Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
bobhuckaby

I got to miss TK because of illness, then find my house guest in Costa Rica last week from Tahoe was at Saline TK first time, it's a small world
Bob from Tahoe
Sojo

Hello Dennis I'll catch you at tecopa. I am a long haired fellow and will be with my wife. Happy thanksgiving.
XPBC

Hey Sojo, I might be at Tecopa Saturday. Panamint Springs For Turkey Day and then on to some stuff we haven't seen yet East of DV then out Shoshone way. No Saline for us this time but soon.
Dennis
Sojo

Thanks emjay. I will most likely do tecopah on Saturday. And thank you dvexile your response has been the most helpful
DVExile

It will be cold, high forecast to be 49F so that will force people to keep their clothes on unless they are soaking.  So if there are 400 people only a small fraction will be naked at any one time.

Beyond the cold the weather looks to be nearly perfect with only a slight chance of snow on the north pass a bit before Thanksgiving.  Roads are mostly in excellent condition with people recently bringing in low slung 2WD vehicles (presumably being driven very slowly) via South Pass.  I think that means you should expect the place to be completely overrun with people.  To me that completely destroys the point of even going there, but obviously at least 200 to 400 people think differently than me [wink]  Sounds like you've got the right attitude expecting a crowd and just exploring on a first visit, but I suspect other members of your party will not be happy.  My first visit ages ago was Christmas Eve which attracts a much smaller crowd than Thanksgiving but still enough people to destroy any perception of solitude and it was still a lot of fun because I had the right expectations going in.

In my experience put 100 people together anywhere and at least one bozo thinks they are god's gift to music taste and everyone in a three mile radius should involuntarily benefit from "enjoying" their playlist.  Sound carries really far out there.  Expect music and noise that you can't get away from.  Usually people understand after a certain hour it is time to be quiet.

If you do go plan on doing your prime soaking from like 2AM to 5AM, most people will be asleep of course and it will seem "too cold" to go out and soak but of course the best place to be in the cold wee morning hours is the tub.  Get your core temperature through the roof and then go back to your sleeping bag at sunrise.

Hope you enjoy your first visit, and make a plan to come back when it is less crowded too!
Sojo

Wow that is larger than I would like, but nevertheless I would still love to see this amazing place. I guess more people means more of a chance to make friends. I suppose I'll return on a less busy day, but this weekend is a time for exploration. Thanks for the all your help. Should I expect blaring loud country and or dance music? Should I expect 400 naked people or only half that?
Sam D.

200 for the dinner. I would not be surprised to see 400 total.

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1280645773&postcount=18
Sojo

Thanks for the response. Like uncomfortably large (+100)?
Sam D.

Presidents' Day and Thanksgiving do attract very large crowds.
Sojo

Hello I'm coming up thanksgiving weekend with a group of ten friends possibly. Some of them may back out because they heard there's a massive party with like 400 people who come every thanksgiving. Does anyone know about this? If this is true I don't think they will come because part of the beauty of this place is in the isolation. I will still come no matter what but I would like to know if this massive gathering is indeed true.
thebus

One Eurovan coming in for Thanksgiving. What is needed?

Me and two other guys will be there Thursday. Trying to get in early for the potluck. 
bobhuckaby

My plan is to go in Wed, without new picnic tables, ready to bbq a whole turkey Thur. and make soup again Fri.

I have the 4-wheel chains in the truck, but there is a ribbon on them that says not to open until Xmas.
Bob from Tahoe
James Sel

I'll ask my fortune teller what the conditions will be like when I meet with him tonight in Big Pine.
trigger

I thought I was the only one who towed like that.......I mean pushed
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!