Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next
dautremont

Went from Eureka Valley over Steel pass into the springs on Friday June 24. Dedeckera Canyon kind of washed out in the steps - still a little wet soil from a recent downpour.  Otherwise the road from the pass down to the springs is in normal condition.  127 degrees F on Friday!  Very gusty / windy...
trigger

Absolutely!

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpg (132.85 KB, 75 views)

Salt Peter

Can a prius or civic make it? I kid!
[crazy]
dautremont

Went over steele pass last weekend into the springs.  The road is in usual to good shape, only need 4wd for the steps in Dedeckera Canyon, the steps are well built up now.  
bmxmtbman

Eureka to Saline and out north pass. Came out on Saturday. All roads as good as I have seen them. Three of us in a mostly stock tacoma. 
dautremont

Went over from Eureka Dunes to Saline Hot Springs on Saturday Feb. 27 - excellent road condition, Dedeckera not bad, well marked all the way.  Out over Lippincott on Sunday, also in good condition.  A little snow patches on Hunters Mountain but minimal.  Driving a Grand Vitara 4wd with 30" tires, rear locker.  Great weather!
Jeepnik

Came north to south on Steel Pass on 12/29.
The dedeckera canyon had a dusting of snow, and the steps the were mostly the same as previous years.
Coming over the pass was straightforward.  On the way down there's still rock-stacked zones from previous washouts that take some care and spotting, and wouldn't be suitable for low clearance.
Alluvial fan path along the lava flows was clear cut to find even at dusk.

Attached Images
png Snap_2016-01-13_at_18.01.03.png (926.80 KB, 49 views)

Ape Runner
Did Steele Pass South to North, including Dedekera Canyon on 1/10/16.

Steele Pass was well marked from the springs all the way to Dedeckera. Dedeckera was in good condition, and challenging.

No issues with the trails on our trip.
Kevin Mokracek

I came over Steele Pass on December 29, just after a snow storm the night before.   The road through Dedecker had a few inches of snow and the section from the top to the springs had the usual tough spots.   I would doubt very much that a Outback could make it without severe damage.   
BTW I was driving a stock Rubicon Unlimited.  
GeorgeHayduke

I would not try Steel Pass in a Subaru...not enough clearance. In addition to the stairsteps in Dedekera, there are two back-to-back bad spots about 1/2 mile SOUTH of Steel Pass when I was there last January.
Salt Peter

I wouldn't suggest a Subaru Outback.
Google some photos of Dedeckera Canyon and look for the stair steps/waterfalls. In a 4x4 it isn't too much of an issue. If you're traveling alone I wouldn't advise it.
Didotti
Hi, is there any one could advise if we can pass this with Subaru Outback? Also if anyone can give the latest updates about the road condition that would be much appreciated. Merry Christmas!
Jeepnik

To clarify, we have a Cherokee, Tacoma and 4Runner all with clearance, and have done the pass before.

Wondering with the weather systems coming through and still forecasted if anyone has an update on conditions or crosses up until Christmas?
Rusty Scout

Can a Suburban or a larger vehicle such as a fully kitted out Sportsmobile make through the pass without clearance issues these days? I know back in the day (like 2010ish) it seemed there was a pinch point (narrow spot with rocky overhang) the the route just above the Burro Springs as you are leaving Saline Valley towards Eureka Valley. But then again it seems that the UC Berkeley Geography 1989 Subuurban ran that route at least once a year. Also I know someone that wants to run that route on a TRD Taco with a Four Wheel Pop UP Camper.
Jeepnik

Planning to head over Steele from Eureka valley with a small party after Christmas.

Wondering if anyone has done it or will be doing it since the Nissan crew or motorcycle party that have checked in here...?
Thanks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!