Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
johnh

Finally drove Steel Pass and Dedeckera Canyon last Thursday, 10/25. My first time so I can't compare to the past. Everything seemed pretty reasonable. The long road rom the pass to the Springs is pretty rough, lots of medium to large rocks everywhere, very bumpy and not at all good for making happy passengers. But not hard to drive. We did an excellent job of redistributing the piles of gravel on that road!

My first time up the steps, and if I hadn't read so much and seen so many videos, I would have taken one look and turned around! The last one especially looks flat out impossible. But in fact my FJ went up all of them without making the slightest fuss. (33" LT tires, no lift, full underbody protection). I did scrape rocks a few times, but no harm done.
dautremont

I went in Steel pass Saturday morning - the road is in standard condition, no surprises.  I came out Sunday on South Pass - the road in the flatter part of the valley is getting rough, with many shallow gullies crossing it, causing very slow driving and bouncing.   The spring road is in average condition.  Windy, about 80F high temp, with about 10 minutes of 1/2" hail at 4pm, completely covering the ground at the palm spring, and melting in 10 - 15 minutes.
dautremont

I did Steele from the dunes to the springs in late July - the road was in standard condition and very clear - need to get up the four steps in Dedeckera Cyn as usual, and then just rough road down from the pass the first few miles.  You might not be able to get into or out of Eureka Valley though, due to all the washouts on Death Valley road and Eureka Valley road.  Check the NPS  facebook road conditions site for the latest updates...
n8450s

OK, after years of hearing stories of the infamous Miller's Towing of Lone Pine I have my own to tell. Folks at the springs last week may have seen John Miller drive through and up Steele Pass on Wednesday 5/16. He was going up to recover my off-road trailer that had broken an axle one mile south of the top of the pass. This is the same trailer that broke an axle in Striped Butte Valley 4 years ago. OK so maybe I have now learned my lesson... I have certainly paid for the lesson!  John Miller quoted me $3000 to go get the trailer.  He also warned it could cost much more depending on how long it took (he charges by the mile and time, different rate for on-road and off).  It took him 15 hours to get the trailer and he lost a tire and a rim on his fancy flatbed along the way.  Final cost: $4685. Plus repairs and parts and $219 to FedEx in the parts overnight. OUCH.  But I had no choice, I had to get to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo to teach (no, I don't teach risk assessment or "Making a good choice of roads to take").

Best part of the experience? Getting to hear a bunch of stories from John about crazy things he's had to rescue in the valley over the years... I guess I'm one of his stories now too.
Steele.jpg 

hughman

Mid February up Dedeckera was fine. Steel pass was long and laborious but sweet. Saw a Vanagon at steel pass pretty amazing. If the source can be trusted a ranger wrote a ticket to a fella in a taco that was off the main road. I can't substantiate this as it's a second hand account now 3rd.

Back out there next week for some r&r.

~hugh
joe

Trailrider

Went north on Steel pass Wednesday, there was a noticeable change since New Year, actually a little easier. Dedeckera Canyon was in good condition, the rock falls are no more difficult than before. I used my driver side slider to get down the middle fall. There are A LOT of playa/silt/mud holes coming around Eureka dunes between the camp and Dedeckera so be mindful if there is rain or sand storm.

I went down the 'Steps' a few weeks ago, the final step (going down) or the first step (going up) is the only place you my have an issue.  There is an odd angle and a little bit of an over hang that could damage your shell.  It is also very steep.  Generally, people stack a bunch of rocks at the end of the concrete.  You may need to do that depending on your clearance.  

It is a beautiful drive and over all very easy.  The 'Steps' are only 50' long.  I had to pull my friend Xterra over it once, LOL.  

VegasNaturist

We came out through Steel late October in our Rubicon without issue, well except getting blown up...

dautremont

I did Steele Pass from Eureka Valley to Saline Valley 3 weeks ago with no trouble.  If you can make it in through Dedeckera Canyon steps, then the rest should be fine.
TopoDcat

i drove out 10.13.17 with good clean road the whole way to eureka. some sections seemed like well manicured gravel. otherwise the route was plainly well traveled and unambiguous from the spring up. not at all like several routes ago when i got lost in the wash spending hours trying to relocate the recently erased track

Salt Peter

I did Steele Pass around Halloween and with my lightly modded Tacoma and camper the pass wasn't a big issue but the steps/falls in Dedeckera Canyon were far more challenging than approximately four years ago. I had to stack rocks for each step/fall. There was a big group of rigs that went out and back so I'd guess they'd unstacked a lot to make it more fun for them.

Sounds like you know what you're doing so you shouldn't have issue.
SilverBob

I saw at least a dozen vehicles going in and out Steele Pass over Halloween. Nobody reported having any problems.

Be prepared, don't go alone. You'll be fine.
dautremont

I went from Eureka dunes to Saline springs last weekend.  The pass was in standard condition with excellent tracks, easy to follow.  Dedeckera not too bad, about average. Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2" lift, 31" tires, rear locker.  Beautiful drive!  About two hours from the dunes to the uppermost springs.
TopoDcat

I spent five hours and forty five minutes driving between palm spring and eureka dune, on thursday 3/09/17, route in good condition, plenty of gravel and cobbles and a few sharp rocks. I always enjoy the drive up the alluvial fan and take my time doing it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution