Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
dautremont

Went in Steele Pass Saturday June 22, very good condition all the way through.  Some of the trail was washed out down the alluvial fan, through some of the gravelly washes.  The road needs a little traffic to re establish it and make it more obvious.  No difficulty following the general road path, though.
dautremont

Went in Steele Pass Last Sunday afternoon, light rain all the way but no puddling.  Road in excellent shape around dunes, east through Dedeckera Cyn., and easy down to the springs.  Stopped raining as I went down into Saline Valley, around 8pm.
Romy

Went through the first weekend in May.  The road's fine (especially for a mountain bike) but the bloom may be ending by now.  It's sandy, loose, and rutted on the back of Eureka dunes and a bit loose in spots coming up/down in Saline.  From the perspective coming out of Saline, it's a pretty steady upward climb out of Saline with mild ups/downs after marble bath and a pretty steady descent down to Eureka.  Should be a good ride given the weather report this weekend.  Have fun!
GATO

Went down Lippencott pass to the Springs, thru Steel Pass to Eureka Dunes. Both Lippencott and Steel Pass in usual shape except for lighter than normal sand near the dunes.
MadMax

Went through SP 03/16, dunes to springs. High clearance 4wd required, but the waterfall was in good shape with well placed rocks already there. We got my friend's stock Tacoma (double cab, long bed, no lockers) through without any issues. 

[thumb]
dautremont

Went in Steel pass March 17 - great road conditions, minimal difficulties, light sand around the dunes, the road is improving nicely with minimal rain and steady traffic.  Still need 4x4, high clearance, and some careful driving, but very fun and scenic.
Romy

My wife and I went in/out Steele over P-day and the axle gave us pause.  There was no way for us to get it out though so I'm glad someone picked it up.

Last time I was through Steele, the road down from Marble Bath was a lot better, as was the back side of the Eureka dunes.  That was probably about 4 years ago.  Both have sure degraded since.
Salt Peter

Removed but not by those who left it. There are two very nice trailer fenders to be had by anyone who decides to go get them.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/death-valley-off-road-adventures.60777/page-148#post-19944260
TopoF2

..saw photo of the axle placed in the bed of a Tacoma. 
SilverBob

I spoke with a DV Ranger about the axle.  She told me that the folks who left it had already contacted the NPS to let them know that they were planning to come back and remove it.  I don't know the exact time frame, but it sounds like they had a legit reason for ditching it and plan on doing the right thing.

I guess I have to put my pitchfork away and extinguish my torch. [cool]
workshop76
We are headed in the last week of February. 4x4 Toyota t100. If the axle is still there I'll see if we can load it up and take it out.
Bandana

Came over Steel Pass from Eureka on Friday 12/28. Pass is in great shape with the exception of the Tahoe sitting in the middle of the steps with a busted axle. I met the party with the troubles on their way out to Eureka to circle back over to the springs where they're camped. Thankfully they were able to move the Tahoe off to the side so it's passable to others. Good luck to those guys, last  I heard they were heading to Ridgecrest to find a replacement axle. 

Aside from the steps, everything was free and clear. Cruised most of the road from the steps to the pass in 2H and had the usually bumpy rock garden to manage down to the springs after Steel pass.

Happy trails!
SilverBob

We left the Springs this morning with 2 vehicles, our Land Cruiser and Mark and Debbie's Jeep JK, each towing a teardrop trailer.  We had no trouble whatsoever getting through.  There have obviously been a LOT of vehicles over that trail since I last drove it in early 2017.  The road is easy to follow all the way through Dedeckera Canyon.  Neither Mark nor I even had to stop and look at the steps.  They've been so heavily stacked that we just drove down them without even needing to pick a line.  A well-prepped Subaru like the one we saw camped at Palm Springs should be able to make it through easily.  We passed 8 other vehicles coming in.  Aside from one nicely set-up Toyota Tacoma, the others were all mostly stock 4WD SUVs. There is no "special equipment" needed.

The worst part of the trip was the road between the mouth of Dedeckera Canyon and the Eureka Dune.  The silt was very deep and the ruts could easily trap your wheels in them, making it very difficult to change lines once you started in.  I would definitely NOT recommend this road to anyone without high clearance and 4WD.  

Steele Pass is a beautiful drive with spectacular scenery.  If you and your vehicle are capable, it's not likely to get any easier than it is right now.  Do it before the next thunderstorm makes it fun again!
johnh

I put together the video of our journey through the steps. Not sure how to embed, but here's a link:

slash2

I was through there a couple of weeks ago and saw tracks and droppings in the canyon with the petroglyphs just before the summit. Now I don't know the difference between big horn sheep tracks and droppings and deer tracks and droppings so you can take my info however you like, but I can assure you they were not donkey [smile]

... to help keep the topic relevant, the road was typical Steel Pass, as described in the earlier post.

/2
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution