Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 6      1   2   3   4   Next   »
dautremont

I did Steele Pass from Eureka Valley to Saline Valley 3 weeks ago with no trouble.  If you can make it in through Dedeckera Canyon steps, then the rest should be fine.
TopoDcat

i drove out 10.13.17 with good clean road the whole way to eureka. some sections seemed like well manicured gravel. otherwise the route was plainly well traveled and unambiguous from the spring up. not at all like several routes ago when i got lost in the wash spending hours trying to relocate the recently erased track

DVExile

Yeah from seeing reports on Steele Pass from some other forums it is really clear that some group recently removed all the stacked rocks that were at the falls.  Other than that reports have been that the rest of the route is in standard condition.
Salt Peter

I did Steele Pass around Halloween and with my lightly modded Tacoma and camper the pass wasn't a big issue but the steps/falls in Dedeckera Canyon were far more challenging than approximately four years ago. I had to stack rocks for each step/fall. There was a big group of rigs that went out and back so I'd guess they'd unstacked a lot to make it more fun for them.

Sounds like you know what you're doing so you shouldn't have issue.
iathon
Thanks Bob. unfortunately were only taking one rig... on the bright side its a 2015 tacoma trd offroad with locker and there will be 4 of us including my friend who is a master mechanic. I also bring a walkout pack incase anything ever hit the fan... also 2 extra spares and a plug kit, compressor, extra water.... I think well be fine Well be coming in to saline from steele

-Hans
SilverBob

I saw at least a dozen vehicles going in and out Steele Pass over Halloween. Nobody reported having any problems.

Be prepared, don't go alone. You'll be fine.
iathon
Has anyone done steele recently?
dautremont

fheiser - I will be going in Steel Pass Friday afternoon, spending the weekend at the middle (palm) spring.  Look for my white Grand Vitara if you are there...
dautremont

Assuming you have 4wd, AT or MT tires, then you should be OK.
Try from Eureka Dunes to Saline Valley first.  If you make it over the steps in Dedeckera (you probably will do just fine) then clear sailing the rest of the way.  Clearance is the main issue.  I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara with 2in. lift, 4wd, 215/85r16 MT tires, and rear locker, and never had clearance difficulty.  
Happy traveling!
Mr.T

Quote:
I have a 2 door Sidekick, 2 inch lift plus 235 AT tires. Is this a viable route? I am skinny and have a short wheelbase.

I'd guess that it has enough clearance for normal conditions and average off-road experience.
fheiser

I have a 2 door Sidekick, 2 inch lift plus 235 AT tires. Is this a viable route? I am skinny and have a short wheelbase.

James Sel

Not very many drivers haul-ass on Steel Pass.
Mr.T

It's such basic common sense to drive slow and not dust-up people near a dirt road.  Common courtesy just isn't as common as it used to be...
Sam D.

I agree that the jerks will ignore. The signs are for normal decent people and/or first timers who may not be aware.
Dusty.rambler

Just my 2 cents.... signs like these don't help. The considerate people will already drive slow and the jerks who don't care will ignore the signs. I would not like to see any extra signs at or near the springs. Just my opinion.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!