Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 5     «   Prev   2   3   4   5
Sam D.

Miller scouted today. Will remove tomorrow per facebook.
oski6754

NPS just posted that the South Pass is closed due to a stuck NPS Pumper Truck stuck in the snow and North Pass is closed due to snow . . . 

saline snow.png   

Kevin Mokracek

A friend drove out the South Pass 3 days ago and reported the road to be in good shape and no snow.  This storm will no doubt change that.  I would expect at least a few inches toward the top of the pass by now.
Macfly

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving we passed a white Toyota Yaris with a broken rear wheel/axel about half way up the climb to the South Pass off the valley floor. It was on a wider part of the road, but had it been in the twisty part (where we passed the Miller flatbed coming to rescue it) it would have been a real pain to have gotten past.

One of those hidden bumps on the valley floor going to the Bat pole claimed one of our shocks too, and we were only going at 25 or so! I managed to get it all the way back to LA driving gently, but with the sun just right the darned things are invisible, so be wary on 'Bat Road'.

BigDaddyJEH

Smiffy, you have it right also.  I came out a few weeks ago and the valley floor has some nasty surprises.  Most vehicles will not handle them well.  My rig is setup to handle it at speed, but most need to stay below 30 MPH.  John from London
Smiffy1892

Syncro and Kevin have it right - I came out on Sunday - south pass has parts that ain’t fun - definitely seen it in better shape - but some parts are okay. Some surprise bumps out there on the valley floor - take it slow people or we’ll see more rollovers again like last year!

Have seen north pass in better shape imo - washboard on valley floor was not cool....
SYNCRO

Came out  south pass yesterday. Some parts worst I've  seen, some parts not so bad. Massive dust around Lee Flats. Please drive slow when passing other vehicles, unlike that white Tacoma that dusted us big time. No matter which pass you use, be ready for "surprise bumps", they're out there!
Kevin Mokracek

I camped near the covered wagon group at the bottom of the South Pass on Tuesday.  They were going to try make it to the springs by Friday.  They also wanted to go up over Steel Pass and were prepared to break the wagon down and lower it down the steps if needed.  I can't imagine taking a wagon over Steel, IMO the section on the Saline side would probably give them more problems than the steps.  

As to the South Pass condition, true any car could make it if you take it slow but it's the worst condition I have seen it in in several years.  The washboard is particularly bad along with minor washouts what seemed like every 100 yards.   On the other hand the North Pass is in great shape.  I'll be taking the North in and out until the graders make their way to the South.  
johnh

Drove out South Pass on Thursday, 10/25. Seemed better than other times I've driven it, some washboard here and there but imo nothing a regular car couldn't handle, driven carefully.

One surprise on our way from the Springs to the main road: we passed a settler-style wagon with four horses! From the tracks you could see they'd brought it in through South Pass. Rather them than me.
mchef

We drove out this way on Saturday and mdskier is exactly correct on description. It was 3 hours from Palm Springs to South pass with a few stops to admire the view and have some lunch. We were driving a 2013 Subaru Outback.
mdskier

SP is still in normal condition (5 days ago).  1st 8 miles from hwy 190 is very smooth. section
before the Salt Tram lake had groves due to many recent small washouts -just take it slow.
Some washboard in that area. hth
James Sel

The SP has no snow, still no pavement, and has not been graded recently, its in normal condition. 
Major Tom

Please post any up to date information on the south pass in this thread. Anything older than 30 days will be subject to deletion as we go along.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution