Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

Any chance we can have these recent condition posts moved to the following thread:
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/chicken-stip-winds-and-condition-7385660?trail=45

Sad to see the Cub in an upside down state. Glad the pilot/pax are ok.
dezrtdave

Hail as large as 1/2 inch came down for about 5-10 minutes. Mixed with large raindrops. Melted quickly.
I've experienced thunderstorm hail in Saline before.
Sam D.

dezrtdave, thanks for the report.
Could you please elaborate if it actually hailed in Saline?

60 mph hit and flipped the plane.  Flash flooding came through last night.

Plane1.JPG  Plane2.JPG  Plane3.JPG   
Ed_B

Wow.  Very Bad luck for the Cub Pilots.  At least they were not in the aircraft when it flipped.  Sad though....
dezrtdave

Friday July 1 thunderstorm from NE generated a tornado-like squall with high wind, blowing sand, heavy rain and hail.  A Piper Cub landed about an hour earlier and was tied down. Pilots set up small tent before storm hit. The very high wind gusts tore the plane from its tie down, lifted it up and flipped it upside down. Pilots not harmed. Flash flood washed out portions of the road to Bat Pole but it is still passable. 

Runoff created several channels on the runway, which probably is unusable until repaired.
56buck72

I flew in on Sunday and left today in my C172. A friend was also there in a Cardinal 177RG

The strip in good condition, no major ruts or bumps.

It was just a bit windy on Sunday when I landed around noon. I had a bit of a right quartering tail wind on landing which made for a faster and longer than usual landing roll. The wind picked up quite a bit later in the day and seemed to change direction a lot. Several dust devils in the area as well.

The wind calmed down after dark.

There was hardly anyone at the lower springs.

Jose
tahoepoidog

4 planes at Chicken Strip on 3/25-26.  Seems that there was a night landing?  Wow!  Guess all is well.
56buck72

@Kristine and Bryan,

It was nice to meet you both as well. I would like to get over there again soon, before it turns into an oven. [smile]

Jose
56buck72

Piece of cake.

The most difficult part for me, coming from the central valley, was getting up over the Sierras.

I don't have wheel pants but I don't think that may be a big deal. If you land right on the threshold, you'll be able to stop long before you get to the top. On take off, I was airborne in about 2/3 of the runway length.

It is a one-way strip, you land uphill and take off downhill. once you get within about 50 feet of touch-down, you'll be committed to land. No go-around at that point unless you have a lot of power.

Jose
Salt Peter

How is flying a 172 into the Chicken Strip?
Kandy

Jose great to meet you.. Swing to Vegas anytime to grab us for trip to Saline valley. Great plane you have saw you both fly out in morning.

Kristine and Bryan

Ercoupe! That's pretty cool. My father had one.

For desert rats and back country pilots this is a great book:
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Desert-Maturango-Museum-publication/dp/B0006EFE8S
56buck72

Hi,

I flew my 172 in Saturday and left this morning.The camping was nice. The burros paid us a visit in the middle of the night but were easily encouraged to leave.

The strip is in good overall condition. It is a bit "wavy" but no ruts or holes. The parking area is in good share as well. The wind sock is in good shape.

Thanks to whoever brought the fire pit in. It came in very handy. We brought a case of firewood and it was nice having the pit.

My friend landed his retractable 177 Cardinal with no issues at all. We also saw an Ercoupe land while we were there.

Jose
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!