Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tronaborn

RE:  "what the average temperature runs at that time of year? I'd also like to know in a ruff estimate the number of people I might encounter", it can vary but highs in the afternoon should be more like 100-105, maybe an occasional 110 in mid-May.  

There won't be many people, like 5 or less at the Palm Spring.  Not sure how many at the Lower Spring.  You might even have the Palm Spring to yourself for a few days.    

I can tell you it's spectacular to be there by yourself.  It's a big, big, hot place and it's special.  Most of my trips are in the summer these days, though I used to go every Christmas for 10 days or so.  The count on Y2k was estimated at 600 and that's not really my cup of tea.

All the usual warnings about preparation, carrying lots of water and having a reliable vehicle apply even more in the summer.
Possum

Based on my limited experience (twice around May 15) in recent years, you will be completely alone, at least at Palm Spring. Maybe 1-3 others could arrive. Temp will vary of course. But figure 115-120 for a high. The problem for me was sleeping at night. I felt it never cooled enough to sleep. A rattlesnake or two at my feet near the shower finally drove me out. I was alone, but a lone female NPS ranger did pass through (came via Steel  Pass) and talked to me for a while.
hotsoak

Hi everyone;

Most of the time my visit to Saline is in October. This time I'm coming in May 14th and I'd like to know in general terms what the average temperature runs at that time of year? I'd also like to know in a ruff estimate the number of people I might encounter? I'm just wondering because I share most of the things I bring in. Depending on few or plenty will determine the amount of things I bring.  I appreciate any information anyone might provide on the aforementioned.

Thanks

Hotsoak
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution