Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
mylo

Hey k6, the South pass is really rough around the Grapevine area.  About 3 weeks it took me 5 hours to go from the springs to Hwy 190.  The snow of course will slow you down even more but depending on your 4x4 driving skills..? Overall if your gonna go, the North route is better.  It took only 3 hrs coming in to the springs that way.  When I went there a few weeks it was our first time and we loved it.  Planning on coming back in April. Good luck.
k6tw

Hi All,
First time posting here. I was planning on going to the racetrack this weekend, but now not so sure. When you mention snow on South Pass, I assume you mean the route that takes you north from the 190, over Hunter Mountain, and then down into the valley where you have to head west a bit to teakettle junction? If so, that mean's a no go for me in my stock 2002 tacoma extended cab 4x4. I did do this route presidents day weekend (february) of this year with no problem and no snow though.  

Can anyone comment on the condition of Saline Valley Road from 190 all the way to the hot springs?

Thanks!

Tim

Terawanderer

On Saturday afternoon I got only to the same place you did on Friday.....your tracks were completely covered !!  I hope you enjoyed the ice and the firewood.....
ORDragonfly5

November 22. 
pics of south pass

http://flic.kr/ps/2EYqEQ
ORDragonfly5

Attempted S. Pass on Friday afternoon, Nov. 22.  Made it about 10 miles in and had to turn around.  Too much snow for even a high clearance 4x4 vehicle with chains.  
Flipper

Additional updates on road conditions in Saline Valley. Lippencott has snow also. No accurate measure but one traveler attempted to leave via Lippencott and turned back. Also soth pass is reported to have as much snow as north.

bob4x4

Thanks Gene. Not to any of us driving full size rigs any more. My Cummins racks up the hi way miles in comfort, my old jeep with lockers not so much
Sam D.

Please do not permanently attach your new shower head. They tend to clog up so there must be a way to take one out for cleaning.
Gene

@Bob4x4,

I've done Lippincott many times in my 2500 Cummins with zero problems. There is really only one tight turn where the outer wheel gets near the edge, it's never as bad as it looks.

I do have a radio I used in Baja to stay in touch with the race truck and the other chase teams. Now to get the others in our little caravan hooked up
Wombat

Quote:
Thanks for the response,I haven't been there since the 60's. I'll be traveling with a Tacoma 4x4 so maybe well do a recon run in that before. Trying it in the dodge. We did pleasant canon South Park loop a few years ago in another Dodge the bridge we a bit sketchy due to the weight

I was concerned about the condition after the recent weather so we kind of split the rigs up by a lot, like you are saying, being cognizant of where each might turn around if the road were gone. In the past I have been with folks using CB and we’d lose comms often and have to stick close. However, with our Ham Radio set ups, using just 70 cm simplex at that point, we had no communication issues at all and it made it easy. Turns out the weather had no impact on the road, but the communication was great. Something to think about . . . if you do not have Ham already . . .

bob4x4

Thanks for the response,I haven't been there since the 60's. I'll be traveling with a Tacoma 4x4 so maybe well do a recon run in that before. Trying it in the dodge. We did pleasant canon South Park loop a few years ago in another Dodge the bridge we a bit sketchy due to the weight
Salt Peter

Great report. Many thanks.
XPBC

The new showerhead is done and on it's way.  This one will be more permanetly mounted to reduce the changing to others and overall monkeywrenching with things that don't need to be " -ucked with."  Hopefully the last one was taken off and replaced with one of the spares for an "unknown reason" and then washed away in the flood.   Keep an eye out as you scrounge for litter.  Spare parts and extra showerheads are discourgaed for the time being. 
XPBC
Wombat

Quote:
And you are absolutely right about ham radio!  It's really the only way to go for trail communication. 

So true!  It is so easy to do, it should be as common as a shovel in everyone’s gear.

Next up for me is portable HF . . . for fun!!! I am working on a plan now.

Quote:
Yeah, I think Wombat meant to say 3/4", not 3/8".  When I looked at it, I thought it was 3/4".  Besides, XPBC made the last showerhead, and he's already got a replacement in the works.  Stay tuned!

Yeah, sorry about that, 3/4 is right.  I goofed in typing.

Even without a shower head it was fine. No it was better than fine. 

It is good it will get all fixed up anyway.

Quote:
Roll Teflon tape

I dropped off two shower heads, a roll of Teflon tape and one shower head extension that could be used as the close nipple but might make the head so low as to annoy people.

Quote:
In your opinion is the lippecott road doable in a long wheelbase Dodge truck? Tires and clearance are not an issue with 37'' 10 ply toyos.Just concerned with the width and not a real tight turning radius

I know my 03 Tacoma fit and an FJ fit.  Last spring going up at night I had a rear wheel slip off, gunned it and was OK. That spot seemed repaired, more or less.  One other spot I remember from this weekend was about the same, narrow, falling apart, rocks and chicken wire holding the rocks but not well constructed while working fine.   I have run Lippincott for a long time and my opinion is that it is in really good shape.  Full size rigs have done it many times but not with me at the wheel so I do not have an opinion as to if you should give it a try.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!