Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
timboeing

To all who care;
I am a SPA board member who also attended the meeting in Death Valley. And for anyone's information, I elected to pass on the reimbursement of gas money for the trip into Death Valley. It was a 10 hour drive round trip had my car not overheated on the way out. That in itself added a few more hours to my trip, plus a tow truck through AAA.
I am still actively employed, so I gave up a days wages to attend this meeting. This is my contribution to the Saline community. Some give money, some give up money and time, some give effort at the springs, it's all an individual experience based on what one can afford. All of us on the SPA Board of Directors have given up plenty to serve the best interest of the many. It is a thankless job, but our convictions and love for Saline speak volumes. We are not paid politicians but rather "like minded" individuals from different life paths with one goal in mind;, and that is providing a name, a face and a love to Saline Valley and interfacing with the Superintendent and others in order to insure that we can maintain this relationship for years to come.
pugsly

There's a difference between being compensated for something and having reasonable expenses reimbursed.  As someone who volunteers on boards, I can attest that this is a reasonable and customary practice with wide adoption and acceptance.  It is also publicly documented as a practice in this organization so shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

It's tough to find committed leadership for organizations like this.  These folks are already out of pocket for their time, they shouldn't have to go out of pocket for hard costs (fuel, etc) for fulfilling their volunteer duties.

As others have said, I doubt the muckraker has ever supported SPA but if he/she has the best thing to do would be make a clean break of things with them so that they don't feel taken advantage of.

trigger

Sam D I was thinking the same thing! Lol! Unregistered, Unregistered 2.0 and Unforgiven. Same person = Clown!!!
Ranger Ric

Silver Bob, If I can join you in this effort, please let me.
SilverBob

In the unlikely event that "Un Forgiven" accepts your offer, I pledge to reimburse SPA whatever amount you pay her. 
Major Tom

I have an offer to make you Un Forgiven. I respect your right to choose how your money is spent. You are apparently Un Happy. We keep records of all donations made to SPA. Let us know who you are, and how much you donated, and I will see you get a full refund. How about that?
Un Forgiven

Troll
I propose calling SPA board members "PAID VOLUNTEERS" if they insist on being compensated for travel and lodging.
I also insist that those who donate be informed on how the money gonna be spent. Just because people on this forum feel it's
appropriate to compensate the board members, would it be also appropriate to let people know in advance?
Who's going to argue against informing donors where and how their money spent?

Here's what happens when board members and or politicians are allowed to
name their own compensation:

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-legislative-leaders-sue-governor-over-pay-veto-193547199.html

paul belanger

I believe there is an accounting in the latest newsletter.

the rest of this is a waste of time
Ranger Ric

Here are my few thoughts.  Funds are sacred in a volunteer organization because we all love Saline Valley.  We all want to express want we think is best for the valley.  A question or two.  Is it possible to see an accounting of these funds?  I ask because I am a financial person and this way the process stays in the open.  I would very much enjoy seeing the results of these funds, that we contribute too, when I go to the valley or posted somewhere so we can know and have a good feeling about all the things being done to move the valley forward in time and this political space.  It would be exciting to know, as it was to read about the boards meeting with DVNP, what our group is accomplishing at Saline Valley.

More specifically to the topic, we camp when in the valley.  Seems this is part of us.  If we are on the road accomplishing business for the group, maybe this is an alternative.  Having been part of government in the past, government seems to be over inflated in their way of doing business.  Perhaps a modification of the .56 cent per mile can be considered or not.

Having board members receive reimbursement for travel is widely practiced.  Driving to a meeting in DV is no short drive, probably on their regular work day, and consumes an abundant amount of personal time.  A huge big THANKS to the people who serve the Saline Valley community.  

Sparky of SoCal

Do we have a way to verify how much he has donated.With his tone I have to think he is just blowing smoke.
Sam D.

Is this guy/gal a reincarnation of Unregistered ?
Ed_B

I have previously volunteered on Church Councils on a couple of different churches, in Northern and Southern California.  I have volunteered in various Boy Scout positions over the last 20+ years, from Den Chief (6 years), to Troop Committee Chairman (16-17 years), to Assistant Scoutmaster (17-18 years), to District Commissioner (2 years) Assistant District Commissioner (2 years) unit Commissioner (3 or 4 years) (the positions overlap).   I have volunteered at Mock Court proceedings at McGeorge School of Law, at Flying Clubs (3-4 years)  and currently at a Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue Team and as an instructor (year 2 begins). 

You know, all that volunteering gets very expensive.  When a person or group of people decide to coordinate their days to get a job accomplished they never, in my experience, see it as an opportunity to steal.  They see it as an opportunity to achieve a good result for a bunch of good folks.  This is the hallmark of what is the best of America.  These folks do not need to engage in an accounting nightmare.  The amounts involved are simply not that significant.

If a person chooses to not donate, then do not make a major production of it.  Your choice is your right.

Your decision to share your reasoning is your right.  You have shared.  Thank you.

Ed
James Sel

That's what I thought ☻

Un Forgiven

Troll
Funny to see the board members like Major Tom defend themselves. I say if you cannot do it for free then move over and let somebody else do it.
Yes, one cannot please everyone. Unless I am given a choice I am no longer contributing. I've seen this over and over again at a number of springs and
campsites. A group of Friends of <...> gets formed. Then they start collecting money for upkeep. Then they pay themselves compensation.
Then somebody embezzles the money; and finally, the place gets demolished.

ALL BOARD MEMBERS AND THEIR FAMILIES MUST RECUSE THEMSELVES FROM THIS DISCUSSION!!!

and to James Sel, """!!#%•♣ & ♦G()$^%$OM@ :Ü£ ☼♫ my balls in your @ :Ü£ ☼♫ mother ^&*@ and then more of this !#%•♣ up her %$OM@"
James Sel

Un Forgiving, I forgive you! You can stop hiding behind the alias name.  

I encourage others to forgive you too.

I'm fighting hard with myself not to say.......""!!#%•♣ & ♦G()$^%$OM@ :Ü£ ☼♫ balls"

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!