Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
paul belanger

Throwing in my $0.02.. Trailers all day long. But not with 2WD trucks. We have hauled a small travel trailer in the SV for more than 15 years. No problem. (‘Cept breaking a couple of leaf springs ha ha.) But we always had trucks/SUVs with four-wheel-drive.
Thunder58

Yes, although I have seen just about every kind of vehicle in there I think once you start towing anything you would need a 4x4 to be safe. 
BigDaddyJEH

The soft sand on the Bat Road will get you.  4x4 will be required with a trailer.  
mlmorrison

I would just strongly second the 'don't use a 2-wheel drive'. I know it's not my money but get yourself an appropriate 4x4.
peneumbra

Do any of these "travel" trailers - as opposed to big commercial freight trailers - offer air suspension? 

TIERRA O MUERTE!!
Thunder58

I think if I was towing I would come in from the South. There are less of the big deep dips from that approach 
Kevin Mokracek

I took my So Cal Teardrop out to Lee Flat and White Mountain Talc Rd last week and it did great.  Cruised easily on the road at 75mph and handled the washouts on the Talc Rd just fine.   Taking a teardrop out to the springs should be zero issue.
Thunder58

It appears that there is not a problem if loaded correctly

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40600
peneumbra

Would be nice if one could lower the trailer for road towing and then raise it as shown for off-road. Or maybe those trailers are so light that you could tow it as pictured on pavement at full speed...

TIERRA O MUERTE!!
Thunder58

I so want one of those Tear drops just for SV!!! They are so cute!!
BigDaddyJEH

Sorry, yes absolutely you should be Self Reliant and be prepared.   I did not mean it to come out like that, poor wording.  
peneumbra

Very nice looking teardrop trailer.
speakeasy

@Big Daddy, Not sure why you are not preaching complete self reliance.
BigDaddyJEH

The valley is an amazing place with a lot of really nice people.  So, even if you have a problem, then someone will help you.  Just be prepared for the worst and take it easy.  Several of us are there often with 4x4 that would and could pull it out for you.  John from the UK now.  

P.S. I will be there the last week of September if you need help.
bobhuckaby

pretty trailer, full size wheels can handle it, my mantra is "easy does it does less damage"
many places there I would not want to be 2wd even without the trailer
bob from tahoe
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution