Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
Romy

@bb The STI Outback is a lot of fun.  Just a mild lift so I don't kill CVs often.  Don't see a point in drivetrain drops when I can't clear more than a ~28" tire (which is what I run).  I bent a strut on the pony express trail in a remote part of eastern NV; didn't even see the rock and looking at it after, had to wonder how it happened.  Second strut was lost when I slammed a berm on a dry lake.  That was just me being dumb with boost.

Back on topic, I plan to go through over TG week.  But in the 4runner 😉
hughman

@bikerjosh, I agree springs to dunes is the eaiser way which is the direction the vangon was headed.

@bb I have a 05 4runner 3"lift with at the time 33's and bent my steering knuckle on Mengal pass. In all honesty It was my fault I hit a boulder just before Barker Ranch. Since, have rebuilt the entire front end with guessed knuckles but the point is even a fairly well built rig will sustain damage especially when a knuckle head is at the wheel.
bb

Entirely agree with you. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with a Subaru to go through Steel given the remoteness and potential for stuff to happen. I've bent a strut out on Malpais Mesa/Lee Flat so I'm familiar with that problem, but was also being dumb in that moment so I was much more thoughtful over Steel. Made a few scouting runs (to the base of the canyon from Eureka and went above the springs for 10-12 miles) before running the whole thing with a buddy in a Land Rover who'd done it before. Love the subaru's general capability and mileage, but am saving for a real 4x4 truck at the same time because I do realize I'm pushing it a bit beyond their intended use. Sounds like a real nice Outback you've got there, don't know that I've heard of an STI swapped & lifted outback before. 
Romy

Well crap, I wasn't logged in I guess.  The above post (#54) is mine...
Anonymous
My 2 cents:

I have no doubts a Subie could make it.  A few years ago I had only one vehicle capable of getting me, my wife, our two dogs, and our camping stuff into/out of Saline, which was/is our lifted/STI swapped/ATs/skids 02 Outback (we have a Baja Bug too, but not so much room for stuff).  We always went in/out on North Pass or South Pass.  We took it up to Marble bath a few times, but never bothered going through Dedeckera Canyon since we were usually alone and recovery would have been difficult.  We've done quite a few rough roads in it throughout the west, and it does great, but it's not a 4x4 truck (as two bent struts will belie).  Now we have a 2nd gen 4runner, which has no trouble at all with Dedeckera.  I go up or down in 2 high and don't think too much about what line to take.  While I don't doubt a Subie could make it through, it is just way more nerve racking than taking a legit 4x4 truck through.  On the rough stuff, I never worry that I'll bust the 4runner but I always worry that I'll damage the Subaru.

And also, it largely is the skill of the driver, not the capability of the vehicle, that will get you through.
bb

I've got friends who've been running in for years in their long-travel, lifted forester and came from Eureka to Saline the day before I went the opposite way. If you've got a two inch lift, skid plates, all terrain tires, and a full sized spare, that vehicle is capable of making it through, BUT only if you know what you're doing. There's high potential for stuff to go wrong out there if not and even if you're careful, you've got to remember how expensive it would be for Millers to come get you. Second vehicles should be pretty much mandatory given the remoteness and spotting thru the tough stuff is definitely recommended the first time. 

Edited to better recognize that it's not recommended for subaru's 
bikerjosh

Conditions can change pretty dramatically from year to year based on amount of rain fall or travelers stacking rocks up at the steps . Been through there some years when conditions required spotting in 4wd rigs and others where you simply roll up the steps. Also depends on which way you go through the canyon, hot springs to the dunes is always easier than the opposite way.
hughman

I don't see the big deal. Saw a VW vanagon do Steel Pass.
D.A. Wright

I am impressed that a Forester made it.

First time over the whole thing this weekend and we found good conditions. The silt beds that were so deep by Eureka this spring were hardpacked ruts this weekend, didn't expect that. There were maybe 1 or 2 places in the wash that weren't super clear, but we didn't have any trouble distinguishing the real road. Beautiful country back up there.  Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.22.37 PM.png  Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.22.47 PM.png 
dautremont

Went in Steele Pass September 16, very good condition all the way through.  Could us a little more traffic down the alluvial fan from the pass to the springs to help define the tracks better - often very indistinct in a lot of areas.  
dautremont

Went in Steele Pass Saturday June 22, very good condition all the way through.  Some of the trail was washed out down the alluvial fan, through some of the gravelly washes.  The road needs a little traffic to re establish it and make it more obvious.  No difficulty following the general road path, though.
dautremont

Went in Steele Pass Last Sunday afternoon, light rain all the way but no puddling.  Road in excellent shape around dunes, east through Dedeckera Cyn., and easy down to the springs.  Stopped raining as I went down into Saline Valley, around 8pm.
Romy

Went through the first weekend in May.  The road's fine (especially for a mountain bike) but the bloom may be ending by now.  It's sandy, loose, and rutted on the back of Eureka dunes and a bit loose in spots coming up/down in Saline.  From the perspective coming out of Saline, it's a pretty steady upward climb out of Saline with mild ups/downs after marble bath and a pretty steady descent down to Eureka.  Should be a good ride given the weather report this weekend.  Have fun!
GATO

Went down Lippencott pass to the Springs, thru Steel Pass to Eureka Dunes. Both Lippencott and Steel Pass in usual shape except for lighter than normal sand near the dunes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution