Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
florida

I provided a Stihl chain saw pole pruner to the upper springs to trim the palms. If someone who is experienced in using these saws wants to use it at the lower springs, please message me so we can arrange a time to bring it back. I plan to bring it back next December to trim the upper springs again.
Sam D.

Latest Camp Needs list is here:

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/post/show_single_post?pid=1285261426&postcount=95
bread
If I were to come out there in the next couple of weeks, what would be some small things I could bring to restock the area? Stuff like shampoo or bleach or whatever.
D T

Way to be,Bob,Thanks
dirtgirl

Bob, Thanks for taking initiative on the picnic tables! If you don't have enough helping hands before Thanksgiving, I think you might want to wait until after to refinish and pain them. It might take some extra sanding from spills, but you would have more helping hands, including mine.

Whether or not you like Lizard Lee, to say he does nothing useful indicates you haven't been paying attention.
Sam D.

Same color paint that matches the existing red flavor is what I meant. This is just my personal opinion.
bobhuckaby

I don't see any negative replies to bringing in additional picnic tables, so I bought 2 and plan to bring them in Tuesday.
SamD told me that the existing red finish is preferred by the PS, and I found several pictures of the old tables in my files, so I am bringing that colour paint along -- it is one-coat latex so if done Wednesday should be good for thanksgiving dinner, including refinish the old tables and spruce up the library cabinet
==> bring your energy for a work party, I will supply materials (I refinished a wood boat years ago, killed several sanders, but have lots of sandpaper left)
I camp at lower springs with white Dodge truck and brown tent.
I am also bringing my famous BBQ turkey and dutch vegs for dinner.
Bob from Tahoe
timothy_sutherland

Good points Silver Bob, I agree with you. 
James Sel

Thanks for your point of view Ben.

And Un whatever.
SilverBob

No flames from me, either.  I respect the fact that you're willing to give your opinion and put your name behind it.  We could use more of that around here.

To your point,  nobody said that Lee is the "ideal" camp host.  He's been there long enough to make a few enemies and ruffle a lot of feathers, including mine a time or two.  That said, he's a hell of a lot better than a couple of the short term camp hosts that came before him, and who knows who the NPS will put in there when he leaves?  I'm willing to put up with his little idiosyncracies to ensure that the place will not be trashed, shot up, or tagged over the summer, like a lot of other beautiful remote places I've been to.  No one can deny his abilities to jury-rig broken vehicles to get visitors back to town, or his willingness to step up and settle the inevitable disputes that arise from time to time.  I've witnessed that, first hand.

I've known Lee for almost 25 years.  I still don't know if he "likes" me, but it doesn't matter.  I've always treated him with respect and I've always received the same in return.  I'm sorry you've had different results.
bmxmtbman

Fair Nuff. I don't let it detract from my time there. And don't really feel need to talk to Un either. 
florida

No need to flame. You are a responsible individual with an opinion that appears based on your experiences. The "Un" individual, by contrast, appears to be a coward with a grudge and a supply of phony names to post under. No one takes that kind of "poison pen" garbage seriously. If you look back at how often the complaints about LL come up, you will see that most are posted by Un using one of many pseudonyms. Un would certainly enjoy striking up a PM with you.
bmxmtbman

I've only been coming to the springs for 12 years... and only two or three times a year at that... but I also have yet to see Lee do anything particularly useful. He is generally pretty unfriendly (bordering on mean) to people other than a select group of "friends" and I have been kicked out of Crystal Pool, with my friends on more than 10 occasions, seemingly only so that Lee can soak. Although this sort of behavior is usually pretty common among government organizations, I would expect a little more from Saline. Lee's behavior is an anomaly there. I normally would not really care, and go soak at the Palm Springs, but since this seems to come up a bunch, and I am not getting any younger, I thought I would speak up. Flame away. 

-Ben
Unregistered 3.0
JS, go and do your homework and research if camp hosts are allowed to usurp and/or claim a pool for his own use during primetime, if camp hosts allowed to feed burros and not pick up the poo, if camp hosts allowed to be rude, if camp hosts are allowed to chill his pool with cold water and then crank the hot water up when he finishes soaking for other to scold? Then report back with proper documentation of the said duties and we'll discuss any short comings that need to be addressed. In my opinion LL is just a squatter who lives on public land free of charge. If LL is too old he either needs to lead or he should step down to give his spot to a younger more energetic person.

Here is a new rule:

Once LL refills the Crystal pool, he must walk around inviting everyone to soak.

A lot of people I conversed at the springs expressed similar views but they were afraid or unwilling to speak up. I commend Unnamed Horse about starting the dialogue. I am sure others will follow.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution