Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
Hi Desert Warrior

What worries me, at the board meeting the park director stated they would follow the law.  National Park law stated no nudity allowed in the park.  Would they make an exception at the springs?  I won't bet on it.

SilverBob

We've had women on the SPA Board before, and I'm sure we will in the future.  I know how hard it is to convince anyone to get involved in the political arena, so I'm grateful for everyone who steps up to the plate. 

That said, I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone who's interested in the future of the Springs to get involved in some way.  SPA has been begging for volunteers to help formulate a Management Plan for the Springs for years.  They'd be thrilled to get anyone to commit to doing something toward this end.  I don't think the demographics of the volunteers matter one bit.  What's important is that we (the user community) have a voice in the future of the Springs.

I personally know every one one of the the Board Members.  I'm quite certain that if someone came along who was qualified/motivated/capable of serving, there would be a place for him/her on the Board, regardless of that person's race, creed, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, hair color, height, weight, astrological sign, marital status, favorite animal, favorite sports team, etc.  (I freely admit that I could never support a Cleveland Browns fan as a Board Member, but that's just me.)

In closing, I think we have a group of dedicated, capable individuals representing our interests.  If the authorities want to discredit them because of who they are, I think we have bigger problems than we realize.

"America's strength is not our diversity; our strength is our ability to unite people of different backgrounds around common principles." -Ernest Istook

pugsly

Ah okay I misunderstood.  For me diversity = diverse opinions and perspectives.  For instance, let's get some of the Native Americans with very divergent opinions from SPA on the use of Saline together with us, reach agreement, and present that to the power's that be...

If we're just talking window dressing, and if SPA would be better served by having visibly different board membership (age / gender / race) then that's just marketing.  All that remains is to decide the ideal mix of Asians / African Americans / whites / males / females / etc.  What's the winning combination?

Personally I'd rather just have people that care / have passion, no matter what their gender, race, sexual orientation or economic strata.
James Sel

I don't have to explain that words can have more than one meaning, do I.
The photo of the meeting brought up a thought that Their are some women representing the park and none one the SPA board. Which means little to me. But what or how does the park management and PR see us. 
At the springs I interact with friends of both races, many cultures, ages and then some. All kinds of people like the SV and still have common SV interests I'm just asking would it make a differance to the people at the meeting  representing the park? It might not make an ounce of difference one way or another. The board members are great now, but what if we could enhance our representation.  

pugsly

Thanks for the update Tom, seems like it was a good meeting.

James - I'm wondering what you mean by 'diversity' with respect to SPA?  By definition it is a group of like minded individuals advocating a mutually agreed upon vision for future use of the resource.  Not sure how having members with diverse opinions would benefit us - there are other groups advocating other uses / paths that represent them.
James Sel

Diversity? Do we need more diversity on the board? Would it be helpful? I really appreciate the board members and think they are great but, I'm wondering what more diversity would bring to the table...........back to my IPA. 
Major Tom

On May 5, 2013, the SPA Board of Directors met via SKYPE to discuss an upcoming meeting with the new administration of the Death Valley National Park. On May 7, 2013, the SPA Board of Directors met with the Park's new Superintendent and her staff in Furnace Creek. Notes of both meetings may be found and reviewed on the SPA website at: http://www.salinepreservation.org/board.htm

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!