Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
dautremont

fheiser - I will be going in Steel Pass Friday afternoon, spending the weekend at the middle (palm) spring.  Look for my white Grand Vitara if you are there...
dautremont

Assuming you have 4wd, AT or MT tires, then you should be OK.
Try from Eureka Dunes to Saline Valley first.  If you make it over the steps in Dedeckera (you probably will do just fine) then clear sailing the rest of the way.  Clearance is the main issue.  I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara with 2in. lift, 4wd, 215/85r16 MT tires, and rear locker, and never had clearance difficulty.  
Happy traveling!
Mr.T

Quote:
I have a 2 door Sidekick, 2 inch lift plus 235 AT tires. Is this a viable route? I am skinny and have a short wheelbase.

I'd guess that it has enough clearance for normal conditions and average off-road experience.
fheiser

I have a 2 door Sidekick, 2 inch lift plus 235 AT tires. Is this a viable route? I am skinny and have a short wheelbase.

James Sel

Not very many drivers haul-ass on Steel Pass.
Mr.T

It's such basic common sense to drive slow and not dust-up people near a dirt road.  Common courtesy just isn't as common as it used to be...
Sam D.

I agree that the jerks will ignore. The signs are for normal decent people and/or first timers who may not be aware.
Dusty.rambler

Just my 2 cents.... signs like these don't help. The considerate people will already drive slow and the jerks who don't care will ignore the signs. I would not like to see any extra signs at or near the springs. Just my opinion.
Sam D.

I am going to check with the camp host on my next visit if the park allows such signs.
Salt Peter

Sam those are a great idea.
You would think an off-road club would understand slowing down.
Sam D.

As a sign enthusiast, I think we should buy and install 3-4 of these along the road. Otherwise, it's a Dakar rally for many.

http://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/no-dust-road-signs
Major Tom

I am amazed at the number of jeep club (or contracted) caravans that barrel in and out of Steele Pass anymore. It would be really great if these trains of 4WDs would practice a bit of consideration and respect and slow down as they drive through the populated camps of the warm springs.
fheiser

Hooray for the Zukes! Us Suzuki owners got to stick together.
chuckwalla

Drove Steele Pass on Wednesday, Mar 15 from Eureka Dunes. Nice challenge for a first-timer. Slow and careful. Three hours to Palm Spring. Beautiful scenery.
Stock 2017 Tacoma offroad.
Chuck
dautremont

I went from Eureka dunes to Saline springs last weekend.  The pass was in standard condition with excellent tracks, easy to follow.  Dedeckera not too bad, about average. Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2" lift, 31" tires, rear locker.  Beautiful drive!  About two hours from the dunes to the uppermost springs.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!