Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics

  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2

Posts: 38
Great report SilverBob. I may have picked the wrong year to drive my 4runner on the trail versus my motorcycle? It will interesting to see what condition the trails are in when I'm there in the end of October.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 410

1)  I'd like to know that as well.  The sign at the intersection of 168 and DV Road says road closed 30 miles ahead.  If that's true, that's past the turn off to the dunes, and we should be able to do Steele Pass.  I wish we'd had time to check it out, but there are only so many hours in a day.

2) Mazourka Peak repeater is one that is fairly easily accessed from the east side of Saline Valley.  Another one is the Silver Peak repeater (146.940- 103.5).  Those two are linked, so whichever one you can hit will get you contact with anyone between Lone Pine and Mammoth.


Posts: 30

I shall try to get a new showerhead as well, with the plan on being there in less than two weeks. Is there anything else I can take to make life better out therefor others?

Can you answer a couple of more questions?

1.)    Is Big Pine – Death Valley Road passable back to the 395 from Eureka Dunes?

2.)    You mention 2-meter repeaters. I have gotten Mazourka Peak from the Lower Springs.  Is that one of those you mentioned? Are there others that worked for you?

Sam D.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 815
I' ll bring another showerhead if I can make it
Sam D.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 815
I would not be surprised if the showerhead I brought was stolen as well. The other hot springs I frequent experiences theft of brushes, buckets and pool plugs.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 204
I'll be working on another showerhead tomorrow for replacement of the lost one.  When are we going in to start the restoration process?  I'm itchin' to get back out!

Avatar / Picture

Super Moderators
Posts: 93
Nice report! Shame on the theiving bastards that ripped off the shower. Hornhead made the showerhead and I had just replaced the bench top. May the sand of saline forever invade the undies of the theif! I am confident we can repair the damage. I am certainlly willing to help. 

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 410
We stopped at Lee's camp as we were leaving and told him about the showerhead (among other things).  He didn't mention having another one, but he also knew we were leaving.  Perhaps he went up and replaced it after we left.  Either way, I'll deliver a new one when we go back to fix the sink.
Sam D.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 815
"some jerk stole the showerhead" - check with Lizard Lee. I brought him a spare last year. The shower head has rubber nozzles which tend to plug quickly, but it can be used as a temporary workaround until somebody comes up with something better. Was the Palm Springs' shower head the same diameter as the one at Lower Springs? I'll post the need for a new showerhead in the Camp Needs thread.
Un Forgiven

Posts: 74
1) With all that devastation of the Palm Springs, may I inquire what the camp host is doing? I understand he does not need to clean the pools during summer - there isn't anyone there. But he should've cleaned them prior to the season opening.

2) When things get broken, isn't it the responsibility of the camp host to fix them? Things remain broken for months until somebody organizes a work party. Why are we allowing this guy to live on our land rent-free ?
All he does is he cleans the pool he soaks in, waters the lawn and helps idiots with car problems. If more people gotten towed from the springs perhaps we'd see reduction in visitation.

The camp host needs to lead the efforts to restore Palm Springs and Bat Road. Otherwise, I see no reason for him and his shanty town to be there.

Posts: 13
Thank you again for the detailed report and photos!

Looks like Geo Mitch's hi-lift jack is going to get a workout...
Ranger Ric

Posts: 29
Excellent report with all are having too much fun....

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 410

This report covers the Steele Pass Road from the Bat Rock intersection through DeDeckera Canyon, as we found it on September 14th.


Starting at the Bat Rock turnoff, and continuing most of the way to the Bat Pole, the road across the valley was obliterated by the floods. Washouts too numerous to count have removed most traces of the old road and deposited tons of flood debris all across the valley. Many of these washouts are very abrupt, with sharp drop offs and ledges up to a foot deep. High clearance vehicles are recommended for this road. Bright red ribbons tied to bushes mark the route to the Springs. I followed my GPS, which had the old road programmed in it, and found the ribbons to be almost exactly along the old route. Nice work, whoever did that!




There have been enough vehicles in and out since the flood that the road is fairly well defined during the daytime. Please try to stay in the existing tracks. Also, remember that gathering firewood is prohibited in the National Park. Even though it's driftwood that was washed down from the canyons across the valley, you're still liable to be cited if caught gathering it.




If that wasn't bad enough, the road conditions really take a dive between the Bat Pole and the Springs. The old road is completely gone, and again, red ribbons mark the trail. You're really just driving up the wash at that point. The road surface is mainly rock and debris washed down from upstream. Use extreme caution on this stretch to avoid flat tires, punctured oil pans, etc.




The Lower Warm Springs camp area suffered minor damage to the campsites on the flat above the Camp Host's residence, as well as moderate to severe damage to the campsites along both edges of the arrow weed. The tubs, source, lawn and campfire area were unaffected.




The road to Palm Spring was damaged as well. The washout shown below is just above the tufa hill, just below the main camping area. There is a way around it, but it involves going off the road for a short distance.




The Palm Springs camp will need quite a bit of work. Most of you have seen the picture of the shower. That's not really that bad.  The shower still works, although some jerk stole the showerhead, and the bench is still secure. The floodwater stuffed a bunch of rock and gravel under the platform, wedging it up almost to the height of the bench. We'll need to lift the platform, remove the gravel and rock, and reset the platform at the desired level. The material removed from there can be used to fill in the big ditch in front of, and under the sink. The drain trap and pipe were broken during the flood, and will need to be replaced. Both faucets still work, however, so all the underground plumbing survived.   

Both pools were in sad shape when we got there. We drained, cleaned and scrubbed the Volcano Pool so we could soak. Ken shoveled a bunch of debris out of the Wizard Pool and did a partial water change. It still needs a lot of help!




The road from Palm Spring to the Upper Spring has been completely relocated. The flood destroyed the plateau that the old road was on top of. The new road now just follows the wash. It is also marked with red ribbons. As you can imagine, driving over that terrain after a flood is not ideal. This washout is about 100 yards above the last campsite along what's left of the old road.




Driving up to the Upper Spring is slow and tedious, to say the least. Good tires and patience are essential. The Upper Springs themselves survived the flood, although the surrounding area took quite a beating. Standing in the wash north of the fence, we could see debris seven feet above the floor of the wash. The force of that flow must have been incredible!





Another couple miles up the wash brought us to Geo Mitch's van. I'm happy to report that it remains undisturbed, just waiting for rescue.




By now the surface has smoothed out a bit, as we're driving on more and more gravel and sand, and less and less rock. That's a welcome relief, as we were able to get up to 5 MPH for a while! The red ribbons stopped at the van, and for a while we had a tough time picking from the many forks in the wash. Some of them were dead ends, while others started to lead off away from the main wash. Finally, we started to see some green ribbons tied to bushes along the side of the wash. We followed them and they led us in the right direction. I'm not sure why they used green, as they're tough to see at times, but we're glad they were there!





The trail stays in the wash for another two to three miles until we started finding short sections of the old road again. We went back and forth between the road and the wash for a while, then finally rejoined the existing road for good. That was just above the old turn off to the petroglyphs.

From there the trip was uneventful all the way to the top. It seemed that little or no rain had fallen at the top of Steele Pass, as there was absolutely no road damage for the last few miles to the top.


Lunch at Steele Pass




After lunch we headed on through DeDeckera Canyon and down through “The Narrows”. We drove through with no trouble at all. In fact, Mark thinks the steps are as mild as he's ever seen them, and I'm inclined to agree.

Tight Fit!




We relaxed in the shade of the canyon and admired the view of Eureka Dunes for a while, we turned around and headed back up through DeDeckera.


Ken getting a little "Air Time" on the climb.

 We made it all the way back in exactly three hours. (You can go much faster when you know where you're going!) We arrived in camp just as the sun was dropping behind the Inyos. It was a long day and we thoroughly enjoyed a soak in the newly cleaned Volcano Pool before bed.


The Park Service has this route listed as “Impassable”. Obviously it's not impassable. That said, if you've been over Steele Pass in the past, you know that it was already a rough road through the most remote part of Death Valley National Park. It's even rougher now! Don't try this alone, without telling someone where you're going. A group of two or three reliable vehicles would be the best way to attempt this route. We found that our 2-meter ham radios could reach the repeaters in the Owens Valley from several spots along the road. It's very reassuring to have that resource available in the event of an emergency!

 Finally, if you choose to try this trip without heeding the advice above, and you die, don't say I didn't warn you!

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution