Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
bobhuckaby

the new pilot did have a more experienced pilot with him, forgot to mention
the tri-gear Cessna in my picture is Dave's 182
Salt Peter

So that 172 was flown by a recent PPL?
Guess I'm a bit more reserved about my skills and backcountry aviating. Even with about 260hrs I don't think I'm confident to fly there w/o my instructor and a few trips in and out.
bobhuckaby

Lots of airplanes came and went last week, attached is a picture on Sunday 1/5.  Michael passed his private on Saturday, so flew a rented 172 from Bishop out to Saline on Sunday, and did a nice job of it.  Pilot Dave, who has done this a lot, says the ruts are challenging and they want to pull the nose all over the place in his 182.  Watching the tail draggers on the upper section, their wings are wagging a lot.
Bob from Tahoe

Attached Images
jpeg rsz_p1030071.jpg (405.07 KB, 47 views)

Salt Peter

Two planes came in day before yesterday. I didn't talk with the pilots but they seemed to have no issues. Both aircraft Cessna's. One older model taildragger, the other looked to be a 172.
bobhuckaby

I drove the strip in my truck on 12/29 and found it quite loose on top, maybe 2" deep gravel though mostly level, with the right side appearing less loose/deep.  The truck felt somewhat squirrely at only 30 mph because of the looseness, so make sure to use soft field technique.  I am wondering if because stock airplane tires are narrower then they would track better than the truck?  Also noted that the bottom end of the strip was more wavy across it, so touching down closer to the wind sock would be advised and you still need power to get to the top.
Bob from Tahoe
DBCooper

The strip is in fine condition. No ruts or rocks. Its lined by white painted rocks that can be seen from miles away. The wind sock is present. The threshold is marked with big cones. There are 3 finished tie downs. It looks like maintenance was done not too long ago to smooth the surface.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!