Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Terawanderer

Piston point failed because you don't  do this directly on a very ancient petroglyph site......
SunMan

Somebody tried that with Piston Point, it didn’t last long. Once it is gone I hope the NPS mails them a juicy fine.
GATO

Drive Axle Pass
hughman

This city slicker agrees. Plus it would add tons of character.
GATO

Someone should mount it in the ground and make a sign out of it. Kinda like a warning to city slicker drivers. Rough road ahead! Similar to crankshaft junction.
hughman

@workshop76 👍 This is what community is all about. You rock!
workshop76
We are headed in the last week of February. 4x4 Toyota t100. If the axle is still there I'll see if we can load it up and take it out.
fheiser

Yeah. If you want to complain to someone, NPS would be the place. Nobody here can do anything about it at this point except maybe pick it up on their way through.

When I am camping on foot, I pick up the trash I see. I wish people would treat the wilderness better. Getting angry over someone else's misbehavior ruins my own experience and has no affect on the person I'm angry at.

Personally I think they should put up a sign at the trailhead saying CAUTION! DRIVE CAREFULLY with the broken axle hanging from it.
Sparky of SoCal

This a social media and not a college campus or some snowflake safe space where facts need to be sugar coated or ignored. Sorry to hurt the feelings of some guys who left trash laying right where they wanted to. I'm not making anything up or planting evidence. Pictures are there. They broke the law. Why are some folks making excuses for them? When are they going to be held responsible for their actions? What do they have to do to be held responsible for leaving the evidence and trash? Do you need see pictures of them beating a little puppy or donkey with the trash. Maybe a pool of oil on a flower would wake some up that those guys f@cked and that's what the pictures show. This has got to be cut and dry as James is on board with it. We seldom agree on anything!
ford

Not making excuses for leaving trash of any kind, just saying haul it out yourself instead of leaving it there. You expect too much from mankind if you think they will keep it clean, ban the straws[rolleyes]
bikerjosh

My first thought, was maybe they were just so tired they forgot it?
Second was they were chatting about how awesome but overdeveloped ‘crankshaft junction’ is and wanted to create ‘axle incline or pass or whatever’
Third they are just ass hats who have a broken down car on blocks in their front yard, and didn’t give a second thought to leaving an axle there.
Yep it is a progression. -Josh
paul belanger

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. If some dumbass breaks his rig down there and has no wherewithal, cash, or anyting to get it out of there? That I can see. That's what the government's for, to go get it out of there at that point. But when someone has the wherewithal to go get an axle, come back, change it out in the field, and drive the rig home? That type of person needs to be responsible for their actions. And haul the damned axle out of there the same way you hauled the new one in. I can't believe anyone's making excuses for this.
ford

I agree with hughman, if you were close enough to take pictures of the license plate, you should have had a conversation with the people repairing the vehicle, did you offer to help, share knowledge or just click pics and drive on? What is so hard about helping in the back country instead of getting uppity on the internet after the fact? If I had a rig capable of making the trip to the "axle" I would gladly haul it home and turn it into yard art, instead of knowing I drove by it without bringing it with me, regardless who left it behind. I doubt many of you could repair a vehicle damaged this bad, I am happy that these people were able to repair it, instead of abandoning it where it broke down. 

I help when I can, extra food, water, gas, loan tools, first aid, it's a long way to the highway!

Axle or just trash it all needs hauled out, gitrdun! 
hughman

I think leaving the axle was inappropriate but the majority of profane comments in response doesn't make anything better in my humble opinion. Will there be people who do the wrong things? An emphatic yes. It is the human condition and won't change on this plane of existence. 

The notion of the few ruining it for the many is a valid concern. But doing a solid for those fellas who clearly had a big chore just getting their rig out...I'm hoping to make a trip out sometime in April and would be willing to haul it out on my roof rack. The idea of a mission out to Saline beyond a soak is appealing in of itself. If that's not quick enough maybe someone locally can? 

My .02

Love & Light,

hughman 
James Sel

I wonder if the same folks that want to see more of this on social media are the same people that keep bashing it and don't have accounts for the media outlets they are thinking of. Ohhhoh, the irony!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution