Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Salt Peter

Please use the Steele Pass Road Condtion thread. It helps keep all reports concise and in one place for specific routes in.
http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/steele-pass-6700264?pid=1294814846
joe

Four years ago crossing Dedeckera Canyon / Steele Pass

Salt Peter

Road condition pages were rampant a couple years ago and were consolidated into their own threads. All you had to do is ask in the actual Steele Pass thread. Easy peasy. Since I'm not site admin I cannot merge this into the other thread, hence my suggestion. Not for you, the moderators. Carry on and welcome to SPA.
ADV_AS

Salt Peter - you may organize any way you see fit.  I chose discussions topic area because I had no new Intel on the conditions of the roads.
Salt Peter

Can this thread be merged into the Steele Pass road conditions thread if seen as necessary? I just noticed this is a thread unto itself.
carexpert

Well... ADV AS you could have just a ride, or you might as well go for an adventure. Poke around ADVRIDER too for like minded souls, I only ride something I can pick up by myself.
ADV_AS

I appreciate all the information... so thanks everyone.  I do agree with needing good up to date Intel on Steele Pass before attempting.  I would like to know if anybody has taken big adventure bikes over the pass with the current conditions.

tronaborn

If you go off on Lippencott you should have stayed on the pavement in the first place.  It's not that bad.  Yes, Steele Pass is more technical and for the last several years the route has disappeared and moved from time to time because of intense rains and flash floods.  I haven't been on it for several years so someone else should address current conditions.  It's a wonderful drive through some very, very remote and beautiful country.
carexpert

ADV_AS that is correct about South Pass snow affecting Hunter Mtn. Hunter turn off is at the highest point on S Pass but a nice detour on bikes in warmer weather. Steele Pass is more technical in my opinion but bigger consequences on Lippincott if you go off
ADV_AS

Thanks Tronaborn,

Is Steele Pass the most technical out of all the passes and that is what makes it adventurous? 

ADV_AS

Thanks Carexpert,

If snow is the deciding factor then Lippincott from Ubehebe sounds the most reliable.  Approaching Lippincott from Hunter Mtn would be an alternative but not if the South Pass is also snowed in.  Would this be a correct statement?

carexpert

ADV_AS, its all about the snow & ice this time of year. For reference: North Pass peak altitude is about 7,000ft, South Pass 6,000', Steele 5,100', Lippincot 3,800'. The further east you go the less snow too.
So Lippincot should have the least amount of snow if coming in from Ubehebe. But if you are gonna get to the Racetrack and Lippincot from Hunter Mtn I think it's > 7,000'
tronaborn

Use Steele Pass if you are looking for an adventure.  If you want a rough gravel road possibly covered with snow this time of year, go South Pass, North Pass or possibly Lippencott if the others are snowed in.
ADV_AS

Hello Friends of Saline, I was hoping to get insight regarding Steele Pass.  I have been over North, South and Steele but don't know enough about the decision making process when to choose one or the other.  Last year we made it over North pass on the big ADV bikes on Presidents Day weekend, we encountered snow and ice but was able to make it over.  What I remember of Steele Pass is the short but steep waterfall climb up the narrow canyon and the sandy river bed.  Is this the preferred pass when North pass is snowed in? Generally what’s the scoop? 

Thanks -

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!