Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 6      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Mr.T

+1 on that rain!
James Sel

Let it rain!
SilverBob

We left the Springs this morning with 2 vehicles, our Land Cruiser and Mark and Debbie's Jeep JK, each towing a teardrop trailer.  We had no trouble whatsoever getting through.  There have obviously been a LOT of vehicles over that trail since I last drove it in early 2017.  The road is easy to follow all the way through Dedeckera Canyon.  Neither Mark nor I even had to stop and look at the steps.  They've been so heavily stacked that we just drove down them without even needing to pick a line.  A well-prepped Subaru like the one we saw camped at Palm Springs should be able to make it through easily.  We passed 8 other vehicles coming in.  Aside from one nicely set-up Toyota Tacoma, the others were all mostly stock 4WD SUVs. There is no "special equipment" needed.

The worst part of the trip was the road between the mouth of Dedeckera Canyon and the Eureka Dune.  The silt was very deep and the ruts could easily trap your wheels in them, making it very difficult to change lines once you started in.  I would definitely NOT recommend this road to anyone without high clearance and 4WD.  

Steele Pass is a beautiful drive with spectacular scenery.  If you and your vehicle are capable, it's not likely to get any easier than it is right now.  Do it before the next thunderstorm makes it fun again!
Sparky of SoCal

Good job. Things look the same as they did last fall.
johnh

I put together the video of our journey through the steps. Not sure how to embed, but here's a link:

dautremont

I have seen larger groups of vehicles, from 10 -20, heading from the springs up through steel pass, in the spring and in the fall, maybe 4-5 times per year, the past few years.  Seems like enough traffic to keep the tracks clear and refreshed most of the time, except immediately after a heavy rain.  
johnh

A different question... anyone have any idea of how much traffic goes through the canyon and pass these days? "The" DV trail book says "until 1994, the pass probably saw less than a dozen vehicles a year". But when we did it, we passed a convoy of 4 going the other way. And there were plenty of fresh traces at the Eureka Valley end, following the recent rain. So I guess now the number is a lot higher.
slash2

I was through there a couple of weeks ago and saw tracks and droppings in the canyon with the petroglyphs just before the summit. Now I don't know the difference between big horn sheep tracks and droppings and deer tracks and droppings so you can take my info however you like, but I can assure you they were not donkey [smile]

... to help keep the topic relevant, the road was typical Steel Pass, as described in the earlier post.

/2
paul belanger

Are the big horn sheep returning to Steel pass? That will be very picturesque and lovely.
James Sel

Heeps = sheeps
johnh

Ummm... some confusion here, I didn't stack any rocks. I was surprised at how easy it was to pick a path through the steps. Basically eliminate everything which is obviously not going to work, and drive what you're left with. On the last step I squeezed between the two big rocks, just!

I do have video but I'm not very experienced in editing video, and also the quality isn't great, partly due to the strong sunlight and shadow, and partly thanks to a bug which splatted itself directly in front of the camera on the drive down, which I didn't spot. I'll see if I can figure out how to edit and post it.
Salt Peter

Heeps=Jeeps

Don't unstack the ramps. If they're in place just leave em be. It truly sucks to have to do a lot of work when solo. It's fine with a large group but I didn't enjoy it when trying to make the sunset in Eureka Valley.
hughman

What the heck does Heeps stand for? Sheep? And John trail build away Brother.
SilverBob

Don't worry, I'll "unstack" it next time I drive through in my LandCruiser.  I'd hate for everyone else to miss out on the fun of making it through on their own.
Sparky of SoCal

John,John,John. Never,never,never let the Heeps see you stacking rocks on a mapped road let alone document it for all eternity. They thrive on that kind of thing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution