Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Salt Peter

Un's excuse was that it was too hot to clean the pool.
Others reported lack of bleach and it is on the supplies list now.
Sam D.

Lee uses a small diameter sturdy hose to root out pipes. Check with him if the problem still exists. I'll check the drainage there if I am able to make it this weekend.
I'll see if I can find and bring a small plumbing snake.
SilverBob

There is bleach available at Palm Spring, just not a lot!  I saw at least two gallons beside the Volcano Tub, and we used about 1/2 gallon of it to clean the tub.  Mitch left three brand new gallons beside the Wizard Pool, and there were a couple partial jugs there already.  There was also a small supply in the outhouse.

Bleach loses its potency when exposed to sunlight, so some of the older jugs might be ineffective by now.  More bleach is always welcome, but "There was no bleach." is not a valid excuse for not cleaning a tub.

The reason we couldn't completely clean the Wizard Pool is that it wouldn't drain below 2/3 full.  Apparently there is an obstruction in the drain pipe.  Historically, Columbus Day weekend marks the start of the "busy season"  That's only a couple weeks away, so anyone planning to visit then might consider bringing something to root out the pipe.  That is, in case Lee doesn't get around to it first.
Salt Peter

Thank you for the detailed report. Can't wait to get out there even if I am the lucky one who cleans the Wizard pool. Well worth the price of admission. If no one is up there and no bleach is available it would be a weekly battle to keep all the pools clean. I have no problem for having a set of eyes at the springs even if all the pools aren't getting cleaned.

Un you went there and stated you didn't clean the pool either. I know you will never admit to this forum who you are or show your face. I bet you'll be pretty quiet at the springs too when you're there. I bet you won't be doing any work there. Basically you have a problem with Lee there offering assistance to drivers and not cleaning all the pools all the time. Well you don't need to go there either if you aren't willing to put your elbow grease to work. You had a problem with George and Ria even with all the work they do at the springs. You're sad.

UNWANTED as always.
Sparky of SoCal

Then again if there was not somebody there full time one of the scourges of the west would possibly run rampant. Vandals seem to lose their nerve when witnesses are around.

florida

Oh go undo yourself little troll.
grand wizard unforgiven

I think un forgiven is on to something here." Why are we allowing this guy to live on our land rent-free ?
All he does is he cleans the pool he soaks in, waters the lawn and helps idiots with car problems. If more people gotten towed from the springs perhaps we'd see reduction in visitation."clearly, he's "taking advantage of Us".
Wombat

Quote:

I don't know when the repeater situation changed. Maybe BARC and SIARA merged? You're right about Mazourka and Little Lake being linked before. When I was down in Saline in August checking out the North Pass I noticed that Silver Peak and Mazourka are now linked. I wasn't far enough south to check Little Lake. Linking Mazourka and Silver Peak is really wierd, since you can get into both of them most of the way along 395. Who knows?

Thanks for the information. I will update my radios and notes. I hope Little Lake is still in the mix because it really helped in the middle on 395. I will check in a few days on my way by . . . Thanks to your recon out trip is on!!

bikerjosh

BigJeff
Yes, using a URD pulley to get the extra psi. Also have a 7th injector and an FTC.

VegasNaturist- I'll keep in touch.

josh
VegasNaturist

SilverBob great report and pics. Thanks...

BikerJosh we are still planning on coming in in late October as well. Nov 1st is our anniversary (38th) and we have spent it at the spring for the last few years. Kinda becoming a tradition. Anyway, I wouldn't mind caravaning in if schedules coincide. I have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/winch, and consider myself more experienced than a novice, approaching intermediate level off-roader. If nothing else, I have some common sense... We'd probably head in Oct 31 and head out Nov 3rd.

John
Big Jeff

Bikerjosh

I have a supercharged Nissan Frontier, did you get the 9psi with a pulley change?.   Sorry to hear your truck has a drug problem[rofl]
bikerjosh

Thanks silverbob, I'd say intermediate off roader- 4runner is 98, frt/rr arb lockers, winch, 3" suspension lift, full armor, 295 bfg's and 3.4, blown-pushing 9psi plus meth for giggles. I think it will be fine,  just need to find a couple other rigs that want to spend a few days on a long loop.
SilverBob

I don't know when the repeater situation changed.  Maybe BARC and SIARA merged?  You're right about Mazourka and Little Lake being linked before.  When I was down in Saline in August checking out the North Pass I noticed that Silver Peak and Mazourka are now linked.  I wasn't far enough south to check Little Lake.  Linking Mazourka and Silver Peak is really wierd, since you can get into both of them most of the way along 395.  Who knows?
Wombat

Quote:
1) I'd like to know that as well. The sign at the intersection of 168 and DV Road says road closed 30 miles ahead. If that's true, that's past the turn off to the dunes, and we should be able to do Steele Pass. I wish we'd had time to check it out, but there are only so many hours in a day.

You did great and I thank you for it. We’ll be entering the valley via the Lipincott and e exiting for home from the Dunes. I am betting enough of the road is there, like you said, based on the 30 miles and all. It should be fine and if not, then back to the springs . . . ha ha.  

Quote:
2) Mazourka Peak repeater is one that is fairly easily accessed from the east side of Saline Valley. Another one is the Silver Peak repeater (146.940- 103.5). Those two are linked, so whichever one you can hit will get you contact with anyone between Lone Pine and Mammoth.

I always though Mazourka and Little Lake were the linked pair along the 395 and Silver Lake was not. We’ve used the Little Lake/Mazourka pair in the past on the way up. Sometimes the link is down and for a while Little Lake was down. 

http://n6ov.com/repeater.html 

On the way we usually sort of meet on air Keller -> Ransburg -> Little Lake -> Mazourka . . . . simplex when we are together and off road.

SilverBob

Well, the motorcycle would be a lot easier, but look at Ken's truck in the pictures above.  It's a near stock 1993 pickup with a very small lift.  He made it everywhere Mark and I went all weekend.  Now Ken's a very experienced off-road driver, and we did spot for him a couple times, but at the end of the day we all arrived at the same place.  If your 4Runner is mechanically sound, and if your skills are up to it, I'm sure you could do Steele Pass.  I'd suggest going with one or two other capable vehicles, not alone.  "Strength in Numbers", remember?  If you're a beginner at this sort of trip, you probably want to wait for things to improve.  Good Luck!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!