everyone up then you won't make lots of friends.
People are still friendly unless you make an arse out of yourself. Be the friendliest people at the springs.
I've seen kids there many times but is your kid OK with CO folks? If not, why bring her to a CO place?
As far as contributions... turkeys, cranberry sauce, french pastries and a collection of fine wines are always welcome.

MapLicker

Hi,

I am intending to go to the Saline Valley Hot Springs for the week of Thanksgiving.  My last time in SV was the spring of 1990 and before that in 1987.  I intend to arrive via the north route and exit via the south route, go east through DV and back north, including a trilobite stop in the Montezuma range.

What should I expect now?  Does it matter arriving on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, etc before Turkey Day?  How difficult is it to get 'your camping space'?

How are the friendliness of campers now?  Back then it seamed like a really charmed place.  I did not go to the lower HS though, as it did seam a bit clicqy.  How is that now?

What is the population of kids?  I will be bringing my 7 yo daughter and my wife this time.  We have camped before many times, but nothing quite like SV.

Any advice as to how to contribute for the Thursday potluck?

Oh, and does anyone have a QGIS set of files for visiting SV that they are willing to share?

Thank you,

Jesse 
aka MapLicker
1993 F-350 Turbo-diesel 4x4 crew cab
TeleFunKen

Hey Flipper! Tiff and I have been going every thanksgiving and Presidents' Day for a few years now. If you're comparing it to the Presidents Day weekend crowd, I'd say it's slightly more crowded, but also a different type of visitor. I wouldn't say all of them have a disrespect for the place, but not as many are as preservation minded as the Presidents' Day bunch. A lot of camping and driving where they shouldn't, and other general disrespect for the desert... typical young newbie shit, in my opinion. But with that said, a decent number of the thanksgiving crowd, like the Prez Day crowd, have been going there every year for many, many years... if it weren't for those long time regulars, it probably wouldn't be worth going anymore... so if you're thinking of going, please do. We need people like you Flipper to help educate the newbies. If you do, stop by the Yurt for a beer!
bobhuckaby

The good news is that even with so many people there it is a large area to spread out so only the potluck dinner has a crowd.
I found most of the people to be friendly and respectful.  I was sad to be sick and miss it last year.
Bring veggies for soup the day after.
Bob from Tahoe
tstone1227

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Saline Valley this coming Turkey Day. We have been going to DV for that week in November the last two years. I hope I will be able to return every year until I die. We did the Racetrack last year, and thought Saline would be more remote. So I have two questions for you old-timers:

1. Any comparisons between the crowds at the Racetrack vs. the Hot Springs? Someone said 200 people earlier in this thread... that's a lot, probably more than the total number of coming and going the entire week at the Racetrack last year. Racetrack was busy for DV standards, but nothing like other National Parks on holiday weekends.

2. If the hot springs are really that crowded, how about the rest of the valley? That is, if I wanted to set up camp somewhere peaceful, would it really be hard to find a good site anywhere in the valley? Doesn't have to be at the springs. I'm actually pretty interested in exploring the canyons on the eastern face of the Inyos; wouldn't hurt to camp near there. I know people are reluctant to publicize their camping spots, but it can't hurt to ask: any especially good sites for tent camping ANYWHERE in the Saline Valley area, preferably previously used sites with some kind of clearing from the rocks? I was looking at Willow Creek Camp on my 1985 TOPO map, anyone know anything about that?

Thanks for everything you all do, I'll be sure to check out the other boards to see what we should bring in terms of donations and supplies for Lizard Lee and the springs.
James Sel

If the roads get some pretty bad rain damage just before turkeyday them, I'm going in other than that Its PSR for me.
florida

I've been the last two years. Tons of folks with no respect for the place. Just a venue for them. Driving all over the designated wilderness, spinning dusty donuts. I don't think I'd call them Burners. They were just trashy and ignorant and disrespectful. I would go anywhere else.
Flipper

Allrightyden! I was wanting to go just don't want to fight the crowd. Will still consider going. 
Jukebox Mark

I think there were like 200 for Thanksgiving dinner two years ago. Had a lot of fun making music, but honestly couldn't get near a tub until Sunday. Drummer Dan said the 'lull' at 4am still had 8 people in the Sunrise pool! No thank you.

We will be there for Turkey again this year. I'm guessing MT will be too. Confirmed Dennis won't be coming in until Sunday, and that makes sense too.

You owe me a White Russian...or three!

Crowds big time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!