Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
dautremont

I went in Steel pass Saturday morning - the road is in standard condition, no surprises.  I came out Sunday on South Pass - the road in the flatter part of the valley is getting rough, with many shallow gullies crossing it, causing very slow driving and bouncing.   The spring road is in average condition.  Windy, about 80F high temp, with about 10 minutes of 1/2" hail at 4pm, completely covering the ground at the palm spring, and melting in 10 - 15 minutes.
James Sel

...or a 32 yrs old Hilux at rapid speeds Zoom zoom zzmm  [eek]
D.A. Wright

Slow and steady 22-year old trucks are perfect! There are plenty of pristine, fast and luxurious trucks that seldom leave city freeways.

@Macfly sounds like you have a rig that's capable. As Silverbob said take your time and think it through. Last February I saw a VW Syncro Van at Steel Pass if that's any indication. Personally, I think really good tires are the key. And IMO your traveling in the easiest direction in terms of the ledges in Dedeckera Canyon.

I'm headed out there the second week in November traveling from the Eureka Dunes to Saline.

Have a great time.

~Hugh
Dpsmedic

Would be thankful if you post up the conditions after your trip. I am planning a trip through the second week of NOV and interested in how the storms impacted the route.
Macfly

Thank you, and absolutely, will do, and if you guys like I'll post pix too. I generally put all my car trips on my Instagram account, but happy to share them here.
SilverBob

I can't think of any reason not to do that trip.  It's one of my favorite trails in the Park. Take your time, think things through and you should be fine. 

By October there's usually plenty of people in the valley, just in case things go sideways for you.

Have fun and don't forget to report your findings here for others. [thumb]
Macfly

I’m thinking of running the whole valley from the south, to the springs, taking Steel to Eureka and heading on out to the north and on up to Mono Lake.

Planning early Oct, in a slow but steady 22 year old truck, lifted, sorted and in good condition, is there any reason not to do that route?
slash2

Does anyone have any info on Steele Pass since the storms this summer? I'm headed into the Valley mid October, possibly over Steele Pass, and would like to get an update on the conditions before I commit.

Thanks in advance.

/2
Dpsmedic

Thanks!
dautremont

Before...
Dpsmedic

Did you come in after the recent big storms or before?
dautremont

I did Steele from the dunes to the springs in late July - the road was in standard condition and very clear - need to get up the four steps in Dedeckera Cyn as usual, and then just rough road down from the pass the first few miles.  You might not be able to get into or out of Eureka Valley though, due to all the washouts on Death Valley road and Eureka Valley road.  Check the NPS  facebook road conditions site for the latest updates...
Dpsmedic

Looking for current road report conditions. Anyone travel to the springs from the dunes over Steele Pass lately? I have cross posted on the Death Valley National Parks Backcountry Road Conditions Facebook page as well.
D.A. Wright

The game of could of, should of, would of is free. Being there stuck in the situation is what costs. And with little choice in where the money goes. I’m retired. If I still lived in Big Pine and was in that situation, like mentioned before, I would have dismantled and hauled it out.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution