Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
chrishaynesusa

Looking for an update on this road.
Bringing in 8 rigs on Veterans week.
Well prepared rigs. [biggrin]
jynxx1970

Well i put some more tracks down for you to day 10/01/2016 and thanks for the flagging it was a big help.. the road returns to normal about 5 miles past the upper spring. we as far as the marble bath. then came back. it was time to get more BEER [biggrin]
SilverBob

Here's a report I got from our friend, Mitch.  Sounds like Steele Pass Road got hammered again.

The Steel pass road has been washed out from Palm Springs up, but I 

don't know how far up. Lee said some vehicles went up put didn't come 
back so they made it through (or they are still there). Patrick K. and 
I worked on the road to the upper spring via the same route used in the 
last 3 years. (Patrick was out there in July and posted the flood 
video.) I flagged the road and we moved some rocks. All it needs now 
is some traffic. The flagging I used will probably degrade by the end 
of the month but there should be some folks going over the pass by 
then. We did not work on the road beyond that, although we looked at 
it. The pre-2013 route looks rough but the post-2013 route (the one I 
built to my van) may be doable. I am worried that people will leave 
tire tracks all over up there until a single route is established again.

gael

I was at Palm Springs 7th - 9th. No other parties.

I did notice a single set of tire tracks either leading to or coming from the direction of Steele pass. These were obviously made after the storm. Considering that the last 4 miles to the spring are currently extremely washed out, I wondered who would be so foolish as to venture up into such abject destruction, and in such godawful heat.

On the other hand, who could have made it out with anything less than a bulldozer? I hope those dipshits are alright. It's starting to get miserably hot.

pugsly

great video, thanks for sharing!
psk

The north eastern sections of Saline Valley toward Steele Pass received significant amounts of rain on the night of the 1st of July 2016. Lower and Palm Spring were flooded but not severely, see https://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickkirchmann/sets/72157670677855626 4mi of the Bat Road closest to the springs washed yet remain in drivable condition. North and South Pass were unaffected as of 07/02/2016. Steele Pass Road north of the Upper Spring seems to have washed severely though as the storm was ragging there and in Eureka Valley. The washes were very active, the sound of boulders rolling could be heard all night. I did not venture up Steele and it promises to be an interesting drive. Look out for remains of a green Jeep Cherokee: three first-timers ventured up Steele only 1-2 hours before the storm hit - they did not return to camp that night or the next morning by 8am. Maybe they made it to the dunes?

Went from Eureka Valley over Steel pass into the springs on Friday June 24. Dedeckera Canyon kind of washed out in the steps - still a little wet soil from a recent downpour.  Otherwise the road from the pass down to the springs is in normal condition.  127 degrees F on Friday!  Very gusty / windy...
trigger

Absolutely!

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpg (132.85 KB, 74 views)

Salt Peter

Can a prius or civic make it? I kid!
[crazy]
dautremont

Went over steele pass last weekend into the springs.  The road is in usual to good shape, only need 4wd for the steps in Dedeckera Canyon, the steps are well built up now.  
bmxmtbman

Eureka to Saline and out north pass. Came out on Saturday. All roads as good as I have seen them. Three of us in a mostly stock tacoma. 
dautremont

Went over from Eureka Dunes to Saline Hot Springs on Saturday Feb. 27 - excellent road condition, Dedeckera not bad, well marked all the way.  Out over Lippincott on Sunday, also in good condition.  A little snow patches on Hunters Mountain but minimal.  Driving a Grand Vitara 4wd with 30" tires, rear locker.  Great weather!
Jeepnik

Came north to south on Steel Pass on 12/29.
The dedeckera canyon had a dusting of snow, and the steps the were mostly the same as previous years.
Coming over the pass was straightforward.  On the way down there's still rock-stacked zones from previous washouts that take some care and spotting, and wouldn't be suitable for low clearance.
Alluvial fan path along the lava flows was clear cut to find even at dusk.

Attached Images
png Snap_2016-01-13_at_18.01.03.png (926.80 KB, 48 views)

Ape Runner
Did Steele Pass South to North, including Dedekera Canyon on 1/10/16.

Steele Pass was well marked from the springs all the way to Dedeckera. Dedeckera was in good condition, and challenging.

No issues with the trails on our trip.
Kevin Mokracek

I came over Steele Pass on December 29, just after a snow storm the night before.   The road through Dedecker had a few inches of snow and the section from the top to the springs had the usual tough spots.   I would doubt very much that a Outback could make it without severe damage.   
BTW I was driving a stock Rubicon Unlimited.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!