Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Sam D.

I am going to check with the camp host on my next visit if the park allows such signs.
Salt Peter

Sam those are a great idea.
You would think an off-road club would understand slowing down.
Sam D.

As a sign enthusiast, I think we should buy and install 3-4 of these along the road. Otherwise, it's a Dakar rally for many.

http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/no-dust-road-signs
Major Tom

I am amazed at the number of jeep club (or contracted) caravans that barrel in and out of Steele Pass anymore. It would be really great if these trains of 4WDs would practice a bit of consideration and respect and slow down as they drive through the populated camps of the warm springs.
fheiser

Hooray for the Zukes! Us Suzuki owners got to stick together.
chuckwalla

Drove Steele Pass on Wednesday, Mar 15 from Eureka Dunes. Nice challenge for a first-timer. Slow and careful. Three hours to Palm Spring. Beautiful scenery.
Stock 2017 Tacoma offroad.
Chuck
dautremont

I went from Eureka dunes to Saline springs last weekend.  The pass was in standard condition with excellent tracks, easy to follow.  Dedeckera not too bad, about average. Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2" lift, 31" tires, rear locker.  Beautiful drive!  About two hours from the dunes to the uppermost springs.
TopoDcat

I spent five hours and forty five minutes driving between palm spring and eureka dune, on thursday 3/09/17, route in good condition, plenty of gravel and cobbles and a few sharp rocks. I always enjoy the drive up the alluvial fan and take my time doing it.
SilverBob

I also exited the valley via Steele Pass on the 21st.  I left Palm Springs at 11:00 am in my '94 Land Cruiser towing my teardrop trailer.  I had no issues, but there were a couple tricky spots where the trail was re-routed by the last big flood.  Longer or wider vehicles might have some issues snaking between the boulders without sheet-metal contact.  There was no snow, fallen rocks, or stuck campers to deal with, and I was able to carefully straddle most of the mud holes in the Eureka Valley. 

As for the steps, I don't see any need for any more rock stacking.  It's all about picking the good line and going slow and smooth.  If you're gonna stack any more rocks, you might as well concrete the whole thing and drive Camrys in that way.

I left at 11:00 and was in Bishop at 4:00 pm. 
Road Gypsy

Steel Pass 02-21-2017 clear, technical driving up mountain above wash, staircase needs to be built up a little in spots, ripped reciever electrical out of hitch assembly down one of the rock stairs, bent hitch assembly. Nissan X-Terra Off Road 4×4

Any updates on Steele? 
Jeepnik

Beautiful pictures of snow on the pass!
Salt Peter

Great pics and great rig, thanks for sharing.
phodges

Just drove in and out the Steel.  Only a few parties at the Springs, a rear wheel drive van and a subaru had come in Lipincott and were headed back out that way. 

20170129_135516.jpg 
20170129_135625.jpg 
20170130_141939.jpg 
Gotta include one of my co-driver!

20170130_142008.jpg 

Salt Peter

Do you have pics of the snow up on Steel Pass? Not that I'll be traveling that way anytime soon but just curious what it looks like. Beautiful country up there.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!