Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Jurrassiccruiser
Also discouraging anyone in. 2wd to not go who is asking advice is different than discouraging someone who is in 2wd and a saline pro and not asking for advice. When giving advise, if someone is asking, be extra careful, if not Asking, say what u want.
Jurrassicruiser
As original poster I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. Just been at travertine springs and the paved roads getting here on 395 were gnarly/icy. Seeing all the snow here I decided to go to travertine springs in Bridgeport. It’s funny. Years ago before the forums or anyone saying what to do or not to do.....I learned the old fashioned way....been stuck....been lost....totaled 40k$ trucks before so yeah.... decided to stay on low elevation and avoid springs. Can’t fault anyone for saying go or don’t go. At the end of the day, some of the worst decisions I have made have made me who I am today. Thanks for the feedback and advice—- both and south pass must be impassable right now., unless u have. 44”s or a unimog.....Just based on what I have seen in the bishop Bridgeport area lots of snow
Macfly

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving we passed a white Toyota Yaris with a broken rear wheel/axel about half way up the climb to the South Pass off the valley floor. It was on a wider part of the road, but had it been in the twisty part (where we passed the Miller flatbed coming to rescue it) it would have been a real pain to have gotten past.

One of those hidden bumps on the valley floor going to the Bat pole claimed one of our shocks too, and we were only going at 25 or so! I managed to get it all the way back to LA driving gently, but with the sun just right the darned things are invisible, so be wary on 'Bat Road'.

Sam D.

"Worse case is that someone will pull you out; or the county will send a D9 bulldozer to plow the snow off the road" ...hmmm... I would not count on that. After done an extensive amount of dumbassery myself I strongly encourage folks to come prepared. Miller Tow will charge you thousands to get you out. Plus you do not want to block the road for days so nobody could come in or out.

"he/she can make a decision in-situ to keep going or turn around" - this does not work well for people who live far, does it?

Just my 2 cents - not trying to start polemics etc.
Salt Peter

"Outright stating to someone that they can't go out there in a 2wd is criminal."

Criminal? Really?
Encouraging someone to put themselves at risk and others at risk isn't a good thing.
Monte

By going there in a 2wd when there’s snow you are jeopardizing yours and others lives. You might be depressed enough not to care about death but others have families and definitely don’t want to see an uncontrollable 2wd sliding downhills towards them or rolling backwards towards them!
Do not go there with a 2wd when there’s snow.
JayOtheMountains

I'm definitely not waxing-poetically, nor speaking pejoratively. Everyone's skills and vehicles are different. Outright stating to someone that they can't go out there in a 2wd is criminal. The county just finished grading the road. Overall, SV road is not the nightmare road that often gets described. Even when others have talked about airing down and taking 4 hours to get in, I have - days later - driven in on normal pressure, in 2WD and done so with an average time of 2 hours.

If anything, I'm waxing-philosophically and encouraging Jurassic to go for it and see what happens. Other's thoughts just seem to follow their slip stream, don't they? Maybe we are all just motes of dust to that trail thought. If anything he/she can make a decision in-situ to keep going or turn around. Either way they're getting out and doing something. There's no reason to cower away from a trip because there's a hint of bad weather. Worse case is that someone will pull you out; or the county will send a D9 bulldozer to plow the snow off the road... Regardless, it's all one trail community out there and you'll come away with a good experience.

That being said, it's supposed to snow a bit this weekend. Hope folks have brought the proper provisions.
Monte

This forum is to inform others about the road conditions according to the type of vehicle they have. It’s not about dreams or desires. For that you should post your poem somewhere else.
JayOtheMountains

Or, do go there and don't get stuck and have a good time. Live to tell about it, and scoff at everyone else who tells you otherwise.
Monte

Don’t go there with a 2wd. You’ll get stuck and make it difficult for others to use the road.
James Sel

The passes will not close due to snow. Instead the become impassable until someone pushes through. Which pass will become impassable first? The one that gets that much snow first. I've seen it snow on the South heavier than the North before but that's not the norm since the North has a higher elevation and is further north. 

The best way to plan for snow on passes is to "Wait and see what falls" meanwhile people that bought chains and have never used then should practice putting them on and testing then on a sandy road IMO. ...not that I SMH when I see someone trying to figure things out in the wet and windy cold.

Excluding the drifts the south pass will get exactly 3.71" this week.

peneumbra

Don't worry about it. If it's your fate to be stranded forever on a high pass overlooking Saline Valley, to slowly freeze to death or die of hunger, well, just go with the program. And, eventually, your desiccated remains will be discovered when the snows melt and your relatives will be sad, but they'll get over it, eventually.

On the other hand, you could just stay home and watch Live P.D. ...
Sam D.

North Pass gets snow more often and earlier. It's raining now. I suggest you check on Friday after the rain. Bring chains.
Jurassiccruiser

any idea if there is snow on the south pass right now?  I am taking my nissan high roof van its on a truck chassis  but it is only 2wd?  when does snow typically close the south pass?
also which pass closes first typically, the south or the north?

BigDaddyJEH

Smiffy, you have it right also.  I came out a few weeks ago and the valley floor has some nasty surprises.  Most vehicles will not handle them well.  My rig is setup to handle it at speed, but most need to stay below 30 MPH.  John from London
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution