Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
TopoDcat

I spent five hours and forty five minutes driving between palm spring and eureka dune, on thursday 3/09/17, route in good condition, plenty of gravel and cobbles and a few sharp rocks. I always enjoy the drive up the alluvial fan and take my time doing it.
SilverBob

I also exited the valley via Steele Pass on the 21st.  I left Palm Springs at 11:00 am in my '94 Land Cruiser towing my teardrop trailer.  I had no issues, but there were a couple tricky spots where the trail was re-routed by the last big flood.  Longer or wider vehicles might have some issues snaking between the boulders without sheet-metal contact.  There was no snow, fallen rocks, or stuck campers to deal with, and I was able to carefully straddle most of the mud holes in the Eureka Valley. 

As for the steps, I don't see any need for any more rock stacking.  It's all about picking the good line and going slow and smooth.  If you're gonna stack any more rocks, you might as well concrete the whole thing and drive Camrys in that way.

I left at 11:00 and was in Bishop at 4:00 pm. 
Road Gypsy

Steel Pass 02-21-2017 clear, technical driving up mountain above wash, staircase needs to be built up a little in spots, ripped reciever electrical out of hitch assembly down one of the rock stairs, bent hitch assembly. Nissan X-Terra Off Road 4×4

Any updates on Steele? 
Jeepnik

Beautiful pictures of snow on the pass!
Salt Peter

Great pics and great rig, thanks for sharing.
phodges

Just drove in and out the Steel.  Only a few parties at the Springs, a rear wheel drive van and a subaru had come in Lipincott and were headed back out that way. 

20170129_135516.jpg 
20170129_135625.jpg 
20170130_141939.jpg 
Gotta include one of my co-driver!

20170130_142008.jpg 

Salt Peter

Do you have pics of the snow up on Steel Pass? Not that I'll be traveling that way anytime soon but just curious what it looks like. Beautiful country up there.
Jeffherb

As of 1-28 steel pass was smooth.  The end of the wash, before the marble tub, was much smoother than last time I did it.  There was some snow on the top before the staircase. I had no issues in a stock first gen tacoma.

cowboy roscue

Crossed Steele on Saturday, 1/14/17.  Road was in average shape, but the rock staircases seemed deeper and steeper than in my memory (am I getting soft?).  It was a challenge to get my full sized dodge through some of them, but we did without a scratch.

Frame-18-01-2017-08-03-31.jpg  Frame-18-01-2017-08-04-06.jpg 

Kevin Mokracek

Drove over Steele Pass less than a month ago and right after a bit of snow and rain.
I had driven out the same way a month before that and nothing much had changed.   Expect some minor route finding for the first few miles above the springs as the wash can trick those not paying attention and lead you up a dead end.   If it starts to get really tricky and you don't see tire tracks or an obvious route turn around and look for the path most travelled.  The crux is about a mile below the pass and is a rock garden that would be tough to navigate in a long wheelbase truck.   I have a 4 door Jeep Rubicon and it was a breeze with the diff locks in that section, it's doable without lockers but just expect your wheels to spin a bit, go slow and gear low and you will be fine.   The only other crux is the steps in Dedeckera Canyon before the dunes.   Same thing, slow and gear low and you will be fine.  A word of caution in this section is if you have a shell or camper you may hit the wall if you don't pick your line right.

Borrisl

Drove the pass N to S on 12/30. Easily passable, no extreme problems. some technical skills required for Dedeckera canyon but nothing extra ordinary. 

chrishaynesusa

took 9 rigs over Steel Pass Soth to North over the Veterans day weekend.

nice and clear no obstacles of note.

Randy

Nice!
BigDaddyJEH

There are a couple of areas that you need to be careful going around some washed out sections, but not difficult.  Also, there are two section that have some big holes from people spinning tires on.  The bottom to Saline Road is rocky and the washes can change and be a little tricky.  Overall, not difficult for "Well prepared rigs"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!