Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
hughman

This was my first time down Steel Pass the road follows a wash, there were a ton of false or alternative roads. It was kinda confusing. The source told me the Ranger told the guy never to come back. I think this was embellishment.
Salt Peter

I bet I know where the person was that got the citation. An old road that has been closed for a long time.
hughman

Mid February up Dedeckera was fine. Steel pass was long and laborious but sweet. Saw a Vanagon at steel pass pretty amazing. If the source can be trusted a ranger wrote a ticket to a fella in a taco that was off the main road. I can't substantiate this as it's a second hand account now 3rd.

Back out there next week for some r&r.

~hugh
Kevin Mokracek

It may have been mentioned somewhere else in this thread but in the 80's you could drive a car through there with no problem.   I think a miner brought in dump truck loads of gravel and filled in all the fun parts so he could get to his claim easier.   Not too many years later a storm washed it back to the state it is in now.

Attached Images
jpeg december 2003 desert trip 003.jpg (510.70 KB, 12 views)

joe

Johnh,

Yes, the videos and photos make Dedekera look more intimidating than it is. In my estimation, the deep sand on the road around Eureka Dunes required as much attention for a short distance ...

Joes49

fheiser

If that FJ can do it I know my zuke can do it.
johnh

Fantastic video! Thanks! Some of the steps look a bit challenging but having seen you do it in your FJ, makes me confident I can do it in mine too.
joe

Hey, Salt Peter ...

Yeah, I had camped at Eureka Dunes and was at the first staircase by 7:00. March, 2013. Not too smart soloing through there, but you know how that wanderlust urge compels us.
Heading back out to SV mid April. Will camp at Eureka once again, but this time, back out and in via north pass. IDK. Steele is such an adventure !
Salt Peter

Cool video. Makes it look all too easy.
Did you camp out at Eureka? Looks like you're at Dedeckera very early in the day.
joe

Trailrider

Went north on Steel pass Wednesday, there was a noticeable change since New Year, actually a little easier. Dedeckera Canyon was in good condition, the rock falls are no more difficult than before. I used my driver side slider to get down the middle fall. There are A LOT of playa/silt/mud holes coming around Eureka dunes between the camp and Dedeckera so be mindful if there is rain or sand storm.

I went down the 'Steps' a few weeks ago, the final step (going down) or the first step (going up) is the only place you my have an issue.  There is an odd angle and a little bit of an over hang that could damage your shell.  It is also very steep.  Generally, people stack a bunch of rocks at the end of the concrete.  You may need to do that depending on your clearance.  

It is a beautiful drive and over all very easy.  The 'Steps' are only 50' long.  I had to pull my friend Xterra over it once, LOL.  

slash2

This was two years ago but maybe it will help for reference. I've since traded in the jeep for 2nd gen Tacoma with a pop up but I haven't ran Steel pass in it yet, I'm guessing the little bit wider wheel base would be the only issue.

Post some pics if you do it!

IMG_2291.jpg 
/2

VegasNaturist

We came out through Steel late October in our Rubicon without issue, well except getting blown up...

dautremont

I did Steele Pass from Eureka Valley to Saline Valley 3 weeks ago with no trouble.  If you can make it in through Dedeckera Canyon steps, then the rest should be fine.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!