Saline Valley Talk

Hosted by SPA, the Saline Preservation Association

Let's talk!

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 15      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
yubert

Looks like someone removed the boulder. I went out on South Pass last night, 3/7/2017, it was dark but I didn't see the boulder.  
jeepdays

OK I used 2WD and never lost traction or had my tires spin, i.e. the road was not "extra torn up" by me, nor was it necessary to waste fuel using 4x4. The road was in fine condition.
Terawanderer

Just came out the pass today.  No snow or mud at all.  The boulder is just north of the Hunter Mt turnoff and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.  It is the biggest rock I have seen fall onto the road in a long time.  Only 15 vehicles at the springs this weekend....
Dusty Trails

X3 on 2wd making the washboard worse.  Do everyone a favor and use the 4x4 if possible.  It is better for the road and the vehicle.
Salt Peter

New signage is gonna be put up in South Pass
[s-l1600]
Salt Peter

I agree on the use of 4WD even when conditions allow for 2WD use.
Hoping to make it out in a couple weeks.
sunny okanogan

bob is right. having lived the last 35 years on dirt road that
is a mini saline rd i'v seen 2wd drive tear up the road much worse than 4wd. the road never had washboard until it was improved enough to drive faster on. when the road was bad the 2wd's couldn't drive fast, but when they could washboard wasn't far behind
Monte

Agree, 2wd adds extra pressure on many parts of the vehicle and may also cause unsafe driving condition
bobhuckaby

IMHO the people who brag about not using 4wd are making the washboard buildup worse, wheelspin on dirt is unavoidable and 2wd is more so
Bob from Tahoe
jeepdays

Just came back through the South Pass on Monday Feb. 27th. Easy ride. Boulder was not an obstacle for my Jeep. Very little mud and never used 4x4. 
webboy52

20161025_230.JPG 
October 20, 2016, I took this photo of my truck beside a GIANT Joshua tree, near the road that cuts off to Lee Mine.  Saline Valley amazes me with the sheer, remote, beauty of the place.

I'll push it over the edge next time I go there. I'll use both arms if necessary.
Salt Peter

No Ford for me...never say never.
Monte

His name is Charlie
James Sel

Is the Lab named Wingnut or something like that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Chat Room

Appreciate the forum? Value SPA's efforts? Donations to the Saline Preservation Association are tax deductible!