Saline Preservation Association

The voice of Saline Valley

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
oski6754

NPS just posted that the South Pass is closed due to a stuck NPS Pumper Truck stuck in the snow and North Pass is closed due to snow . . . 

saline snow.png   

Kevin Mokracek

What helped me in the past is a simple shovel.  Not for digging out snow but for throwing dirt on icy roadway to gain traction.  I have used it going up and coming down the passes.  
James Sel

Bkellz, you will be driving in with snow on the ground but it will not be a problem. You'll be likely watching the pass to see if its going to snow up there the night before you leave.  The SP will be more likely passable with out chains than not but I know you'll have then.
tonapah tom

good advice.. thanks..we all need to think..keep head out of but..
fheiser

No two people are alike in skill nor are any two rigs alike, 2WD or 4WD.

Know yourself. Know your rig. Winter in the mountain passes is not a piece of cake. 4wd will help you go but it doesn't help you stop. Big off road tires and chains can help but don't perform miracles. When you bury it in 4wd you are well and truly buried.

Neither pass is a good place to learn how to handle your rig in 2 ft. of snow. North pass is colder, often with deeper snow and South pass can leave you stuck in narrow places with no good way out. Landslides happen. It is important to turn around before it gets bad. It is better than trying a thirty point turn in a slot that turns out to be too narrow to complete it, trying to back uphill when there are other rigs behind you, or slipping off the edge of an embankment. Or just spinning your wheels when your chassis is resting on top of 3 feet of snow.

Understand that the weather you have seen is not the upper limit of what can be. Be humble and be prepared to survive the worst Mother Nature can send your way.  That is good advice for summer, too.

In fair weather and good roads almost any 2wd vehicle with reasonable clearence and good rubber can make it, if driven with caution. Put enough rain or snow up there and you roll the dice no matter what your rig is.
Bkellz
Kevin,
Thanks. Yeah I know it’s silly asking now, I will be checking this regularly and snowfall in general. Was more curious if a local might have a feel for it, or what this year is gearing up to look like. We will have chains and if it’s not too crazy have a go at it. If it’s too much we may take Lippincott in and out. Doing my utmost to help my dad wreck his new toy 😎
Kevin Mokracek

Bkellz,
You just need to look at the weather as that time gets closer.  There is no way to know.  
Bkellz
Hey all,
Obviously right now its looking like a lot of snow and I know none of you can predict the future, but I was planning on taking my dad and brother out to SV through South Pass around the 19th-21st of this month? Is it looking like South Pass will be snowed in? I have a lifted 4wd Xterra and my dad has a 2016 4runner 4wd, curious if you all think we'll have a problem, or if this is looking like a major snow year for the area generally.Been out there a bunch but never with significant snow fall.  I'm hoping the weather cooperates around with us. 
Thanks!
Thunder58

Looking at the weather maps and radar it looks like both the North and South Passes are being pounded by snow. Please check with CH and other road access sites before approaching 
Kevin Mokracek

A friend drove out the South Pass 3 days ago and reported the road to be in good shape and no snow.  This storm will no doubt change that.  I would expect at least a few inches toward the top of the pass by now.
FreedomYogis

Has anyone come in or out of South Pass since Thanksgiving (11/22) that can give a proper update on road conditions, mainly snow cover on ground or recent rain that has caused washouts? There have been a few weather systems since and I’m curious what actually made it out there. I love ya’ll but don’t need heresay or fear-mongering, just factual, firsthand experience. Thank you!
Salt Peter

Yes the Airstream driver was forewarned by many at the springs. It cost him around 3K.
bobhuckaby

Monte is well on the point, I remember teaching the teenager to consider the consequences, and that never ends.
The benefit of his comment is that flatlanders have no idea of something like a consequence of that trailer completely blocking the road.  I saw the rig at the springs and told myself that guy is stupid - and other people had to also pay the price.
bob from tahoe
James Sel

Abstract facts of coarse
Monte

Nobody’s anybody’s advisor here. We’re just talking about facts and potential road hazards. Really appreciate those who take into consideration basic common sense and dont mix off road-snow-2wd. Like that guy who got stuck with his trailer two years ago and closed south pass for a long time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Please consider supporting SPA with your tax deductible contribution